Chocolate Chip Cookie Additions

Dennis Spexet

Guest
Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?

In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
pecans.

Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.

To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
"stuff" to them.

I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

Dennis Spexet wrote:
> Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
>
> In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
> pecans.
>
> Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
> the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
> wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
>
> To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
> I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
> good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
> "stuff" to them.
>
> I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
> Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

I use chopped Abuelita mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips and always
add nuts, I love nuts in my cookies and brownies.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

"The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I use chopped Abuelita mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips and
> always
> add nuts, I love nuts in my cookies and brownies.

The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

Dennis Spexet wrote:
> "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> I use chopped Abuelita mexican chocolate instead of chocolate chips and
>> always
>> add nuts, I love nuts in my cookies and brownies.

> The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
> chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
> chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

I've used both and I find the abuelita works better in cookies than the
ibarra. I think the ibarra works better in things like mole.

but that's just me!

--

Dennis Spexet wrote:
> Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
>
> In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
> pecans.
>
> Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
> the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
> wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
>
> To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
> I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
> good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
> "stuff" to them.
>
> I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
> Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

>From America's Test Kitchen website:

http://americastestkitchen.com/printrecipe.asp?recipeids=2290

CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES w/PECANS and DRIED CHERRIES

"We like these cookies made with pecans and dried sour cherries, but
walnuts or skinned hazelnuts can be substituted for the pecans, and
dried cranberries for the cherries. Quick oats used in place of the
old-fashioned oats will yield a cookie with slightly less chewiness. If
your baking sheets are smaller than the ones described in the recipe,
bake the cookies in three batches instead of two. These cookies keep
for 4 to 5 days stored in an airtight container or zipper-lock plastic
bag, but they will lose their crisp exterior and become uniformly chewy
after a day or so.

Makes sixteen 4-inch cookies
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 1/4 cups rolled oats , old-fashioned, (3 1/2 ounces)
1 cup toasted pecans (4 ounces), chopped
1 cup dried **** cherries (5 ounces), chopped coarse
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped into chunks about size of
chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup)
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (10 1/2 ounces), preferably dark
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to
350 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment
paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In
second medium bowl, stir together oats, pecans, cherries, and
chocolate.

3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at
medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down
sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on
medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape
down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix
until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low,
gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough
final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain
and ingredients are evenly distributed.

4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll
between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on
each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using hands,
gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both baking
sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then
continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to
set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will
appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not
overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide
metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room
temperature."

-Rusty

Rusty wrote:

> CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES w/PECANS and DRIED CHERRIES
>
> "We like these cookies made with pecans and dried sour cherries, but
> walnuts or skinned hazelnuts can be substituted for the pecans, and
> dried cranberries for the cherries. Quick oats used in place of the
> old-fashioned oats will yield a cookie with slightly less chewiness.

Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
chocolate. OTOH, I do like chopped toasted pecans in chocolate chip
cookies. Nothing else though.

Sandy

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
>
> In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
> pecans.
>
> Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
> the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
> wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
>
> To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
> I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
> good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
> "stuff" to them.
>
> I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
> Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

You're a pervert, Dennis. And from the Twin Cities, too! I'm telling
the authorities.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.

"Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
> chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
> chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

Where do you get this Abuelita stuff?
--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
> >
> > In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
> > pecans.
> >
> > Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
> > the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
> > wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
> >
> > To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
> > I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookiesare
> > good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
> > "stuff" to them.
> >
> > I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
> > Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

> You're a pervert, Dennis. And from the Twin Cities, too! I'm telling
> the authorities.
> --
> -Barb

That's not sick. This is sick.

;-P

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Garlic chip cookies

GARLIC CHIP COOKIES

Categories: Cake/cookie Herbs/spice
Yield: 6 servings
10 Cloves fresh garlic
Boiling water
½ c Maple syrup
1 c Butter, softened
¾ c Brown sugar
2 Eggs
1 ts Vanilla
½ ts Salt
2 ¼ c Chocolate chips
½ c Chopped nuts
2 ½ c Flour
1 ts Baking soda

Drop garlic cloves into boiling water for about 5 minutes until tender.
Peel and chop garlic and soak in maple syrup for 20 minutes. Meanwhile,
cream butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to cream mixture. Then stir in
chocolate chips and nuts. Drain garlic and add to cookie batter. Blend
well. Drop cookie batter by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet
about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, until
lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on racks.

;-)

-Rusty

[email protected] wrote:
> Rusty wrote:
> >
> > CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES w/PECANS and DRIED CHERRIES
> >

> Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
> can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
> chocolate.
>
> Sandy

Hey, pick them out, like people do with mushrooms in pizza.

