Chipotle Lime Salt Recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Steve Wertz, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    I saw an company at the farmers market this weekend selling
    chipotle salt, $6 for about 2-3 ounces. I decided to make my own.

    1 can of Embassa Chipotles in Adobo (*)
    1 pound of semi-fine rock salt (could use kosher, too)
    1/2 cup (or more) cilantro leaves - optional, I suppose
    Juice of 5 limes

    (*) I use Embassa brand because there's more chilies and less
    tomato sauce.

    Puree everything but the salt (stick blender to the rescue). Mix
    in the salt. Spread on a cookie sheet and set in a low oven
    (130F) for 5 hours, mixing it up every hour so it dries evenly.
    Using the rock salt like I did, nothing clumped up at all. Kosher
    salt may pose more of a problem in that regard.

    You can then grind some of it fine to use as a table salt, or use
    the coarse salt as is for whatever. I haven't figured out what
    all 'whatever' is yet, but I'm sure I'll find some uses. Would
    make good gifts if you put it in fancy jars.

    Total cost - about $2.10/lb. I think I'll try some other flavors
    using the same method. I forget what other flavors they were
    selling. Any other ideas, anyone?

    -sw

    Tags:

  2. Bottle it and sell it at the farmer's market.

    --Blair
    "Factor in labor, taxes, legal fees..."

  3. "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I saw an company at the farmers market this weekend selling
    > chipotle salt, $6 for about 2-3 ounces. I decided to make my own.

    <SNIP>
    > Total cost - about $2.10/lb. I think I'll try some other flavors
    > using the same method. I forget what other flavors they were
    > selling. Any other ideas, anyone?
    >
    > -sw

    I saw a recipe on epicurious for toasted sesame salt which I really want to
    make. The name of it is pretty self-explanatory.
    other notions:

    - lemon garlic salt
    - cocoa powder, chiles, herbs (cilantro?) salt
    - lavender salt (yikes! for test purposes only)
    - jamican jerk salt (jerk spices)

  4. "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I saw an company at the farmers market this weekend selling
    > > chipotle salt, $6 for about 2-3 ounces. I decided to make my own.
    > >

    > <SNIP>
    > > Total cost - about $2.10/lb. I think I'll try some other flavors
    > > using the same method. I forget what other flavors they were
    > > selling. Any other ideas, anyone?
    > >
    > > -sw

    > I saw a recipe on epicurious for toasted sesame salt which I really want

    > make. The name of it is pretty self-explanatory.
    > other notions:
    >
    > - lemon garlic salt
    > - cocoa powder, chiles, herbs (cilantro?) salt
    > - lavender salt (yikes! for test purposes only)
    > - jamican jerk salt (jerk spices)

    The cocoa powder salt is a direct rip-off from a culinary retail site I
    visited. YMMV if you are really going to market these.