Choices - Getting Back in the Saddle

sgnden

Nov 21, 2004
Hello:

Once upon a time (like 20 years ago..at age 25), I was a fairly serious touring rider. Fast forward to present day and the terror of my reflection in the 'ol mirror. Hmmm...Time to RIDE again. I am not going to tour...more 10-50 mile stuff...go fast and have fun. I want good gear that I will not regret. I will ride on streets in hilly (not mountainous) Central CT.

Any advice on specific bikes to look at in the $1500 - $2200 range? I have been heading toward Lemond, C-Dale, Bianchi, Trek. ANY advice is very appreciated!!

There's a ton of bikes in that price range to choose from. My suggestion would be to test ride everything you can get your hands on that fits that price range and to see what feels best to you. There will be many aluminum frames and carbon frames with many different component groups on them. Choose a material first, and then go from there--between aluminum, steel, titanium aluminum/carbon mixes and carbon fiber--you'll have your work cut out for you. In general, I find that aluminum is a stiff material that may not be comfortable for very long rides (my opinion), so carbon, steel and titanium may be better choices (again, in my opinion). Personally, I ride steel, and will probably stick with it for quite a while. There are tons of choices out there for you though. Good luck in your search!!

sgnden said:
Hello:

Once upon a time (like 20 years ago..at age 25), I was a fairly serious touring rider. Fast forward to present day and the terror of my reflection in the 'ol mirror. Hmmm...Time to RIDE again. I am not going to tour...more 10-50 mile stuff...go fast and have fun. I want good gear that I will not regret. I will ride on streets in hilly (not mountainous) Central CT.

Any advice on specific bikes to look at in the $1500 - $2200 range? I have been heading toward Lemond, C-Dale, Bianchi, Trek. ANY advice is very appreciated!!

All good choices. It's not the brand, though. It's proper fit and proper gearing for your strength and abilities and the type of riding you want to do. I suggest you go to every bike shop within a reasonable distance of you and talk to the shop people. When you get a sense you have found a shop that really cares about selling the right bike to you, rather than just selling you any bike, then you will have some confidence in the reccomendations you will get.

You are not unique in this situation, as there are many previous racers/tourers on this forum who stopped and have restarted. I have to agree with fit, etc., and also think that the bike shop you buy from is vitally important. I like to have a good relationship with the shop, and that is almost as important as what kind of bike I ride. With that all said, I recently bought a Giant TCR2 aluminum bike for $1200 and am very happy. There is an amazing selection of bikes available. Take your time shopping and have fun. Good luck.

Thank you for the input. Funny how one intuitively "knows" the answer to a query such as mine...which is basically "ride some bikes...understand a bit more than the basics...and buy what FITS." Still...it's always nice to hear what others might buy if spending $2,000 on a ride after 20 years "off". Most importantly...thanks for the most welcome Python reference!!

ghostpedal said:
You are not unique in this situation, as there are many previous racers/tourers on this forum who stopped and have restarted. I have to agree with fit, etc., and also think that the bike shop you buy from is vitally important. I like to have a good relationship with the shop, and that is almost as important as what kind of bike I ride. With that all said, I recently bought a Giant TCR2 aluminum bike for $1200 and am very happy. There is an amazing selection of bikes available. Take your time shopping and have fun. Good luck.

sgnden said:
Thank you for the input. Funny how one intuitively "knows" the answer to a query such as mine...which is basically "ride some bikes...understand a bit more than the basics...and buy what FITS." Still...it's always nice to hear what others might buy if spending $2,000 on a ride after 20 years "off". Most importantly...thanks for the most welcome Python reference!!
Also, unless you are into servicing your own bike and have some tools to do maintenance, get to know your bike shops. Some are good at selling the bike but the service may suck. Avoid those if you have to rely upon them for service.

Keep in mind there are more choices out there today than when you were into it before. You can get everything from a Specialized Sequoia, which provides a very upright comfortable position to a more aero racing geometry. The amount of flexibility you have may depend on how much of yourself you saw staring back at you in that mirror (the damned things).

