Chinese/Japanese Teapot Sources in NYC

J

John Soto

hey all -

I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to source
it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of
Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.

thanks !

John Soto wrote:
> hey all -
>
> I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to
> source it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good
> selection of Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
>
> thanks !

I've got a nice Japanese teapot set you can buy. It's decorated with bamboo leaves and gold, almost
looks like the Mikasa set of china my mom has. It's porcelain. Has the teapot, sugar and creamer
dishes and 6 cups. Email me if you're interested.

Jill

"John Soto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hey all -
>
> I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to
> source it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good
> selection of Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
>
> thanks !

http://www.o-cha.net/english/world/report/report01.htm has articles on tea in Chinatown and Japanese
tea shops in NYC. Most high-end shops that sell tea will also sell good quality teapots.

rona
--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

>From: John Soto

>While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of Yixing
>or Tetsubin teapots.

Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm

See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well. They also have some nice Yixing
teapots. I'd never heard of those before. Hmmmm.....I need to start collecting teapots. ;)

Ellen

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:31:35 -0600, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Soto wrote:
>> hey all -
>>
>> I will be visiting NYC in a couple of days. Always wanted one but never took out the time to
>> source it out. While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good
>> selection of Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
>>
>> thanks !
>
> I've got a nice Japanese teapot set you can buy. It's decorated with bamboo leaves and gold,
> almost looks like the Mikasa set of china my mom has. It's porcelain. Has the teapot, sugar and
> creamer dishes and 6 cups. Email me if you're interested.

Sounds pretty, but the OP sounds like he's looking for fairly specific types of
Chinese/Japanese teapots. The Yixing teapots are made from the colored clays (red, purple,
beige, etc.) from a particular region in China, and are supposedly very good for the
brewing of tea. The clay is unglazed, and acquires a patina of sorts on the inside. Yixing
teapots come in a wide assortment of designs, so they're very decorative as well as
functional. My mother collects them. I only have one, but it is very pretty with a bamboo
motif carved in the handles and on the sides.

The Japanese Tetsubin teapots are, IIRC, cast iron. They are also quite lovely, and some have
beautiful enamel decorations on the outside. I am skeptical that an authentic Chinese or
Japanese tea set (vs. one made in that style for European tastes/usage) would have sugar or
creamer dishes, because sugar and cream are not used with Chinese or Japanese tea.

To John, sorry I don't know any sources in NY for this stuff. Before you go, however, it
might be interesting to check on Ebay. Last time I looked, quite a few vendors had Yixing
teapots for sale (haven't checked on the Tetsubin) and it might be worth a look to get an
idea of what price range and styles are available. It's been a while, but mine was less
than $20, including a pretty brocade box and the S/H from Hong Kong. I see them locally (SW
Ohio) every once in a while, but usually for over $25 even for the plainer styles.

Ariane

"SportKite1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >From: John Soto
>
> >While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of
> >Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
>
> Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
> http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm
>
> See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well. They also
have
> some nice Yixing teapots. I'd never heard of those before. Hmmmm.....I
need to
> start collecting teapots. ;)
>
> Ellen
>
Oh nooooooooooooooo. I must have one! Pineneedle and dragonfly are the ones I like. I've been
drinking lots of tea, loose tea, vanilla is my current favorite, but then again I love all things
vanilla. Real vanilla. I have to start saving for one of these!

Suzan

"SportKite1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: >From: John Soto
:
: >While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection
of
: >Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
:
: Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
: http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm
:
: See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well.
They also have
: some nice Yixing teapots. I'd never heard of those before.
Hmmmm.....I need to
: start collecting teapots. ;)
:
: Ellen
:
:===========

Oooooooooo, ahhhhhhhh! <G> The Dragonfly is beautiful. I really like the Hira, too! I love the
texture of it. Little knobby things are so cool! The Pine Needle one is neat, too!

As if I needed any more $$ temptations this week! Arrgghh! Hmmm, and the Iron Trivets look
interesting...

I'm considering buying a new bicycle. I found a Specialized Crossroads model that I'm considering.

SportKite1 wrote:

>>From: John Soto
>
>
>>While I'm in NYC, any good shops in Chinatown or the like where there is a good selection of
>>Yixing or Tetsubin teapots.
>
>
> Ooooo...I would adore a Tetsubin teapot. Found a perfect one at
> http://www.potlucktea.com/Tetsubin.htm
>
> See the dragonfly? Tho the hobnail one is very nice as well. They also have some nice Yixing
> teapots. I'd never heard of those before. Hmmmm.....I need to start collecting teapots. ;)
>
> Ellen
>
>

You're suppose to use only 1 type of tea in a Yixing teapot. So there're plenty of excuses to buy
loads of teapot. My dad has got crates of them...

Ada