China Overtaking Europe

davidmc said:
The chart on the left is the one the gov't likes to parade about. the chart on the right more accurately reflects the distribution.

How do you account for the discrepencies ?

Colorado Ryder said:
Just how is past military spending included in the current budget? Your assertion was that military spending dwarfs all others. That is wrong.

Payments to Veterans for various reasons, perhaps ?

MountainPro said:
...minerals is the key to the moon.
...and the enormous deposits of green cheese. Once the logistics are worked out and full scale production starts, there is likely to be a dearth of fondue sets available on the open market - buy early and beat the rush.

Billsworld said:
...My point was more towards the cost of giving illegals social services...
So how much money are you talking of? Is it documented that this is a major burden on the USA's economy, or is it just an impression that this is so?
I would have thought that "illegals" would have relatively limited access to government-funded services and that, in combination with being a small percentage of the population, the social financial burden they present would make up a relatively small portion of the overall costs to the community. That's not to say that it is not a problem, but only to ask - is it being viewed in proportion to other spending?
Note: I have never been to the USA and have little knowledge of the situations there, so my questions come from a position of ignorance.

Carrera said:
There's too much negativity about China. China will become a very powerful economic giant where western companies will make enormous amounts of money. Chinese people will also loosen up a hell of a lot. Chinese people now have a taste for the good life, discos, fashion, coffee-shops and especially tourism.
The Chinese government is also relaxing and it's pretty obvious politicians will be forced to treat their people better as they prosper and become more free.
The only real concern is relations with Japan that are a bit sour.
I know many Chinese people personally and let me say they're a good laugh and very hospitable. Their main interest is getting a good education and making money.
Plus, they can cook damned good food! :p
But they need to be educated in hygiene so they they stop spreading lethal viruses all over the world. They need to stop eating dogs, cats, insects, etc. They need to stop living with their undomesticated animals, chicken, sheep, etc.

I wouldn't want to live in China for all the tea in China. A doctor friend of ours went to Beijeng some few years ago and came back and nearly died of a "mysterious overseas infection of his liver"....and that's that.

darkboong said:
Payments to Veterans for various reasons, perhaps ?
Exactly. It is quite a tab at that. With all the medical bills, prescriptions, treatments and such. I've been to the VA and seen the effects.

EoinC said:
So how much money are you talking of? Is it documented that this is a major burden on the USA's economy, or is it just an impression that this is so?
I would have thought that "illegals" would have relatively limited access to government-funded services and that, in combination with being a small percentage of the population, the social financial burden they present would make up a relatively small portion of the overall costs to the community. That's not to say that it is not a problem, but only to ask - is it being viewed in proportion to other spending?
Note: I have never been to the USA and have little knowledge of the situations there, so my questions come from a position of ignorance.
The uncollected social security and taxes add up to a goodly portion.

ptlwp said:
But they need to be educated in hygiene so they they stop spreading lethal viruses all over the world.

You don't need much excuse to trot out some racist dogma do you ?

The clue is in the name : "Bird Flu", it's the birds that spread it.

ptlwp said:
A doctor friend of ours went to Beijeng some few years ago and came back and nearly died of a "mysterious overseas infection of his liver"....and that's that.

A doctor, right ? Most likely his (or her) disease was related to alcohol abuse. A startlingly high proportion of doctors drink very heavily (male and female). Even M*A*S*H paid attention to that - remember the Still in the Swamp ?

There are many things that go against China, i.e. pollution.
Still, China has an ancient tradition of great cultural achievement that outsrips the U.S. by a fairly big margin even if the U.S. left China behind in technology and human rights in the more progressive states.
Even so, China is now alive with creativity, art, craft, culture and booming trade. It's sort of come alive over the last few decades.
The way things look, China will possibly be more powerful than the USSR ever was although that's still a while off, perhaps.
China doesn't have the problems the west has either, especially with regard to religion and race. That is, China is very united, it employs its own people in vast numbers rather than relying on immigrant labour.
In the future, the U.K. and European population will be made up of numerous ethnic groups and will probably be a multi-religious society while China will have its own dominant Chinese culture built on secular values and technology. This will leave China far more unified and stable for economic growth.
Maybe this is close to what you've been endorsing all along for the U.S.? That is, secular, technological social development. Once China improves its human rights it could become a highly progressive country. Personally I think China will become less authoritarian and tolerant as people continue to live better in the cities.

davidmc said:
They have to import energy, they have dwindling water supplies, & their share of arable land is shrinking. Why should I be scared. They're economy is booming. Great. People will demand more liberties. their problem is that they have not produced entrepreneurs. They have no intellectual property.