;-)

I'll have to try the recipe without chocolate.

Rusty

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> The chopped Abuelita sounds really good. I've got both Abuelita and Ibarra
>> chocolate in my cupboard. I'll try using it the next time I make chocolate
>> chip cookies. They'd add a really interesting flavor to the cookies I bet.

> Where do you get this Abuelita stuff?

Ibarra is easier to come by in the suburbs, luckily there's a big latino
population up in my neighborhood so I get it at the grocery up the street. I
can bring you some the next time we have breakfast, too.

--

Dennis Spexet wrote:

> Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?

Nope. I don't even add nuts to them. For years I suffered digestive problems
after eating chocolate chip cookies and eventually discovered that it was the
nuts that were the problem.

> In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
> pecans.

The best scone recipe I have tried used buttermilk, lemon rind and dried
cherries. I can't find the recipe anywhere now.

> Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
> the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
> wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.

My mother has a recipe for a cookie that used pecans, and various dried
fruits.... Hermits???

"Rusty"
==========
<snip>

Dude! I'm saving this one! My family will devour these in no time!!!
Thank you very much for sharing!!
--
Syssi
----------

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> The best scone recipe I have tried used buttermilk, lemon rind and dried
> cherries. I can't find the recipe anywhere now.

My recipe uses those! Though, more frequently I use dried
cranberries. I posted it on my blog last fall. Let me get it to post
here.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

> Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
> can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
> chocolate. OTOH, I do like chopped toasted pecans in chocolate chip
> cookies. Nothing else though.

Oh, I love oatmeal cookies with chocolate. And dried cherries and
toffee bits and whatever else we have around.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:45:58 -0500, "Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
>
>In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and
>pecans.
>
>Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use
>the Toll House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip
>wrapper, and add a cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
>
>To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that
>I really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are
>good too. But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding
>"stuff" to them.
>
>I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts?
>Fruits? M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

Pecans, raisins (or golden raisins) and cinnamon chips make the BEST
oatmeal cookies you ever tasted... they sell the cinnamon chips at
christmas time, so I buy a bunch of bags to use later in the year.
Yummy!

"Dennis Spexet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do you like to add "stuff" to your chocolate chip cookies?
>
> In another post, I remarked that I love scones with dried cherries and pecans.
>
> Well, the same additions work great in chocolate chip cookies! I just use the Toll
> House cookie recipe off the back of the Nestle chocolate chip wrapper, and add a
> cup each of pecans and dried cherries to the mix.
>
> To my taste, the pecans and cherries add variety in flavor and texture that I
> really like. Don't get me wrong -- plain ole' chocolate chip cookies are good too.
> But I find that every time I make these cookies, I end up adding "stuff" to them.
>
> I was wondering what others add to their chocolate chip cookies. Nuts? Fruits?
> M&Ms? Gummy Bears?

I don't know that I have ever made a batch of chocolate chip cookies since I was
about 12, that I didn't add to. Sometimes it's oatmeal, sometimes coconut....almonds,
or pecan, dried cherries, craisins, chocolate covered raisins. Plain ole chocolate
chip is okay, and if offered one I'd eat it as long as it wasn't the cakey kind...but
I much prefer to keep it interesting by adding other stuff.

kimberly

Rusty wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Rusty wrote:
> > >

> > Leave out the chocolate and you've got the perfect oatmeal cookie. I
> > can't stand it when people mess up perfectly good oatmeal cookies with
> > chocolate.
> >
> > Sandy

> Hey, pick them out, like people do with mushrooms in pizza.
>
> ;-)
>
> I'll have to try the recipe without chocolate.
>
> Rusty

Pick out the mushrooms from pizza? Are you nuts?? Pick out the olives
of course (gack!), but never mushrooms!

It just comes down to the fact that I'm a fruit girl instead of a
chocolate girl...my favorite desserts are things like warm blueberry
pie or apple crisp with a scoop of great vanilla ice cream instead of
those "Oh to die for chocolate cakes" everyone raves about. whatever.
to each his own. And keep yer chocolate out of my oatmeal cookies,but
leave in the sultanas, dried cherries, cranberries and nuts, thanks.

Sandy

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> Pecans, raisins (or golden raisins) and cinnamon chips make the BEST
> oatmeal cookies you ever tasted... they sell the cinnamon chips at
> christmas time, so I buy a bunch of bags to use later in the year.
> Yummy!

I used those a couple of times, but they don't sell them around here
any more. I actually bought a few bags at Big Lots, so I was thinking
they were perhaps closing them out. Did you get some this past (2005)
Christmas? It's good news to know they're not gone altogether!