cholestrol

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by francispoon, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. francispoon

    francispoon Guest

    My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
    i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
    thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.

    Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.

    FP

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "francispoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
    > i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
    > thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.
    >
    > Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.
    >
    > FP

    Diet and exercise first. How agressive one should be if this does not work
    probably depends on any other factors - e.g. age, gender, family history, etc.

    Bill

  3. You should also get your HDL checked. The ratio total chol/HDL is the
    key. If your HDL is high you may be fine.

    [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
    > i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
    > thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.
    >
    > Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.
    >
    > FP

  4. Al. Lohse

    Al. Lohse Guest

    francispoon wrote:

    > My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
    > i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
    > thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.
    >
    > Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.
    >
    > FP

    This is what our Dr. Chung had to say about
    it on the 20th of June, 2003 :

    `What separates out the folks at risk is the
    ratio of total cholesterol divided by HDL.
    Total cholesterol in isolation is hardly
    useful except when extremely high (greater
    than 300 - where the "small" differences in
    CHD event rates is hardly trivial).'

    Your cholesterol is NOT "very high," it is
    "high normal." Mine is lightly higher than
    yours. There is also no evidence that
    drugging it down is at all beneficial.See:
    http://www.ti.ubc.ca/pages/letter48.htm

    Also from:

    http://www.nexusmagazine.com/OilingAmerica.2.html

    ============= start quote =============
    The ongoing Framingham Study found that there
    was virtually no difference in coronary heart
    disease (CHD) "events" for individuals with
    cholesterol levels between 205 mg/dL and 294
    mg/dL - the vast majority of the US
    population. Even for those with extremely
    high cholesterol levels - up to almost 1,200
    mg/dL - the difference in CHD events compared
    to those in the normal range was trivial.29
    =============== end quote ============
    reference 29:

    29. Smith, R. and E. R. Pinckney, Diet, Blood
    Cholesterol and Coronary Heart Disease: A
    Critical Review of the Literature, Vector
    Enterprises, Sherman Oaks, CA, USA, 1991,
    vol. 2

    Regards, A.L.

  5. francispoon wrote:

    > My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
    > i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
    > thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.

    It is reasonable to try diet, exercise, and losing weight first.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist