Chinese/Japanese Teapot Sources in NYC

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by John Soto, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. John Soto

    John Soto Guest

    hey all -

    I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to source
    it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of
    Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.

    thanks !

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    John Soto wrote:
    > hey all -
    >
    > I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to
    > source it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good
    > selection of Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
    >
    > thanks !

    I've got a nice Japanese teapot set you can buy. It's decorated with bamboo leaves and gold, almost
    looks like the Mikasa set of china my mom has. It's porcelain. Has the teapot, sugar and creamer
    dishes and 6 cups. Email me if you're interested.

    Jill

  3. "John Soto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hey all -
    >
    > I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to
    > source it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good
    > selection of Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
    >
    > thanks !

    http://www.o-cha.net/english/world/report/report01.htm has articles on tea in Chinatown and Japanese
    tea shops in NYC. Most high-end shops that sell tea will also sell good quality teapots.

    rona

  4. Sportkite1

    Sportkite1 Guest

    >From: John Soto

    >While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of Yixing
    >or Tetsubin teapots.

    Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
    http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm

    See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well. They also have some nice Yixing
    teapots. I'd never heard of those before. Hmmmm.....I need to start collecting teapots. ;)

    Ellen

  5. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:31:35 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > John Soto wrote:
    >> hey all -
    >>
    >> I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to
    >> source it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good
    >> selection of Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
    >>
    >> thanks !
    >
    > I've got a nice Japanese teapot set you can buy. It's decorated with bamboo leaves and gold,
    > almost looks like the Mikasa set of china my mom has. It's porcelain. Has the teapot, sugar and
    > creamer dishes and 6 cups. Email me if you're interested.

    Sounds pretty, but the OP sounds like he's looking for fairly specific types of
    Chinese/Japanese teapots. The Yixing teapots are made from the colored clays (red, purple,
    beige, etc.) from a particular region in China, and are supposedly very good for the
    brewing of tea. The clay is unglazed, and acquires a patina of sorts on the inside. Yixing
    teapots come in a wide assortment of designs, so they're very decorative as well as
    functional. My mother collects them. I only have one, but it is very pretty with a bamboo
    motif carved in the handles and on the sides.

    The Japanese Tetsubin teapots are, IIRC, cast iron. They are also quite lovely, and some have
    beautiful enamel decorations on the outside. I am skeptical that an authentic Chinese or
    Japanese tea set (vs. one made in that style for European tastes/usage) would have sugar or
    creamer dishes, because sugar and cream are not used with Chinese or Japanese tea.

    To John, sorry I don't know any sources in NY for this stuff. Before you go, however, it
    might be interesting to check on Ebay. Last time I looked, quite a few vendors had Yixing
    teapots for sale (haven't checked on the Tetsubin) and it might be worth a look to get an
    idea of what price range and styles are available. It's been a while, but mine was less
    than $20, including a pretty brocade box and the S/H from Hong Kong. I see them locally (SW
    Ohio) every once in a while, but usually for over $25 even for the plainer styles.

    Ariane

  6. Orion

    Orion Guest

    "SportKite1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: John Soto
    >
    > >While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of
    > >Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
    >
    > Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
    > http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm
    >
    > See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well. They also
    have
    > some nice Yixing teapots. I'd never heard of those before. Hmmmm.....I
    need to
    > start collecting teapots. ;)
    >
    > Ellen

    Oh nooooooooooooooo. I must have one! Pineneedle and dragonfly are the ones I like. I've been
    drinking lots of tea, loose tea, vanilla is my current favorite, but then again I love all things
    vanilla. Real vanilla. I have to start saving for one of these!

    Suzan

  7. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "SportKite1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : >From: John Soto
    :
    : >While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection
    of
    : >Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
    :
    : Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
    : http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm
    :
    : See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well.
    They also have
    : some nice Yixing teapots. I'd never heard of those before.
    Hmmmm.....I need to
    : start collecting teapots. ;)
    :
    : Ellen
    :
    :===========

    Oooooooooo, ahhhhhhhh! <G> The Dragonfly is beautiful. I really like the Hira, too! I love the
    texture of it. Little knobby things are so cool! The Pine Needle one is neat, too!

    As if I needed any more $$ temptations this week! Arrgghh! Hmmm, and the Iron Trivets look
    interesting...

    I'm considering buying a new bicycle. I found a Specialized Crossroads model that I'm considering.

  8. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    SportKite1 wrote:

    >>From: John Soto
    >

    >>While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of
    >>Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
    >

    > Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
    > http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm
    >
    > See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well. They also have some nice Yixing
    > teapots. I'd never heard of those before. Hmmmm.....I need to start collecting teapots. ;)
    >
    > Ellen

    You're suppose to use only 1 type of tea in a Yixing teapot. So there're plenty of excuses to buy
    loads of teapot. My dad has got crates of them...

    Ada