So true. I am going to make my decison based on fit/feel/performance keeping in mind 1) Frame, 2) Componentry, 3) Wheel set...as priorities related to the "gear" (no, I am not an engineer...but I play one on T.V.). I will ride the following: Specialized Roubaix, C-dale R1000, Lemond Versaille and Arrivee Ti (if on deal), Lemond Zurich ($), Felt F55 (never heard of it though), Trek 5000 (though I am irrationally prejudiced against Trek..not sure why). Just dying to get on the road...better than dying at my stinkin' desk for sure!

Doctor Morbius said:
Also, unless you are into servicing your own bike and have some tools to do maintenance, get to know your bike shops. Some are good at selling the bike but the service may suck. Avoid those if you have to rely upon them for service.

Keep in mind there are more choices out there today than when you were into it before. You can get everything from a Specialized Sequoia, which provides a very upright comfortable position to a more aero racing geometry. The amount of flexibility you have may depend on how much of yourself you saw staring back at you in that mirror (the damned things).

undefinedundefinedundefined
sgnden said:
So true. I am going to make my decison based on fit/feel/performance keeping in mind 1) Frame, 2) Componentry, 3) Wheel set...as priorities related to the "gear" (no, I am not an engineer...but I play one on T.V.). I will ride the following: Specialized Roubaix, C-dale R1000, Lemond Versaille and Arrivee Ti (if on deal), Lemond Zurich ($), Felt F55 (never heard of it though), Trek 5000 (though I am irrationally prejudiced against Trek..not sure why). Just dying to get on the road...better than dying at my stinkin' desk for sure!

I never heard of Felt either but I'm glad I gave one a try. I was looking at bikes $4,000. and up and tried some of the best (Merlin, Cervello, Look) and a whole lot more but chose the FeltF10. SIMPLY AMAZING!!! They don't make that model anymore but they have great bikes. I know the F55 and it is a very good bike. All of there bikes are fast and nimble. What ever you do the most important things to remember are exactly what you already know. Good luck, take your time and have a blast!

Same situation I was in when I got back into cycling a few years ago. A decent crit rider in the late 70's, quit riding, got back into it a few years ago when the weight started to climb and I could feel myself rotting away.

The bike? Go ride a few and see what you think. Don't automatically dismiss the Trek - the 5000 series is an excellent CF frame, and quite cost effective. Trek was pretty much unknown when I was riding, so I guess I don't have that prejudice. You'll either love or hate the LeMond - one of my partners has one, and I love it, but another rider in our group hates it, just doesn't fit him. Klein also makes a nice CF bike.

I built up the bike I wanted, just to revive my nascent bike wrenching skills. Trek CF frame, Campy Chorus group, Rolf wheels, spent around $2.5k, and still riding it, although I have since tossed the regular handlebars for carbon bars, and the Rolfs gave way to Campy Zonda wheels cause they ride a bit softer.

Your form comes back quickly enough. Instead of youth, you now have the motivation of maturity (or the grim reaper breathing down your back, as the case may be). I ride the hilly country of KY, and now relish a certain 2 mile long hillclimb near my house, when I used to fear it. I get a big kick out of seeing improvement, when most people our age are skidding downhill.

Recently ambushed a mountain biker 12 years my junior on that 2 mile long hillclimb. They can sprint, but got no endurance. Dropped him big time. The old dog can still bite...

Hey John: Thanks for the excellent post...motivating for sure. Yeah, I am done with the "I used-to-be" <fill in the blank> stories to which I tend to defualt when getting charged-up about some 'greatness' in my past (real or imagined). The nicest thing is KNOWING that I understand "how" to do what I will do...and when one can excel with MODESTY and just quietly kick-a**...well, that fires me up nicely...nothing better (almost).

It's amazing what becomes priority over the years, at least in my case. I am sooo psyched...don't want to over-analyze....but do want to take 'enough' time to find what's right for me. I almost talked myself into just going out this weekend figuring that since I have my 'measurements' I can just spend my way to a great ride...silly...came to my senses. I could run out and drop $5k...surely have nice gear...but #1 I'd be embarassed...but most importantly it does not gurantee it'd be the 'right' ride for ME. From all I can tell I'll need about $2k for the bike + pedals, helmet, shoes (I have some old sailing gloves and riding gloves that'll work)...force myself to wear some riding shorts, throw on a T-shirt and START. AT the end of the day, it's that last word that matters most (START)!