I don't agree with you on that point but I love it when you wind Boogers up (judging by his outrage).
I lived with Chinese people while in Spain and know a lot about them. I do know, from personal observation, that Chinese girls fight like cat and dog, pull each others hair and have terrible tempers. I even had Chinese girls ask me to marry them (very pretty as well).
Her words were, "I make good wife, cook well, clean well and we make very good sex!"
How can a guy turn down an offer like that, I ask? :)
However, educated Chinese are very polite and the behaviour I witnessed doesn't reflect all levels of society.
Basically there are very cultured, educated Chinese and other Chinese who correspond to our own football hooligans in a sense.
And the richest aspect of Chinese culture is the martial arts and kung-fu ethos that combines with philosophy:
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

ptlwp said:
But they need to be educated in hygiene so they they stop spreading lethal viruses all over the world. They need to stop eating dogs, cats, insects, etc. They need to stop living with their undomesticated animals, chicken, sheep, etc.

I wouldn't want to live in China for all the tea in China. A doctor friend of ours went to Beijeng some few years ago and came back and nearly died of a "mysterious overseas infection of his liver"....and that's that.

Carrera said:
And the richest aspect of Chinese culture is the martial arts and kung-fu ethos that combines with philosophy:
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."
******** philosophy. Why should I become the shape of anything? Why not be your own shape? Why be confined?

Carrera said:
******** philosophy. Why should I become the shape of anything? Why not be your own shape? Why be confined?

EoinC said:
I wasnt ppointing directly at illegals for all the massive costs of social services. Here is an example though. A mexican woman can cross the border a few days before her due date. Then gives birth to a US citizen. She now has all the social services she needs to support her and her new baby for the next 18 years. In the US ,a hospital will not refuse treatment to anyone. Illegals can and do use the emergency room like a clinic. No one looks at the cost of public education of the children of illegals. Then we have crime rates etc... I didnt see any of those numbers in the cute little pie charts of the CBO. My info doent come there or from New York Times op ed pages , It comes from first hand veiwing of a neghboring city with 30,000 Cape Verdians, mostly illegal. I have mentioned before that a contribution is required of all the citizens in a free society. I dont know about europe, but the US is subsidising the poor and illegals to multiply and in turn forcing the miidle class to pay for it in the form of taxation. BTW, I employ many imagrants, and am not against people coming here legaly on a work visa and then go home. Merry Christmas BW

I forgot to add this is a famous quotation by Bruce Lee.

Colorado Ryder said:

Sadly, it's always the same problem. People such as you and I don't really mind immigrants at all but we become irritated by the injustices and corruption of a system that becomes abused.
Every American I talk to online these days complains about the Mexico situation. I'm sure Mexiacans are very nice people and simply want to escape the poverty trap. But, I agree, immigration has to be managed and seen to be fair.

Billsworld said:
I wasnt ppointing directly at illegals for all the massive costs of social services. Here is an example though. A mexican woman can cross the border a few days before her due date. Then gives birth to a US citizen. She now has all the social services she needs to support her and her new baby for the next 18 years. In the US ,a hospital will not refuse treatment to anyone. Illegals can and do use the emergency room like a clinic. No one looks at the cost of public education of the children of illegals. Then we have crime rates etc... I didnt see any of those numbers in the cute little pie charts of the CBO. My info doent come there or from New York Times op ed pages , It comes from first hand veiwing of a neghboring city with 30,000 Cape Verdians, mostly illegal. I have mentioned before that a contribution is required of all the citizens in a free society. I dont know about europe, but the US is subsidising the poor and illegals to multiply and in turn forcing the miidle class to pay for it in the form of taxation. BTW, I employ many imagrants, and am not against people coming here legaly on a work visa and then go home. Merry Christmas BW

davidmc said:
It is a natural cycle Carrera. Nomadic-Agrarian-Industrial-Informational. All go through the process. The lower down the scale one is, the lower the standard of living and life expectancy. China is in the Industrial stage whereas U>S> and E>U are in ther Informational/cyber-if you will-stage. It is a proven migration. Knowledge-Information is power.
Except for India which is going straight from agrarian to informational.Almost half of the world's software is being written in India and they too are going like "gangbusters".