Chinese frog legs

GIPI

Guest
Hi All,
I am looking for a chinese recipe that does frog legs cooked in a ginger
and onion/scallion sauce.
This was quite an amazing dish which I have had whilst in Singapore and
it was served in terracotta pots.
I have googled for weeks but without much luck.
I hope you can help.
TIA!
Gp.

GIPI wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am looking for a chinese recipe that does frog legs cooked in a ginger
> and onion/scallion sauce.
> This was quite an amazing dish which I have had whilst in Singapore and
> it was served in terracotta pots.
> I have googled for weeks but without much luck.
> I hope you can help.
> TIA!
> Gp.

http://www.sbestfood.com/happychef.htm Check out about 2/3 down this
page. It is a clue!

Frogs Legs in Garlic Sauce
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients
4 Pairs jumbo frogs' legs, -trimmed -about 1 pound
1 Stalk fresh lemon grass soaked for 1 hour in warm water -- finely
chopped
OR
1 TB dried lemon grass

2 fresh red chili peppers -- sliced
2 green onions -- sliced
2 Cloves garlic -- crushed
1 1/2 ts sugar
salt
2 TB Nuoc Mam sauce
OR
2 TB Maggi seasoning and 1 garlic clove -- crushed

2 oz bean thread vermicelli
2 TB vegetable oil
1 sm onion -- chopped
1 c chicken strock or water
1/2 c coconut cream or heavy cream
3 TB cornstarch mixed with a little water
freshly ground black pepper
cilantro sprigs -- for garnish
Directions
Chop the grogs' legs into bite-sized pieces and rinse with cold water
to get rid of any pieces of bone. Pat dry and put in the refrigerator.
Combine the lemon grass, chilies, green onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and
1 tablespoon Nuoc mam sauce in a blender or food processor until a very
fine paste results. Rub the paste over the frogs' legs, cover and
refrigerate again for 30 minutes.

Soak the vermicelli in warm wate for 30 minutes. Drain and cut into 2
inch lengths.

Heat the oil in a wok over moderate heat. Add the onion and saute until
soft, then add the frogs' legs and brown well, turning them over from
time to time. This should take 3 minutes.

Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and
simmer for 15 minutes.

Uncover the wok and add the coconut cream. Add the cornstarch and the
remainng Nuoc Mam sauce. Stir as the sauce thickens and cook for
another 15 minutes.

Add the vermicelli and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle
with black pepper and garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Serve immediately with rice or French bread or rice noodles. It is
advisable to offfer an alternative to frogs; legs since there are a few
cynics who do not believe that frogs' legs taste very much like
chicken. (why do they say that everything unusual 'tastes like
chicken'?)
Recipe Source: Paulette Do Van

Garlic Frog Legs Recipe #14089
An original recipe taken from the Paul Martin cookbook and translated
into English by me.
16 large frog's legs or 32 small frog's legs
all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons corn oil
4 teaspoons garlic butter
salt
pepper
lemons, juice of
flat leaf parsley
lemon slices (to garnish dish)

4 servings Change size or US/metric
Change to: servings US Metric

50 minutes 15 mins prep
ADVERTISEMENT - Remove this ad
Clean legs under cold water and dry them.
With a small knife, make an incision between and bone of lower part of
one leg and insert through the other (criss-cross).
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Salt and pepper each leg and cover them with flour.
In a saucepan add the butter and brown them 4 minutes each side.
In a small pot add the garlic butter, parsley, and lemon juice; simmer
a few minutes.
Put the legs in an oven proof-baking dish; pour over the garlic sauce
and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.
Serve on preheated plates. Bon appetit

Umkep char chnay.
(Gingery frog legs. )

Delicious frog legs with caramelized ginger sauce is authentic Khmer
country food.
Back home, the poor Khmer Krom eat frog legs and the well to do eat
chicken legs.
But in America, frog legs are expensive, fresh frog legs are hard to
find and it is cheaper to eat chicken legs. :)

Ingredients :
1 lb. Fresh or frozen frog legs.
¼ Cup juliennes fresh ginger root.
¼ Cup water.
2 Tablespoons cooking oil.
1 Tablespoon fish sauce.
1 Teaspoon sugar.
¼ Teaspoon salt.
2 Cloves garlic. Minced.
1 Yellow onion. Sliced.
1 Stalk green onion. Chopped.
A dash of black pepper.
2 Hot chili pepper. Sliced. (Option).
CARAMELIZED SAUCE:
1 Teaspoon sugar.
1 Teaspoon water.

Procedures :

CARAMELIZED SAUCE:
In a small pot put 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon water, and cooked it
in low heat till sugar turns dark brown color, and not burn.
Immediately pour water over caramelized sugar. Stirs.
Removed caramelized sauce from the heat and set a side.
Pre-heated a skillet or wok, when it hot pour-cooking oil.
Sauté garlic, yellow onion, ginger and frog legs.
Seasoning with fish sauce, sugar, black pepper and caramelized sauce.
Simmering till frog legs tender,( occasionally turns frog legs over
during cooking).
Add hot chili pepper and green onion before serve.
Serve hot with rice.

Pamjd!
Hats off to you!
Thanks a bunch!