Chocolate roses

Michael

Guest
I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question
about problems I had with a recipe I used for white
modelling chocolate. Here's a link to a picture of my
first attempts to make roses from modelling chocolate:

http://www.zspider.com/3d/chocolate_rose.jpg

http://www.zspider.com/3d/close_up.jpg

As noted in my post on the subject, the recipe I used
produced too soft of a medium, and it had a negative
impact on how thin I could get the petals. The white
things in the background are white chocolate leaves I
made by dribbling white chocolate on the backside of
some real leaves. The roses are a combination of
white chocolate, corn syrup, and red food paste. In
taste, they were far superior to the marzipan I used
to decorate a snowman cake.

Although it's off-topic, I've also included a picture
of my daughter and I down in the Red River Gorge in
Kentucky while taking a break during a climbing trip
last summer.

http://www.zspider.com/3d/dadandamber.jpg

Michael

Michael wrote:
> I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question
> about problems I had with a recipe I used for white
> modelling chocolate. Here's a link to a picture of my
> first attempts to make roses from modelling chocolate:
>
> http://www.zspider.com/3d/chocolate_rose.jpg
>
> http://www.zspider.com/3d/close_up.jpg
>
> As noted in my post on the subject, the recipe I used
> produced too soft of a medium, and it had a negative
> impact on how thin I could get the petals. The white
> things in the background are white chocolate leaves I
> made by dribbling white chocolate on the backside of
> some real leaves. The roses are a combination of
> white chocolate, corn syrup, and red food paste. In
> taste, they were far superior to the marzipan I used
> to decorate a snowman cake.
>
> Although it's off-topic, I've also included a picture
> of my daughter and I down in the Red River Gorge in
> Kentucky while taking a break during a climbing trip
> last summer.
>
> http://www.zspider.com/3d/dadandamber.jpg
>
> Michael

Nice flowers, pretty daughter. Thank you for sharing these goodies
with us. Nothing wrong with you, either.

There is nothing Off-topic about your daughter, she eats food, doesn't
she? :eek:)

Cute.......so is your daughter and the roses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Michael wrote:
>> I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question
>> about problems I had with a recipe I used for white
>> modelling chocolate. Here's a link to a picture of my
>> first attempts to make roses from modelling chocolate:
>>
>> http://www.zspider.com/3d/chocolate_rose.jpg
>>
>> http://www.zspider.com/3d/close_up.jpg
>>
>> As noted in my post on the subject, the recipe I used
>> produced too soft of a medium, and it had a negative
>> impact on how thin I could get the petals. The white
>> things in the background are white chocolate leaves I
>> made by dribbling white chocolate on the backside of
>> some real leaves. The roses are a combination of
>> white chocolate, corn syrup, and red food paste. In
>> taste, they were far superior to the marzipan I used
>> to decorate a snowman cake.
>>
>> Although it's off-topic, I've also included a picture
>> of my daughter and I down in the Red River Gorge in
>> Kentucky while taking a break during a climbing trip
>> last summer.
>>
>> http://www.zspider.com/3d/dadandamber.jpg
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Nice flowers, pretty daughter. Thank you for sharing these goodies with
> us. Nothing wrong with you, either.
>
> There is nothing Off-topic about your daughter, she eats food, doesn't
> she? :eek:)

Thanks for all the kind comments! The roses were less than perfect
but it was my first time so I didn't mind. I never dreamed there were
so many media for decorating a cake! I've sampled marzipan and
modelling chocolate. Now I'm looking at rolled fondant and flower-
paste. I stopped by a cake shop in town today and picked up some
just-add-water flowerpaste (making it from scratch requires really
weird ingredients like tragacanth and glucose). The lady at the cake
store is kind of disappointing. I don't know if she is the owner or
not, but she only knows buttercream, and nothing about any of the
other things.

