Chocolate Chip Cookie Additions

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dennis Spexet, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?

    In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    pecans.

    Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.

    To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
    I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
    good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
    "stuff" to them.

    I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
    Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Dennis Spexet wrote:
    > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
    >
    > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    > pecans.
    >
    > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    > the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    > wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
    >
    > To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
    > I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
    > good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
    > "stuff" to them.
    >
    > I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
    > Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    I use chopped Abuelita mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips and always
    add nuts, I love nuts in my cookies and brownies.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I use chopped Abuelita mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips and
    > always
    > add nuts, I love nuts in my cookies and brownies.

    The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
    chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
    chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

  4. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Dennis Spexet wrote:
    > "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> I use chopped Abuelita mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips and
    >> always
    >> add nuts, I love nuts in my cookies and brownies.

    > The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
    > chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
    > chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

    I've used both and I find the abuelita works better in cookies than the
    ibarra. I think the ibarra works better in things like mole.

    but that's just me!

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  5. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Dennis Spexet wrote:
    > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
    >
    > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    > pecans.
    >
    > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    > the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    > wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
    >
    > To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
    > I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
    > good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
    > "stuff" to them.
    >
    > I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
    > Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    >From America's Test Kitchen website:

    http://americastestkitchen.com/printrecipe.asp?recipeids=2290

    CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES w/PECANS and DRIED CHERRIES

    "We like these cookies made with pecans and dried sour cherries, but
    walnuts or skinned hazelnuts can be substituted for the pecans, and
    dried cranberries for the cherries. Quick oats used in place of the
    old-fashioned oats will yield a cookie with slightly less chewiness. If
    your baking sheets are smaller than the ones described in the recipe,
    bake the cookies in three batches instead of two. These cookies keep
    for 4 to 5 days stored in an airtight container or zipper-lock plastic
    bag, but they will lose their crisp exterior and become uniformly chewy
    after a day or so.

    Makes sixteen 4-inch cookies
    1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1 1/4 cups rolled oats , old-fashioned, (3 1/2 ounces)
    1 cup toasted pecans (4 ounces), chopped
    1 cup dried tart cherries (5 ounces), chopped coarse
    4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped into chunks about size of
    chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup)
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (10 1/2 ounces), preferably dark
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

    1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to
    350 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment
    paper.

    2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In
    second medium bowl, stir together oats, pecans, cherries, and
    chocolate.

    3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at
    medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down
    sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on
    medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape
    down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix
    until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low,
    gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough
    final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain
    and ingredients are evenly distributed.

    4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll
    between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on
    each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using hands,
    gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both baking
    sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then
    continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to
    set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will
    appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not
    overbake.

    5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide
    metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room
    temperature."

    -Rusty

  6. Rusty wrote:

    > CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES w/PECANS and DRIED CHERRIES
    >
    > "We like these cookies made with pecans and dried sour cherries, but
    > walnuts or skinned hazelnuts can be substituted for the pecans, and
    > dried cranberries for the cherries. Quick oats used in place of the
    > old-fashioned oats will yield a cookie with slightly less chewiness.

    Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
    can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
    chocolate. OTOH, I do like chopped toasted pecans in chocolate chip
    cookies. Nothing else though.

    Sandy

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
    >
    > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    > pecans.
    >
    > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    > the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    > wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
    >
    > To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
    > I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
    > good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
    > "stuff" to them.
    >
    > I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
    > Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    You're a pervert, Dennis. And from the Twin Cities, too! I'm telling
    the authorities.
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
    > chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
    > chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

    Where do you get this Abuelita stuff?
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.

  9. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
    > >
    > > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    > > pecans.
    > >
    > > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    > > the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    > > wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
    > >
    > > To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
    > > I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookiesare
    > > good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
    > > "stuff" to them.
    > >
    > > I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
    > > Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    > You're a pervert, Dennis. And from the Twin Cities, too! I'm telling
    > the authorities.
    > --
    > -Barb

    That's not sick. This is sick.

    ;-P

    http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Garlic chip cookies

    GARLIC CHIP COOKIES

    Categories: Cake/cookie Herbs/spice
    Yield: 6 servings
    10 Cloves fresh garlic
    Boiling water
    ½ c Maple syrup
    1 c Butter, softened
    ¾ c Brown sugar
    2 Eggs
    1 ts Vanilla
    ½ ts Salt
    2 ¼ c Chocolate chips
    ½ c Chopped nuts
    2 ½ c Flour
    1 ts Baking soda

    Drop garlic cloves into boiling water for about 5 minutes until tender.
    Peel and chop garlic and soak in maple syrup for 20 minutes. Meanwhile,
    cream butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
    Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to cream mixture. Then stir in
    chocolate chips and nuts. Drain garlic and add to cookie batter. Blend
    well. Drop cookie batter by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet
    about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, until
    lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on racks.