Thanks again. Sgn

JohnO said:
Same situation I was in when I got back into cycling a few years ago. A decent crit rider in the late 70's, quit riding, got back into it a few years ago when the weight started to climb and I could feel myself rotting away.

The bike? Go ride a few and see what you think. Don't automatically dismiss the Trek - the 5000 series is an excellent CF frame, and quite cost effective. Trek was pretty much unknown when I was riding, so I guess I don't have that prejudice. You'll either love or hate the LeMond - one of my partners has one, and I love it, but another rider in our group hates it, just doesn't fit him. Klein also makes a nice CF bike.

I built up the bike I wanted, just to revive my nascent bike wrenching skills. Trek CF frame, Campy Chorus group, Rolf wheels, spent around $2.5k, and still riding it, although I have since tossed the regular handlebars for carbon bars, and the Rolfs gave way to Campy Zonda wheels cause they ride a bit softer.

Your form comes back quickly enough. Instead of youth, you now have the motivation of maturity (or the grim reaper breathing down your back, as the case may be). I ride the hilly country of KY, and now relish a certain 2 mile long hillclimb near my house, when I used to fear it. I get a big kick out of seeing improvement, when most people our age are skidding downhill.

Recently ambushed a mountain biker 12 years my junior on that 2 mile long hillclimb. They can sprint, but got no endurance. Dropped him big time. The old dog can still bite...

Amazing, isn't it? You spend half your life pursuing a 'career', getting worried about who got the window office, who did well in the boss's golf scramble, who drives the latest waste-of-money car... and then a good friend drops dead from a stress induced heart attack. Gone. In the ground.

Why did he go through all of that? He left a nice pile of stuff for other people to fight over, an office full of 'awards' that are as dead as he is, and spent his life in constant worry. And there I sat, the once skinny kid now getting fat in a chair, and heading in the same direction. Yeah, it was time to stop remembering the glory days and start doing it again.

Couple of things that helped me:

Bike attire. Makes a big difference. A good jersey keeps you dry and fresh. Well worth the $50-60 they cost. The tight pants make you self conscious at first, but they're worth it - things don't rub, if you catch my drift. When you get in shape, you might even catch an admiring glance from a female... when was the last time that happened?

Heart rate monitor - they're cheap, and tell you a lot. I'm a software guy by profession. Some day I want to design a HRM that plays 'Taps' when the rate drops to zero...

Numb hands - I had a problem with that. Better gloves, and carbon handlebars got that under control. A Zipp 404 wheelset will also solve numb hands, although it's a pricey solution. Dang, they sure didn't make wheels like this when we were riding...

Saddles - be prepared to go through a few before you can find one that gets your vertical smile to really smile. I ended up with the pricey but comfortable Fizik Aliante.

Company - Find some riding partners, preferably people in your same position. You push yourself a lot harder when the group isn't stopping for a rest break, or you see someone pulling away from you, or you're suffering on a long climb and suddenly realized the guy on your wheel isn't there any more... ho ho, did I just drop him? That has a way of giving you an extra burst of energy.

I used to dodge the discussions on personal sports. Um, I used to ride back in college. Now, I say - I am a cyclist - and say it with pride.

-John

sgnden said:
Hey John: Thanks for the excellent post...motivating for sure. Yeah, I am done with the "I used-to-be" <fill in the blank> stories to which I tend to defualt when getting charged-up about some 'greatness' in my past (real or imagined). The nicest thing is KNOWING that I understand "how" to do what I will do...and when one can excel with MODESTY and just quietly kick-a**...well, that fires me up nicely...nothing better (almost).

It's amazing what becomes priority over the years, at least in my case. I am sooo psyched...don't want to over-analyze....but do want to take 'enough' time to find what's right for me. I almost talked myself into just going out this weekend figuring that since I have my 'measurements' I can just spend my way to a great ride...silly...came to my senses. I could run out and drop $5k...surely have nice gear...but #1 I'd be embarassed...but most importantly it does not gurantee it'd be the 'right' ride for ME. From all I can tell I'll need about $2k for the bike + pedals, helmet, shoes (I have some old sailing gloves and riding gloves that'll work)...force myself to wear some riding shorts, throw on a T-shirt and START. AT the end of the day, it's that last word that matters most (START)!

