Chinese Take Out Garlic Sauce

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Timothy Marrone, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Hi, Im looking for an authentic recipe to the chinese takeout brown sauce I get. I just bought a
    rice cooker and looking to make this sauce as I enjoy it over rice.

    This sauce comes with such items as Sauteed Broccoli and Chicken And Broccoli. It is not necessarly
    a thick sauce but I have had it thicker or watery depending on which restaurent but it always
    tastes similar.

    I usually just ask for garlic sauce on the side and this is what I get. Anyone got any recipes?

    Thanks a lot

    Tags:

  2. Jacqui{Jb}

    Jacqui{Jb} Guest

    "Timothy Marrone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hi, Im looking for an authentic recipe to the chinese takeout brown sauce I get. I just bought a
    > rice cooker and looking to make this sauce as I enjoy it over rice.
    >
    > This sauce comes with such items as Sauteed Broccoli and Chicken And Broccoli. It is not
    > necessarly a thick sauce but I have had it thicker or watery depending on which restaurent but it
    > always tastes similar.
    >
    > I usually just ask for garlic sauce on the side and this is what I get. Anyone got any recipes?

    As you've noticed, the results vary from restaurant to restaurant. The following should point you in
    the right direction:

    Mix to taste: oyster sauce, chicken or beef stock (beef is probably going to be far too strong), soy
    sauce, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, fresh ground pepper, and perhaps a splash of rice wine and a few
    drops of sesame oil. Bring to a boil, thicken with a bit of cornstarch mixed with water and you'll
    probably be pretty close.

    -j

  3. Marlene C.

    Marlene C. Guest

    Had this one in my recipe file.. have never tried it.

    Chinese Brown Sauce

    2 T vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 t minced ginger (fresh)
    1/3 c soy sauce 2 T dark soy sauce 1c chicken stock 4 T oyster sauce 2 T cornstarch few drops
    sesame oil

    In a skillet, stir fry ginger and garlic in the oil and add soy sauces and oyster sauce. Mix
    cornstarch with chicken stock. Add to the skillet and stir until sauce is thickened. Add few drops
    of sesame oil and stir.