Chipotle fajitas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Blair P. Houghton, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. Still playing with the dried peppers I got at Penzey's last week. This
    time I went for the chipotles (these smell unbelievable in the bag) and
    a rehydration experiment.

    4 oz eye round or round steak, 3/4 inch thick, sliced into 1/8-1/4 inch
    thick strips
    3/4 cup diced onion
    1 2-inch chipotle, stemmed, seeded, and rehydrated in an ounce of water
    and an ounce of red wine
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1.5 tbs EVOO
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 lime

    1 large Roma tomato, diced
    2 leaves lettuce
    2 low-fat tortillas

    put the oil in the pan and heat just below smoking

    add the onion and salt and sweat for 30 seconds over med-high heat

    add the garlic; add the chipotle and liquid (mind the burning cloud of
    fumes)

    reduce for 1 minute

    add the beef

    sautee until meat reaches desired doneness; squeeze lime over pan

    heat tortillas in microwave

    place a lettuce leaf on a tortilla, add tomatoes and fajitas and
    now-caramelized onions and peppers

    rejoice in chile-head wonder

    Actually, this wasn't as flavorful as I was expecting, but the
    spiciness was dead-solid-perfect. I think I need to add a whole
    guajillo pepper to it, so there will be more pepper mass in the end
    result, thus more pepper flavor. Guajillos are somewhat mild, so the
    chipotle will be the smoky, spicy component, and the guajillo will be
    the fruity, earthy component. I'm sure the lime perked it up a bit,
    too.

    Also, I rehydrated before I seeded, which I think helped me get the
    membrane, too. That'd be hard with a leathery pepper. But I think a
    lot of the spice is extracted into the liquid; so I kept that, and it
    was just the right move.

    --Blair

    Tags:

  2. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    > Still playing with the dried peppers I got at Penzey's last week. This
    > time I went for the chipotles (these smell unbelievable in the bag) and
    > a rehydration experiment.

    <snip>

    Use a little lemon juice in your hydration water and the flavor will
    steep out a little bit more.
    Sounds very yummy, BTW!
    -L.

  3. ensenadajim

    ensenadajim Guest

    On 29 Jan 2006 18:40:50 -0800, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    >> Still playing with the dried peppers I got at Penzey's last week. This
    >> time I went for the chipotles (these smell unbelievable in the bag) and
    >> a rehydration experiment.

    ><snip>
    >
    >Use a little lemon juice in your hydration water and the flavor will
    >steep out a little bit more.
    >Sounds very yummy, BTW!
    >-L.

    Lime would be even better.

    jim

  4. ensenadajim wrote:
    > On 29 Jan 2006 18:40:50 -0800, "-L." <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    > >> Still playing with the dried peppers I got at Penzey's last week. This
    > >> time I went for the chipotles (these smell unbelievable in the bag) and
    > >> a rehydration experiment.

    > ><snip>
    > >
    > >Use a little lemon juice in your hydration water and the flavor will
    > >steep out a little bit more.
    > >Sounds very yummy, BTW!

    > Lime would be even better.

    I'll give both a shot. The last week or so I've collected quite a few
    varieties of dried chiles -- guajillo, ancho, chipotle, pequin, tepin,
    and pasilla -- and I've been thinking of doing some experimentation
    with various liquids -- evoo, light oil, water, vinegar, wine, vodka,
    citrus, tomato, coffee -- to see how they infuse and rehydrate.

    But, 6 peppers and several liquids means dozens of combinations, which
    means quite a bit of time and attention to detail, so it might not be
    too soon, as life intrudes randomly...

    --Blair