Thanks again. Sgn

sgnden said:
Hello:

Like you, I am a formerly serious rider (mainly road races) years ago and got back on my bike in March of this year. I've made good progress in getting my form back. I've still got a long way to go but I've got my 40K TT power up to ~270w, which allows me to keep up with my weekend ride group quite well. Two suggestions about equipment. Lots of companies have good bike frames and they all use the same components so the key decision is the frame. Before you fall in love with a frame maker, check the geometry of their standard sizes vs. your dimensions. Three things are critical: (1) length from bottom bracket to seat; (2) length from seat to the top center of the head tube; and (3) the center of gravity. A good LBS can tell you which frames "fit" your dimensions. For example, I rejected several well-known and highly regarded frame makers because their standard sizes were wrong for me. There is no "magic" material anymore. They make light and strong frames now out of every material, including steel (you'll be amazed to learn how thin they can extrude steel now). Don't worry about a few grams of weight difference. Geometry trumps weight any day. Second, if you can afford it get a power meter. The benefits of training with a power meter are huge. These devices have transformed training. I use the PowerTap SL and wouldn't give it up for anything. Good luck and welcome back.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I recently had the same occur...a very very tightly wound private equity/finance guy (my friend)...I had dinner with him in Chicago one night...ate enough who-knows-what dishes and Ouzo to choke a horse...next frame, a call that he just dropped" (Sudden/irrecoverable M.I.). I just said "So...what has to happen to wake me up?".

I love your idea about the monitor that plays Taps! My brother is long-time Microsoft archictect...he has some fun ideas for cycling (he's a serious rider) but of course will never get them to market...but every year he promises to sit down with me an "download" so I can help him figure-out how to get to market...that company will eventually kill him, I swear.

I strive for "balance"...but it is VERY tough with my business right now to make myself do what's healthy for ME "first"...but it is time.

I will certainly take your advice...great point about finding someone to ride with...that would be helpful for me, MOST definitely. Thanks for the dialouge, you sound like a good guy.

- Steve

JohnO said:
Amazing, isn't it? You spend half your life pursuing a 'career', getting worried about who got the window office, who did well in the boss's golf scramble, who drives the latest waste-of-money car... and then a good friend drops dead from a stress induced heart attack. Gone. In the ground.

Why did he go through all of that? He left a nice pile of stuff for other people to fight over, an office full of 'awards' that are as dead as he is, and spent his life in constant worry. And there I sat, the once skinny kid now getting fat in a chair, and heading in the same direction. Yeah, it was time to stop remembering the glory days and start doing it again.

Couple of things that helped me:

Bike attire. Makes a big difference. A good jersey keeps you dry and fresh. Well worth the $50-60 they cost. The tight pants make you self conscious at first, but they're worth it - things don't rub, if you catch my drift. When you get in shape, you might even catch an admiring glance from a female... when was the last time that happened?

Heart rate monitor - they're cheap, and tell you a lot. I'm a software guy by profession. Some day I want to design a HRM that plays 'Taps' when the rate drops to zero...

Numb hands - I had a problem with that. Better gloves, and carbon handlebars got that under control. A Zipp 404 wheelset will also solve numb hands, although it's a pricey solution. Dang, they sure didn't make wheels like this when we were riding...

Saddles - be prepared to go through a few before you can find one that gets your vertical smile to really smile. I ended up with the pricey but comfortable Fizik Aliante.

Company - Find some riding partners, preferably people in your same position. You push yourself a lot harder when the group isn't stopping for a rest break, or you see someone pulling away from you, or you're suffering on a long climb and suddenly realized the guy on your wheel isn't there any more... ho ho, did I just drop him? That has a way of giving you an extra burst of energy.

I used to dodge the discussions on personal sports. Um, I used to ride back in college. Now, I say - I am a cyclist - and say it with pride.

-John

Hi, posting again. This is a great thread about getting back in the saddle and realizing what is really important. Anyway, another thought I had about buying my bike, and am glad I did, is that I need time in the saddle again to even know what I want. I could have bought more than a $1200 Giant TCR2, but figured it was a good bike, and I could refine my tastes for the next bike. Already I have fiddled with almost every adjustment and measurement, changed lever locations, rewrapped the bars differently, changed water bottle cage design, etc. I absolutely love my bike, but I am learning what I feel is important (the Fizik seat is worth every penny), and I will keep that in mind with my next bicycle purchase. Good luck.