Chocolate Milk Question

daveryanwyoming said:
Here's a link to the study: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370
but it doesn't really give you the answer you're looking for. It pretty much just says it works and has a good carb to protein ratio but doesn't define that ratio or try to explain why it works. I ran the OPs question by my wife who runs a nutrition counseling practice and holds an MSRD. Her answer was a lot like those above, get a lot of carbs, along with some protein during the critical half hour and again a couple of hours later. According to her the carb to protein ratio is debated and although a lot of folks advocate 4:1, there isn't a lot of good science backing up that particular number. But I do have to question the folks talking about protein powder and lean chicken. Whatever the ideal carb to protein ratio, it's clear that the carbs are the important part to replace depleted glycogen. Protein powder or meat won't do much for restoring the glycogen you've spent during a hard workout. Put that protein powder in a fruit smoothie maybe.....

-Dave

Yea, the idea of the protein is to get the carbs to absorb into the muscles. No need for protein powder.

Rcinator- Sorry I didn't respond earlier I was busy studying the 1001 reason why I shouldn't drink Chocolate Milk, any way you've converted me, I've sold my bike and with the proceeds bought a bag of hemp seeds that I shall plant tomorrow, one question though, what would you recommend as fertiliser?

zaskar said:
Yea, the idea of the protein is to get the carbs to absorb into the muscles. No need for protein powder.
Does protein NOT promote absorption of carbs if it's in powder form? No, you probably don't need it but I find it convenient sometimes. Plus there are times when I don't want to have solid food after a ride.

Part of the idea of the carbs is to trigger an insulin response which will shut off the cortisol and stop you from going catabolic. However, on days when you come in stinking of ammonia, you rarely want to have some lean beef and sphagetti. Protein powder just gives you a small glass of flavored liquid to drink along with your carb beverage.

Putting on my critical thinking hat for a moment ...... The original article was published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Excercise Metabolism. Two things to bear in mind, the study was VERY small - only 9 subjects; and it was sponsored by the Dairy and Nutrition Council. The small sample means you really can't say with certainty that chocolate milk is a good recovery aid and the fact that it was supported by the Dairy and Nutrition Council raises questions of conflict of interest.

But what the heck, the stuff tastes good and it's readily available (and I happen to like chocolate milk :p) so I think I'll just keep drinking it. :)

garage sale GT said:
Does protein NOT promote absorption of carbs if it's in powder form? No, you probably don't need it but I find it convenient sometimes. Plus there are times when I don't want to have solid food after a ride.

Part of the idea of the carbs is to trigger an insulin response which will shut off the cortisol and stop you from going catabolic. However, on days when you come in stinking of ammonia, you rarely want to have some lean beef and sphagetti. Protein powder just gives you a small glass of flavored liquid to drink along with your carb beverage.

Protien is WAY over consumed is all im saying. Consuming the powder drinks is just adding the over kill.

Let me get out the old sports nutrition book.....If you are wanting to make sure your glycogen stores are repleted, it recommends consuming 2 grams of carbohydrate per Kg of bodyweight within 2 hours of completing the exercise. After this, your glycogen uptake is much slower. Hope this helps. Greg

gt3413 said:
Let me get out the old sports nutrition book.....If you are wanting to make sure your glycogen stores are repleted, it recommends consuming 2 grams of carbohydrate per Kg of bodyweight within 2 hours of completing the exercise. After this, your glycogen uptake is much slower. Hope this helps. Greg
I have to get my nutrition strategy just right. Everyone always said I was a little slow on the uptake. :D

zaskar said:
Protien is WAY over consumed is all im saying. Consuming the powder drinks is just adding the over kill.
Too much protein is way better than not enough in my book.:p (Within reason of course)

no problem with protein.. we need to eat our protein, but there is nothing that i have seen that says it's advantageous to take lot of it right after a ride... in fact i've seen the opposite that too much protein right after a ride can interfer with absorbtion of carbs (not sure if it's just that if you're eating protein you just have less space for carbs?) but you can eat your protein after two hours when there is no real advantage for eating carbs at that time... the nutrisionist that talked to are club said that you body doesn't start doing repairs and addaptation to muscle for two days after so the is absolutely no rush to scarf protein down your throat RIGHT after a ride but there is for scarfing carbs though... so leave your protein shake for later and get your carbs right away...

GABAjunkie said:
Too much protein is way better than not enough in my book.:p (Within reason of course)

True, but the requirements are so easily met. I have a harder time consuming quality carbohydrates and fats, protein is a gimme. Extra protein = extra calorie's.A few years ago when I consulted a sports nutritionist, first thing he said was I was consuming to much protein. All I need is 90 grams a day, very easy to meet. Most people require under 100 grams per day. Of course a body builder would need more, and cyclist dont need much more the a couch potato.

Ratiocinator said:
The only thing I am smoking is the truth. Your cocoon of delusion, your hole in the dirt for your head, surely is a comfortable domicile. Yeah, right up until reality comes up from behind and boots you in the ass.

You hate the truth so much you are too quick in looking for a category and a pigeonhole to encage me in just to satisfy your eagerness to avoid information that you are uncomfortable with.

If you are so eager to fight me, then why not take apart the information and facts I have posted here? Why attack me, the messenger, instead of revealing errors in what I have written?

You are pathetic. What I have posted is valuable information that is lost on you, and some of the others here, because you are destined to live as idiots and sheep.
As a general rule, you catch more ants with honey than with vinegar, mate.

In comparison, all I've seen you do since someone dared disagree with your posts is drip acid and vitriol. So I can only conclude that you are less interested in genuinely recruiting people to your cause than you are in making yourself feel smug and superior by making other people wrong. Either that or you're utterly clueless about the psychology of persuasion. Or both.

Well, I hope it works for you, because all I see is a man (or woman) who is likely borderline mentally ill, suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, very poor self-esteem and "little person" syndrome.

You need to start taking your medication again.

Chocolate milk is regarded as a recovery drink? This is new to me. I mean, I know that many body builders guzzle gallons of the stuff (regular, low fat milk in particular though). It has a lot of protein relative to the amount of carbohydrates so I can see how it could help in that regard. But why chocolate? The chocolate/sugar are only going to add carbs that you don't want, especially if you're cycling because you want to lose weight.

For those who are lactose intolerant, I'd honestly just try to get the same amount of protein from some other food source that is just as good, if not better, than milk. Whey protein isolate is good, as it has less than 1% lactose in it. You can add it to a fruit smoothie, and that would be even healthier for you as not only do you get more protein than you would out of milk, but you get vitamins and minerals as well.

While I usually just drink non-fat milk every morning after breakfast, I occasionally add some chocolate to it, usually Milo just for the added vitamins which I may not obtain from my regular diet.

You can try using almond milk which is widely available in supermarkets, it has no cholesterol, and it only contains healthy monounsaturated fats, it has a low caloric content, a high dose of Riboflavin or B2 vitamin and its also helps in preventing prostate cancer.

Using almond milk as your base and adding your favorite fortified chocolate powder in it would give you a delicious and healthy drink that can satisfy all your concerns on lactose intolerance, calories and protein.

I do think so, I've been drinking a soybased chocolate milk drink for years and to me its healthier and more delicious than real cows milk.

I think the "chocolate milk as recovery drink" recommendation is based solely on its carb/protein content. Have that same amount of carbs and protein from any other source and you will be doing as well as with the chocolate milk.

You made a valid point as since he is not comfortable with taking the chocolate, going for any other option that can give the same result out there is definitely the best. I would not advise people to eat things that the body doesn't want as we have better alternatives out there.