chili recipes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dennis, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Looking for some great chili recipes.
    Thanks
    Dennis

    Tags:

  2. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:56:44 -0600, Dennis wrote:

    > Looking for some great chili recipes.
    > Thanks
    > Dennis

    There is a million of these.. how will you choose? I have one that I got
    a long time ago that was posted here and it is one of the best I have ever
    concocted. If the OP doesn't put it up again, I will find it. Of course
    if you google chili..you will get the mother lode.

  3. Clay Irving

    Clay Irving Guest

  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

  5. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:59:15 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

    > I see you have my chili recipe. Thanks for attributing it properly.

    Which one is yours? Clay has more chili recipes than google.

  6. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    jay wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:59:15 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
    >

    >>I see you have my chili recipe. Thanks for attributing it properly.

    > Which one is yours? Clay has more chili recipes than google.

    Measurements are approximate. If you have pork stock available for some
    reason, use it instead of the beef stock; it's much better.

    You can mash up and add a can of whole peeled tomatoes if you just gotta.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    Bob's Red Chili Without Tomatoes

    1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground venison (or beef hamburger meat)
    1 pound frozen ground turkey, thawed (or beef stew meat, or cube steak)
    1 large (or 2 small) yellow onions
    2 cups water
    8 dried New Mexico or Guajillo chile peppers
    4 large dried ancho chile peppers
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
    1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans or "chili beans"
    1 to 2 tsp cornmeal or masa mix
    cayenne pepper, to taste [I used between 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon]

    Break up the venison in a large skillet and begin browning over high
    heat. When the meat has turned gray and there is some grease in the pan,
    add the turkey. Continue cooking until all is thoroughly done and
    browned somewhat. Transfer to a large stockpot. Sit the dirty skillet
    aside for later.

    Remove stems from New Mexico chiles and put peppers in blender. Whir
    until they are ground up pretty good. Tear the ancho chiles into large
    pieces, removing stems and seeds. Put in small saucepan with the water;
    simmer for 10 minutes.

    Meanwhile, coarsely chop onions and sauté in the grease remaining in the
    skillet. When onions are soft and becoming translucent, transfer to the
    stockpot.

    Pour the stewed anchos and water into the blender with the ground chiles
    and blend until liquified. Pour the chile paste into stockpot. Rinse the
    blender with a little water and pour that in the stockpot.

    Add all remaining ingredients except the beans and the oatmeal. Simmer
    for several hours. Add canned beans and simmer another 20 minutes.
    Adjust seasoning (salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and maybe garlic
    powder) to taste. Add the cornmeal, and simmer 10 or 15 minutes until
    thickened (stir occasionally because it can burn at this point.)

  7. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:10:37 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

    > jay wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:59:15 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
    >>

    >>>I see you have my chili recipe. Thanks for attributing it properly.

    >> Which one is yours? Clay has more chili recipes than google.

    > Bob's Red Chili Without Tomatoes

    <nice recipe>

    Here is the one I have made many times. It is great! I got it here. I
    changed some of the ingredients..So NOW this is MINE...kidding. I should
    try it as written.

    CHILI MUY BUENO (I think it is Marcella Hazan's/Sheldon's recipe)

    2 lbs. beef chuck 1/2" cubes
    2 lbs. beef chuck, ground
    2 lbs. pork butt, ground (I used venison)
    1/4 cup lard, or corn oil
    3 cups yellow onion, chopped
    1 head fresh garlic, crushed, and chopped
    1 cup celery tops, chopped (did not add celery tops)
    3 lg. ribs celery, chopped (did not add celery)
    1 lg. green bell pepper, chopped (did not add bell pepper)
    1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped (did not add bell pepper)
    2 cans, 28 oz., crushed tomato
    6 lg. bay leaves
    1/4 cup mild chili powder (unsalted) (used fresh ground chipotle powder
    to taste)
    1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsely, chopped (did not use parsely)
    1 tsp. cummin seeds, hand rubbed
    2 chipolte peppers, morita, (red jalapeno, smoked),
    rough chopped 1 tbs.Penzeys adobo (unsalted) (did not use the adobo..the
    chipotle powder is plenty of heat)
    2 tsp. fresh black pepper, coarse ground
    4 tbs. white vinegar 1 square bakers chocolate (unsweetened)
    2 cans, 1 lb., red kidney beans, drained, liquid reserved
    2 cans, 1 lb., black beans, drained, liquid reserved

    1. In heavy stainless steel, 10 quart pot, heat lard, or corn oil,
    and brown meat, a small amount at a time, on high heat.
    Remove meat to bowl with slotted spoon. When all meat is browned, return to pot,
    and add onions. Cook until translucent, not brown. Add garlic, and cook
    briefly. Add celery, and bell peppers, and cook briefly. Add tomatoes,
    and reserved bean liquid, lower heat, and bring to low simmer. Add bay
    leaves, chili powder, parsley, oregano, thyme, cummin, chipolte peppers,
    vinegar, adobo, black pepper, and chocolate. Simmer slowly, partially
    covered for 2 hours. Stir frequently, and add water if necessary. Add
    beans, and heat through. Salt to taste with kosher salt. If hotter chili
    is to your taste, add red pepper flakes, NOT Louisiana hot sauce. Do not
    forget to remove bay leaves.

    2. Serve over rice, or with warmed corn tortillas. Garnish with shredded white
    cheddar, or Latin type cheese if available, chopped raw yellow onion, sour
    cream, avocado, fresh diced tomitillo, or tomato, and lime wedges. Mucho cold
    cervesa, or margaritas to be offered as accompaniment.

  8. On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:56:44 -0600, [email protected] (Dennis) wrote:

    > Looking for some great chili recipes.

    Here's ours. The masa flour mixture at the end makes a big
    difference. Makes it richer. Also, I recently substituted ground
    beef with cubed sirloin, and it was great.

    2 lbs ground beef
    15 oz can spicy chili beans
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/4 cup water
    15 oz can tomato sauce
    2 cup water
    tabasco, to taste
    1/3 cup masa flour
    Spice Mix
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    3 pinches oregano
    1/2 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika

    1 Brown beef with onion. Add beans, tomato sauce, 2 C water, and spice
    mix. Simmer 1 hour. Mix masa flour with ¼ C water. Add this to the
    chili. Simmer 10 more minutes.

  9. [email protected] (Dennis) wrote in news:[email protected]
    3336.bay.webtv.net:

    > Looking for some great chili recipes.
    > Thanks
    > Dennis

    With or without beans?

    --

    Charles
    The significant problems we face cannot be solved

  10. Clay Irving

    Clay Irving Guest