Choice of Hospitals and surgeons

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bill Perry, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Bill Perry

    Bill Perry Guest

    I recently had an angiogram and attempted angioplasty at the
    Veterans Hospital in Los Angeles. Unfortunately they were
    unable to open the arteries with angioplasty due to the
    location of the blocakge and so I now need surgery. The VA
    hospital is a little backlogged, so I don't know when they
    will be able to do the surgery, probably within 6 weeks or
    so, they didn't give me a date. I will be contacting them
    next week about possible dates.

    In the meantime, I have an insurance policy with Blue Shield
    of California I could use to get this done at a private
    hospital at a cost of $3000. So, I'm debating the options of
    waiting for the VA and saving money, or going to a private
    hospital at an earlier date. My condition is probably not
    critical since I was released from the VA hospital without
    much comment on the urgency of surgery.

    The real question concerns the quality of care available
    from the VA compared to a private hospital. I don't really
    care about saving 3000 if quality is questionable one place
    over another. However, the VA may be better than a private
    hospital since they are government funded and not closely
    focused on the bottom line. They seem to have quite a few
    younger doctors at the VA apparently working to gain
    experience but usually the younger ones are supervised by
    older more experienced doctors.

    Does anyone have an opinion on choices of hospitals
    and surgeons?

    Bill

    Tags:

  2. Bill:

    Perhaps you should obtain a second opinion from a private
    cardiologist in the meantime.

    If you decide to go to a private hospital in the LA Basin
    area, consider Long Beach Memorial Med Ctr. They enjoy an
    excellent reputation in terms of cardiac care. This has been
    confirmed by many people (including heart attack survivors)
    I talked with.

    All the best to you and keep us informed here at s.m.c.,

    Michael

    On 2 Apr 2004 22:46:47 -0800, [email protected] (Bill
    Perry) wrote:

    >I recently had an angiogram and attempted angioplasty at
    >the Veterans Hospital in Los Angeles. Unfortunately they
    >were unable to open the arteries with angioplasty due to
    >the location of the blocakge and so I now need surgery. The
    >VA hospital is a little backlogged, so I don't know when
    >they will be able to do the surgery, probably within 6
    >weeks or so, they didn't give me a date. I will be
    >contacting them next week about possible dates.
    >
    >In the meantime, I have an insurance policy with Blue
    >Shield of California I could use to get this done at a
    >private hospital at a cost of $3000. So, I'm debating the
    >options of waiting for the VA and saving money, or going to
    >a private hospital at an earlier date. My condition is
    >probably not critical since I was released from the VA
    >hospital without much comment on the urgency of surgery.
    >
    >The real question concerns the quality of care available
    >from the VA compared to a private hospital. I don't really
    >care about saving 3000 if quality is questionable one place
    >over another. However, the VA may be better than a private
    >hospital since they are government funded and not closely
    >focused on the bottom line. They seem to have quite a few
    >younger doctors at the VA apparently working to gain
    >experience but usually the younger ones are supervised by
    >older more experienced doctors.
    >
    >Does anyone have an opinion on choices of hospitals and
    >surgeons?
    >
    >Bill

  3. Sonos

    Sonos Guest

    On 4-Apr-2004, Michael F. Poellot <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Perhaps you should obtain a second opinion from a private
    > cardiologist in the meantime.

    I agree. Be prepared for a push to the cardiologist's
    hospital. In fact, you might choose your hospital first, and
    then seek out a cardiologist who has privledges. Or, you
    could seek out a cardiovascular surgeon instead, since they
    will be performing the surgery.

    > If you decide to go to a private hospital in the LA Basin
    > area, consider Long Beach Memorial Med Ctr. They enjoy an
    > excellent reputation in terms of cardiac care. This has
    > been confirmed by many people (including heart attack
    > survivors) I talked with.
    >
    > All the best to you and keep us informed here at s.m.c.,

    I wish you the best in health too. I'm sure it is a trying
    time for you.

    --
    Winning against heart attack and stroke
    http://www.sonoscore.com

  4. Mark Filice

    Mark Filice Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>, Bill
    Perry says...

    Go online with Blue Shield at www.mylifepath.com

    Search for Doctors and Hospitals that are part of
    their network.

    FWIW, I would go up north to Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto.
    IMO, they are on the leading edge of technology and
    treatment for cardiovascular issues.

    Another fine doctor is Dr. Edward Anderson (a Blue Shield
    physician) in Redwood City. He has privileges at Sequoia Hospital--
    another fine hospital in the area.

    I had my pacemaker implanted at Stanford Hospital. My father-in-
    law has had a couple of angioplasties at Sequoia.

    No knock on the VA doctors. But I would rather have one of
    the best cardiologists in the WORLD working on me, rather
    than the best VA cardiologist doing the procedure.

    Just my $.02 worth. (or your $3,000 worth)

    Mark

  5. Bill Perry

    Bill Perry Guest

    Michael F. Poellot <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bill:
    >
    > Perhaps you should obtain a second opinion from a private
    > cardiologist in the meantime.
    >
    > If you decide to go to a private hospital in the LA Basin
    > area, consider Long Beach Memorial Med Ctr. They enjoy an
    > excellent reputation in terms of cardiac care. This has
    > been confirmed by many people (including heart attack
    > survivors) I talked with.
    >
    > All the best to you and keep us informed here at s.m.c.,
    >
    > Michael

    Yes, Long Beach looks good. I just discovered Blue Shield
    has a website at mylifepath.com that will compare hospitals
    for volume of procedures done and Long Beach Memorial is in
    second place. Here's a list of the top 5. They all seem to
    be doing about 1 or 2 heart surgeries a day.

    San Bernardino Medical Center - 546 Long Beach Memorial MC -
    353 Los Angeles Good Samaritan - 326 Anaheim Western Medical
    Center - 251 Anaheim Memorial MC - 209

    I spoke with the VA today and apparently my case will be
    reviewed and recommendations made by a panel at a weekly
    meeting they have every Thursday. But they didn't know which
    Thursday that might be, so I will be calling every Friday
    starting this week. I tried to find out how many surgeries
    they do there, but nobody seemed to know. The nurse I spoke
    with just indicated they did quite a few. Another problem is
    they need to obtain all the records (EKG, ect) from the Long
    Beach VA hospital where I had the first angiogram done, so
    the process is also being delayed at that end. I have a
    contact person at Long beach, so I may have to give him a
    call to see what is going on. I'm sure I'll get this thing
    done sooner or later, but it sure would be nice to have a
    definite date.

    Bill