Chocolate Coating for Graham Crackers

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened enough
    to eat without coating our hands. It was thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but seldom,
    seen these in "Borders" at the coffee counter.

    I would like to make something similar, but don't want to put a packaged frothy frosting or a
    "boiled to a certain degree candy-like" fudge on top.

    Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the same and have a suggestion?

    Thanks, Dee

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Dee Randall" writes:
    >
    >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened
    >enough to eat without coating our hands. It was thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but
    >seldom, seen these in "Borders" at the coffee counter.
    >
    >I would like to make something similar, but don't want to put a packaged frothy frosting or a
    >"boiled to a certain degree candy-like" fudge on top.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the same and have a suggestion?

    Try with a schmear of PB.

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,chocolate+covered+graham+cracker,FF.html

    CHOCOLATE COVERED GRAHAM CRACKERS from COOKS.COM

    Graham crackers1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips1 c. milk chocolate chipsParaffin Melt semi-sweet and
    milk chocolate chips over hot but not boiling water. Add a little paraffin to thin slightly. Dip
    graham crackers in mixture, completely coating (don't let them get soggy). Remove and place on wax
    paper. Let cool until coating sets.
    ---

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the same and have a suggestion?

    How about checking out a candy/cake supply store. They sell 'chocolate' discs, I forget what they
    are called. The word Coating comes to mind, but I'm super not sure. I checked out Wilton, they call
    them Candy Melts. I took a little candy making class once, we made things like peanut butter cups,
    etc with them, they tasted great.

    nancy

  4. Alex Rast

    Alex Rast Guest

    at Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:49:09 GMT in <[email protected]>,
    deedoveyatshenteldotnet (Dee Randall) wrote :

    >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened
    >enough to eat without coating our hands. It was thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but
    >seldom, seen these in "Borders" at the coffee counter.

    What you are describing is what is known as "compound coating" - chocolate that's been combined with
    a certain amount of another vegetable fat, generally palm kernel. Using palm kernel oil instead of
    cocoa butter raises the melting point, so it doesn't melt in your hands so readily, and also softens
    the consistency so it isn't as hard as pure chocolate. You can find it in some supermarkets with
    bulk bins, usually as discs. Guittard is one of the larger manufacturers of compound coating. They
    also make good "regular" chocolate for coating graham crackers, which goes by the name of
    "couverture". Couverture, unlike compound coating, uses only cocoa butter, and has a large amount of
    it. It does melt in your hands, and it hardens to a fully hard, brittle shell. In addition, it's
    more fussy to work with because you have to "temper" it. Its advantage is that it tastes
    significantly better than compound coating. Couverture is usually easier to find for the home chef -
    virtually all quality eating chocolate is couverture, as are the broken-up chunks of chocolate you
    see in other bulk bins in other supermarkets.

    One easy place to get compound coating online is http://www.bakerscandc.com. It may be easier going
    that way than asking your supermarket clerk, who as likely as not is going to be clueless.

    --
    Alex Rast [email protected] (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

  5. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >"Dee Randall" writes:
    > >
    > >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened
    > >enough to eat without coating our hands. It was thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but
    > >seldom, seen these in "Borders" at the coffee counter.
    > >
    > >I would like to make something similar, but don't want to put a packaged frothy frosting or a
    > >"boiled to a certain degree candy-like" fudge on
    top.

    > >Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the
    same
    > >and have a suggestion?
    >
    > Try with a schmear of PB.

    And an ice cold glass of extra rich milk.

    Dimitri

  6. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:49:09 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

    >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened
    >enough to eat without coating our hands.

    Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available commercially? I'm pretty sure I
    remember them, and my mother didn't dabble in chocolate.

  7. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:45:58 GMT, Frogleg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:49:09 -0500, "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
    >
    > >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened
    > >enough to eat without coating our hands.
    >
    > Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available commercially? I'm pretty sure
    > I remember them, and my mother didn't dabble in chocolate.

    Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt they still exsited.

  8. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:45:58 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:49:09 -0500, "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
    >>
    >> >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with chocolate which hardened
    >> >enough to eat without coating our hands.
    >>
    >> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available commercially? I'm pretty
    >> sure I remember them, and my mother didn't dabble in chocolate.
    >
    >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt they still exsited.

    I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a chocolate-FLAVORED version, which
    wouldn't be the same at all.

    Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and that the passing of time
    baffles others. :)

  9. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 2/6/2004 6:00 AM, Frogleg wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available commercially? I'm pretty
    >>> sure I remember them, and my mother didn't dabble in chocolate.
    >>
    >>Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt they still exsited.
    >

    > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a chocolate-FLAVORED version,
    > which wouldn't be the same at all.
    >
    > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and that the passing of time
    > baffles others. :)

    Most coffee shops have them. Why don't you ask where they get their chocolate covered
    graham crakers?

    --
    jmk in NC

  10. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available commercially? I'm pretty
    > >> sure I remember them, and my mother didn't dabble in chocolate.
    > >
    > >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt they still exsited.
    >
    > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a chocolate-FLAVORED version,
    > which wouldn't be the same at all.
    >
    > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and that the passing of time
    > baffles others. :)

    Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they were a real treat!

  11. I can buy chocolate covered graham crackers at the local walmart...they don;t have them all the
    time, but they do show pretty regular in the cookie section...LG

    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt they still exsited.
    > >
    > > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a chocolate-FLAVORED version,
    > > which wouldn't be the same at all.
    > >
    > > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and that the passing of time
    > > baffles others. :)
    >
    > Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they were a real treat!
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  12. Sf

    Sf Guest

    Aha... look in the cookie section, not the crackers!

    ````````````

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:13:31 GMT, "Lawrence Gilburtson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I can buy chocolate covered graham crackers at the local walmart...they don;t have them all the
    > time, but they do show pretty regular in the cookie section...LG
    >

    > > Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they were a real treat!

  13. Nancyjaye

    Nancyjaye Guest

    Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??

    NancyJaye

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt they still exsited.
    > >
    > > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a chocolate-FLAVORED version,
    > > which wouldn't be the same at all.
    > >
    > > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and that the passing of time
    > > baffles others. :)
    >
    > Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they were a real treat!
    >

    > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  14. "NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??
    >
    > NancyJaye

    They do indeed, and I bet they lick their fingers, too! <G>

    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > with

    >> > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a chocolate-FLAVORED version,
    >> > which wouldn't be the same at all.
    >> >
    >> > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and that the passing of time
    >> > baffles others. :)
    >>
    >> Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they were a real treat!
    >>

    >> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  15. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:02:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"NancyJaye" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??
    >>
    >> NancyJaye
    >
    >They do indeed, and I bet they lick their fingers, too! <G>

    not only that, but i think they're undocumented aliens.

    your pal, zontar