Michael

Thanks for all the kind comments! The roses were less than perfect
but it was my first time so I didn't mind. I never dreamed there were
so many media for decorating a cake! I've sampled marzipan and
modelling chocolate. Now I'm looking at rolled fondant and flower-
paste. I stopped by a cake shop in town today and picked up some
just-add-water flowerpaste (making it from scratch requires really
weird ingredients like tragacanth and glucose). The lady at the cake
store is kind of disappointing. I don't know if she is the owner or
not, but she only knows buttercream, and nothing about any of the
other things.

Michael

Michael
the chocolate flowers are beautiful! What was the recipe for them?
Susan

Susan wrote:

the chocolate flowers are beautiful! What was the recipe for them?

****************
The recipe I worked with asked for a ratio of 10 oz (by weight) of
white chocolate to 4 oz (liquid) corn syrup. I was experimenting so
I cut it down to a fourth. It amounted to way too much corn syrup,
and was oily and soft. I kneaded it and got my hands greasy and
wiped them off and continued till it wasn't too oily, but it stayed
soft,
and the rose petals suffered for it by disintegrating if I worked them
as thin as I wanted them to be. I have not tried any of the recipes
yet that the people here recommended to fix it, but I'm thinking 10
oz white chocolate to 1 or 2 oz corn syrup. I used a red food paste
to color it. A little bit does the trick. No way you could use just
plain food coloring, I think. Way too watery.

Put it in the fridge for an hour, then roll it out between two sheets
of wax paper. Roll up a little strip for the bud in the center, and
then cut petals and mash them to the base.

There are other ways to do roses, too. You can make them out
of plain old cake icing by squirting them out of a decorating bag
with an appropriate tip.

Michael

You're off to a great start! Pretty good for a first timer.

When you are ready for gumpaste/flower paste, send me an email and I'll help
you the best I can. I've written several tutorials for friends on different
gumpaste flowers.

I uploaded some pictures of some of the stuff I've done. Have a look if
you're interested.
http://community.webshots.com/user/donneigh

Keep it up! You'll get better and better with practice.

-d
d[dot]neighoff[at]verizon[dot]net

news:[email protected]...

d wrote:

I uploaded some pictures of some of the stuff I've done. Have a look if

you're interested.
http://community.webshots.com/user/donneigh

*********************
Whoa! You made all those? They are absolutely breathtaking! The
flowers are beautiful by themselves. The watch looked spectacular.
Right now I'm just gathering information. Yesterday I sat for a couple
hours at Borders bookstore reading about it. There was one book on
making gumpaste orchids that I paid special attention to. I wrote
down the procedures for basic handling of gumpaste. The book said
to have egg whites, shortening, and cornstarch at hand. If the gum-
paste was dry, it said to wipe it with egg white, if too sticky to put
thin film of shortening on my hands. It said to coat the surface that
the gumpaste is to be worked with shortening and then wipe the
excess off with a paper towel. One thing I found confusing. Bouncing
between different books, one said to spread a little powdered sugar
on the working surface, and another said absolutely not, to use corn
starch instead.

The orchid book said to color the flowers with powders, but I don't
find
them for sale anywhere, even the online specialty stores like Wilton's.

I also eyed the various tools that are used, like the tiny white
rolling
pins, and the stylus-type shaping tools. I notice that Wilton has a
beginner kit for around $20. I wonder if that would be a good bet.

I have about a billion questions! Thank you for your offer to help me!

I will email you. I bought some powdered gumpaste from the cake
store. I think I am about a week or two away from attempting some-
thing. I first want to try decorating a cake with a simple rolled
fondant and some more modelling chocolate. I saw a very striking
design using an eggshell fondant shell decorated with a combination
of dark and white chocolate clay in a Collette Peters book that I'd
like to try. That will be my first exposure to rolled fondant.
Thank you, Michael

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>d wrote:
>
> I uploaded some pictures of some of the stuff I've done. Have a look if
>
> you're interested.
> http://community.webshots.com/user/donneigh
>
> *********************
> Whoa! You made all those? They are absolutely breathtaking! The
> flowers are beautiful by themselves. The watch looked spectacular.
> Right now I'm just gathering information. Yesterday I sat for a couple

Yep, made them all. Thank you! I cheated on the watch though, I made a mold
of my husbands watch using stuff called Elastack.. it's great stuff and food
grade too. The molds made from this stuff can be used for gumpaste, fondant
or chocolate. A friend saw it used on an episode of Food Tv and told me
about it.... she just couldn't remember which show, just that product.

