chills

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
Hey all...here in the southern hemisphere it's winter...on a cold morning I can ride to work, no probs- it's 4 degrees C (fahrenheit about 38 maybe?) but i always cop a chill while waiting for an elevator from the basement car park at work, to the showers. Its about 5 minutes only- but I always suffer a bad chill. I wear a bandana to avoid heat loss from the noggin...it helps but not enough !! any ideas?

Maybe carry an additional light layer that you can put on when you get off the bike? If you carry a rain jacket, maybe you could use that?

Aussie Steve said:
Hey all...here in the southern hemisphere it's winter...on a cold morning I can ride to work, no probs- it's 4 degrees C (fahrenheit about 38 maybe?) but i always cop a chill while waiting for an elevator from the basement car park at work, to the showers. Its about 5 minutes only- but I always suffer a bad chill. I wear a bandana to avoid heat loss from the noggin...it helps but not enough !! any ideas?
I second matagi.

However I'm not sure why you are geting a chill in 5 minutes standing still. I usually find I am so rugged up in the cold to protect aganst the 20mph headwinds coming at me on the ride... that being stationary for 5 minutes afterwards in no wind is not usually a problem. The air doesn't even come into contact with the inner layer. Are you wearing enough layers to start with?

I can't wear too may layers as i will get too warm on the ride! what I wear is fine for riding. I dont have a thermal, i go cheap and just wear a cotton T-shirt under the jersey, of course i use arm & leg-warmers. I seem to lose a lot of heat (i.e. i feel cold) from the torso and neck especially...I might carry a hoodie (hooded jacket) that I will throw on to avoid the chill... last week our elevators were Kaput so I had to walk outside and then into the front of the building...felt the chill much worse then :-(
BTW matagi... I follow St Kilda, cant wait for next sundays match- should be a good one :)))