Cholesterol Results

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Duane Storey, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Duane Storey

    Duane Storey Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I've had a recent cholesterol test, and I'd like some advice, since
    what I"m doing doesn't seem to be working...

    Jul 02 Jul 03
    Cholesterol 6.1 5.7
    LDL 4.2 4.0
    HDL 1.4 1.2
    Chol/HDL 4.4 4.75
    Trig/HDL 0.85 0.83
    Trigly 1.2 1.0

    I've been on a low fat diet for nearly a year now (around 1500
    calories a day, 15-20% fat) and these are the results.. I've lost
    maybe 5 pounds, despite running 20 kms a week, and going to the gym 4
    or so days a at a time..

    I exercise so much more now, so I'm surprised that my HDL went down.
    I talked to my doctor about these results, and I think I'm going to
    try to get off this low-fat diet, and switch to something higher in
    unsaturated fats (maybe shooting for 30% or so daily).. what does
    everyone think? Most of the literature I have seen shows pretty
    astonishing results when fats are added back into normal diets.. One
    benefit is usually lower LDL and higher HDL.

    I'd appreciate some advice, as heart disease runs in my family, and
    I'm trying to beat it (I'm 26).

    THanks.

    Tags:

  2. First of all, at 4.75 your ratio isn't so bad. Yes, try going off of
    low fat. To improve it with diet, consider replacing some carbs with
    mono saturated oils like olive oil. Nuts are also a good choice. Add
    one or two drinks a day. Eat oily fish at least 2 x a week. Dr.
    Willett from Harvard has said that up to 80% of heart disease could be
    prevented by diet and exercise. See
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramids.html