Chinese Wedding Cake

Biff

Guest
Does anyone have a recipe for a rice pudding that my Great Aunt Mabel called Chiinese Wedding cake.
I dreamt about last night.

Hopefully, Biff

x-no-archive: yes

Biff wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe for a rice pudding that my Great Aunt Mabel called Chiinese Wedding cake.
>I dreamt about last night.

As I understand it, Chinese Wedding Cake is just a term for rice pudding with raisins or currants in
it. Can you describe your aunt's pudding more specifically?

Naomi D.

[email protected] (Naomi Darvell) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Biff wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a recipe for a rice pudding that my Great Aunt Mabel called Chiinese Wedding
>>cake. I dreamt about last night.
>>

> As I understand it, Chinese Wedding Cake is just a term for rice pudding with raisins or currants
> in it. Can you describe your aunt's pudding more specifically?
>

> Naomi D.

I believe you're right. Sailor's slang for it, actually. Chinese rice pudding is not generally the
baked variety. You could probably use almost any stovetop-style rice pudding recipe, adding raisins
and/or currants and flavoring it with a bit of almond extract and rosewater for a close
approximation.

Traditionally and historically, I believe a Chinese wedding cake was actually a Chinese Moon Cake.

The original Chinese Moon cake was baked in a round layer (the shape of the full moon) and included
such ingredients as red beans, several types of Chinese nuts and ground lotus seeds and so on.
Thailand has its own variations of including durian, chestnut, and persimmon. Additional ingredients
may include lotus seeds, salted egg yolk and watermelon seeds.

Today, bakeries in Chinatown sell Chinese wedding cakes that are rather ordinary light yellow cake
layers filled with whipped cream and fruit cocktail.

Wayne

On 01 Feb 2004 22:06:50 GMT, [email protected] (Naomi Darvell) wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Biff wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a recipe for a rice pudding that my Great Aunt Mabel called Chiinese Wedding
>>cake. I dreamt about last night.
>>

>As I understand it, Chinese Wedding Cake is just a term for rice pudding with raisins or currants
>in it. Can you describe your aunt's pudding more specifically?
>

>Naomi D.

or describe your dream more specifically?

your pal, blake