> hours at Borders bookstore reading about it. There was one book on
> making gumpaste orchids that I paid special attention to. I wrote
> down the procedures for basic handling of gumpaste. The book said
> to have egg whites, shortening, and cornstarch at hand. If the gum-
> paste was dry, it said to wipe it with egg white, if too sticky to put
> thin film of shortening on my hands. It said to coat the surface that
> the gumpaste is to be worked with shortening and then wipe the
> excess off with a paper towel. One thing I found confusing. Bouncing
> between different books, one said to spread a little powdered sugar
> on the working surface, and another said absolutely not, to use corn
> starch instead.

That info was correct, sort of. It all depends on you and the weather. I
work with very little cornstarch and/or shortening. The only time I work
with powdered sugar is when I'm rolling out fondant. On dry days, when the
paste is drying out too fast, I work with more shortening than I normally do
just to keep the paste from drying out. I have hot hands so I had to learn
to work fast or my hands would literally melt the paste so that helps me on
dry days when the paste drys out faster.

> The orchid book said to color the flowers with powders, but I don't
> find
> them for sale anywhere,

Was that Sugar Orchids by Alan Dunn? It's a very good book and he's an
excellent sugar artist. The orchid that I made was from that book. The dusts
can be bought from many sources online. Most brick and mortars don't carry
it. It took a long time to get my local cake shop to carry them and now they
have just about every color that CK Products sells.

Here's a few that sell the dusts:
www.globalsugarart.com They sell a wide variety of gumpaste tools and the
dusts you are looking for. Right now they are having a sale on some things
and if you buy 50.00 or more you get 15% off your total.

www.countrykitchensa.com This place sells just about everything from CK
Products... I think the owners of those places are related or something

www.nicholaslodge.com He sells pretty much the same stuff as Global Sugar
Art but he does have some of his own stuff that he designed such as cutters
and veiners. He also has videos that are reasonably priced. I have most of
the videos and they are very good. The only problem is that his prices on
everything else is kind of high

www.celcrafts.co.uk I used to order from this place a lot, until the dollar
dropped. Still, it's cheaper to buy things like the celBoards and celPins
from them instead of buying them in the US. They also have a few other
things that can't be bought online or locally from any US store.

even the online specialty stores like Wilton's.

> I also eyed the various tools that are used, like the tiny white
> rolling
> pins, and the stylus-type shaping tools. I notice that Wilton has a
> beginner kit for around $20. I wonder if that would be a good bet.

I have that pin from Wilton and when I roll my paste out with it, there are
a bunch of tiny lines in the paste. It doesn't roll as smooth as the celPins
but the end product doesn't show the tiny lines very much. It should work
very well for you, at least for a while.

> I have about a billion questions! Thank you for your offer to help me!
>
> I will email you. I bought some powdered gumpaste from the cake
> store. I think I am about a week or two away from attempting some-
> thing.

Looking forward to the email, I'm always happy to help.

I first want to try decorating a cake with a simple rolled
> fondant and some more modelling chocolate. I saw a very striking
> design using an eggshell fondant shell decorated with a combination
> of dark and white chocolate clay in a Collette Peters book that I'd
> like to try. That will be my first exposure to rolled fondant.
> Thank you, Michael

Good luck with the fondant cake. Looking forward to seeing how the cake
turns out. Just keep practicing!

Oh, and try your local library for some of these types of books. If your
local branch doesn't have them, see if any other branches has them.
-d