Chocolate Milk as a recov drink

cassette player

Mar 19, 2006
I've seen a couple articles recently on the benefits of using chocolate milk as a recovery drink. An article in Velonews said that studies have proven its better than endurox. I've been drinking it after rides for the past couple weeks and haven;t seen any noticiable effects. Has anyone else tried chocolate milk and noticed greater recovery benefits than endroux, etc.

gclark8 said:
Good one Clarky!:p !

As for the Chocolate milk thing, it has something to do with the makeup of the drink itself. If you break it down your looking at Carb, Protein, Suger etc,etc at about the same rates as these "Recovery Drinks" and they are just trying to replicate what you can get from drinking a Chocolate Milk.

The only real way to do this is to do Choclate milk for 3-6 months then one of the "Recovery Drinks" for the same time and keep a very detaild diary as to the differences and see what you come up with.

Possibly recommended due to its availability at the corner store / servos / supermarkets etc. As posted by sv650s does seem to have most that is req.[ low fat style of cause]

cassette player said:
I've seen a couple articles recently on the benefits of using chocolate milk as a recovery drink. An article in Velonews said that studies have proven its better than endurox. I've been drinking it after rides for the past couple weeks and haven;t seen any noticiable effects. Has anyone else tried chocolate milk and noticed greater recovery benefits than endroux, etc.
I have read a lot about chocolate milk as a recovery drink too. I am going to give it a try. It tastes A LOT better than the Hammer Recoverite I use now and it is much cheaper.

Here is a link to an article about the chocolate milk study.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:_M4gbM0FCaoJ:www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370+&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

turk6681 said:
I have read a lot about chocolate milk as a recovery drink too. I am going to give it a try. It tastes A LOT better than the Hammer Recoverite I use now and it is much cheaper.

Here is a link to an article about the chocolate milk study.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:_M4gbM0FCaoJ:www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370+&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a
it definitely tastes better and you could probably save a couple hundred dollars a year!! i also have heard that grape juice is great for you after a ride too, high on the Glycemic index.

netscriber said:
How about chocolate milk with Bourbon? :D You could recover from anything :p
OK, that sounds pretty nasty (and I'll drink about anything). I am curious what they used in these studies: Nes Quik, Ovaltine, or just Hersey's. Also, I'm guessing that it might go down more smoothly than Endurox, after hard efforts I'd be afraid of it coming up again! :eek:

DCWD said:
OK, that sounds pretty nasty (and I'll drink about anything). I am curious what they used in these studies: Nes Quik, Ovaltine, or just Hersey's. Also, I'm guessing that it might go down more smoothly than Endurox, after hard efforts I'd be afraid of it coming up again! :eek:
In the Velonews article it sounded like all kinds, they even suggested milkshakes!, sounds good for me

I do agree that chocolate milk or chocolate soy milk is a good recovery drink because it contains a lot of essential vitamins and minerals that can help the body heal and recover.

I think it's a great drink and I particularly like it every breakfast, and it really makes me feel energized and refreshed for the day.

I don’t really remember drinking chocolate milk when I was riding or doing a workout. But my husband would be drinking milk in the morning when his daily exercise is quite heavy. He says that chocolate milk gives him energy. He couldn’t drink milk only because of his acidic stomach that would be acting up. With the chocolate milk, I guess it is the sugar in the chocolate that gives him the energy.

I can’t say that I’m familiar with the science behind it, but I don’t really see how chocolate milk would be any better for you than say an average protein shake. I suppose that the reasoning for this might be that the sugar in chocolate milk provides a quick energy boost while the protein provides long-term muscle recovery, but as I had mentioned, I don’t see why chocolate milk would be the drink of choice here. Plenty of other alternatives such as protein powders and other supplements are going to provide you with greater recovery effects.

I like Ovaltine with Skim milk, goes down and stays down.
Ohhh Ovaltine, we have it here like Ovomaltine. That brings me flashbacks when I was a kid, and used to have it for breakfast, delicious. We have another one that's really good and has a lot of vitamins added, it's called Toddy, and it really is a power house. A good shot of Toddy shake, and you will be brand new.

Hey, I totally get the nostalgia! Ovaltine/Ovomaltine brings back memories for me too. Have you tried any other tasty breakfast options?