    ;-)

    -Rusty

  10. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Rusty wrote:
    > >
    > > CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES w/PECANS and DRIED CHERRIES
    > >

    > Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
    > can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
    > chocolate.
    >
    > Sandy

    Hey, pick them out, like people do with mushrooms in pizza.

    ;-)

    I'll have to try the recipe without chocolate.

    Rusty

  11. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
    >> chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
    >> chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

    > Where do you get this Abuelita stuff?

    Ibarra is easier to come by in the suburbs, luckily there's a big latino
    population up in my neighborhood so I get it at the grocery up the street. I
    can bring you some the next time we have breakfast, too.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  12. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Dennis Spexet wrote:

    > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?

    Nope. I don't even add nuts to them. For years I suffered digestive problems
    after eating chocolate chip cookies and eventually discovered that it was the
    nuts that were the problem.

    > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    > pecans.

    The best scone recipe I have tried used buttermilk, lemon rind and dried
    cherries. I can't find the recipe anywhere now.

    > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    > the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    > wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.

    My mother has a recipe for a cookie that used pecans, and various dried
    fruits.... Hermits???

  13. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Rusty"
    ==========
    <snip>

    Dude! I'm saving this one! My family will devour these in no time!!!
    Thank you very much for sharing!!
    --
    Syssi
    ----------

[...]

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The best scone recipe I have tried used buttermilk, lemon rind and dried
    > cherries. I can't find the recipe anywhere now.

    My recipe uses those! Though, more frequently I use dried
    cranberries. I posted it on my blog last fall. Let me get it to post
    here.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
    > can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
    > chocolate. OTOH, I do like chopped toasted pecans in chocolate chip
    > cookies. Nothing else though.

    Oh, I love oatmeal cookies with chocolate. And dried cherries and
    toffee bits and whatever else we have around.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  16. On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:45:58 -0500, "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
    >
    >In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
    >pecans.
    >
    >Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
    >the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
    >wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
    >
    >To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
    >I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
    >good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
    >"stuff" to them.
    >
    >I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
    >Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    Pecans, raisins (or golden raisins) and cinnamon chips make the BEST
    oatmeal cookies you ever tasted... they sell the cinnamon chips at
    christmas time, so I buy a bunch of bags to use later in the year.
    Yummy!

  17. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
    >
    > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and pecans.
    >
    > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use the Toll
    > House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip wrapper, and add a
    > cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
    >
    > To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that I
    > really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are good too.
    > But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding "stuff" to them.
    >
    > I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts? Fruits?
    > M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

    I don't know that I have ever made a batch of chocolate chip cookies since I was
    about 12, that I didn't add to. Sometimes it's oatmeal, sometimes coconut....almonds,
    or pecan, dried cherries, craisins, chocolate covered raisins. Plain ole chocolate
    chip is okay, and if offered one I'd eat it as long as it wasn't the cakey kind...but
    I much prefer to keep it interesting by adding other stuff.

    kimberly

  18. Rusty wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Rusty wrote:
    > > >

    > > Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
    > > can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
    > > chocolate.
    > >
    > > Sandy

    > Hey, pick them out, like people do with mushrooms in pizza.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > I'll have to try the recipe without chocolate.
    >
    > Rusty

    Pick out the mushrooms from pizza? Are you nuts?? Pick out the olives
    of course (gack!), but never mushrooms!

    It just comes down to the fact that I'm a fruit girl instead of a
    chocolate girl...my favorite desserts are things like warm blueberry
    pie or apple crisp with a scoop of great vanilla ice cream instead of
    those "Oh to die for chocolate cakes" everyone raves about. whatever.
    to each his own. And keep yer chocolate out of my oatmeal cookies,but
    leave in the sultanas, dried cherries, cranberries and nuts, thanks.

    Sandy

  19. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

    > Pecans, raisins (or golden raisins) and cinnamon chips make the BEST
    > oatmeal cookies you ever tasted... they sell the cinnamon chips at
    > christmas time, so I buy a bunch of bags to use later in the year.
    > Yummy!

    I used those a couple of times, but they don't sell them around here
    any more. I actually bought a few bags at Big Lots, so I was thinking
    they were perhaps closing them out. Did you get some this past (2005)
    Christmas? It's good news to know they're not gone altogether!