Choice to make on forkage (not "which fork")

Coyoteboy

Guest
I've got a set of old zokes air forks (need some TLC but work), some
zokes BLTs (work fine but arent great) and my original rigids.

I'm running them on my old XC frame as a commuter and maybe an XC
training machine, most of the time i run my 5 inch full sus but that is
hard enough work for me to not bother going out on it except for
extreme rides. Im not not sure I can deal with the shame of the zokes
forks :). To add insult to injury if I want to switch back to rigid on
it i have to buy a new threaded headset as my old one rotted away :)

So my question to you all is:

Zokes air, find some spacers and a pump and ride with the shame
Zokes BLT, find new headset and ride with the shame
Rigid, find new headset and have my crackers rattled off but look
gnarly :D

James

"Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a set of old zokes air forks (need some TLC but work), some
> zokes BLTs (work fine but arent great) and my original rigids.
>
> I'm running them on my old XC frame as a commuter and maybe an XC
> training machine, most of the time i run my 5 inch full sus but that is
> hard enough work for me to not bother going out on it except for
> extreme rides. Im not not sure I can deal with the shame of the zokes
> forks :). To add insult to injury if I want to switch back to rigid on
> it i have to buy a new threaded headset as my old one rotted away :)
>
> So my question to you all is:
>
> Zokes air, find some spacers and a pump and ride with the shame
> Zokes BLT, find new headset and ride with the shame
> Rigid, find new headset and have my crackers rattled off but look
> gnarly :D
>
> James

I'd go rigid... (as it were).

If it's not your main bike, then you get the proper retro training thing
(i.e. it's more technical, and you get the looks from people on softer
bikes).

And if you're commuting on it, I presume on road, then you'll enjoy it all
the more.

I've got an old Giant frame (Giant in every sense) and I converted it to
rigid for "old skool" and road work. Got the threaded 1&1/8 steerer from
Ebay for 99p (that's cheap that is!) - fitted fine and away I've gone!

AndyC

OK, thats good, glad someone else agrees with my 'inner thoughts' lol.
I'm off to find a headset :)
Kinda looking forward to feeling a rigid again, in a purely
cycle-related context :)
Cheers

"Coyoteboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, thats good, glad someone else agrees with my 'inner thoughts' lol.
> I'm off to find a headset :)
> Kinda looking forward to feeling a rigid again, in a purely
> cycle-related context :)
> Cheers

To add to this..
A friend and I were doing the Syfydrin trail in mid-Wales this last weekend.
It's quite a trail (I'll post a RR later).
Link: http://www.mbwales.com/nant_y_arian/maps.htm

Anyway, I was on my Heckler and he road a fully rigid Cannondale (as he
always does) across some pretty hardcore tracks and trails.
All credit to him, and the ability of the bike, reckon he had a different
experience to me though!

AndyC

wow, im glad i went rigid, 34 miles a day is harder than i remember lol

How FAST does a rigid bike feel on 60psi slicks?!