cholestrol

francispoon

Guest
My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.

Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.

FP

"francispoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
> i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
> thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.
>
> Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.
>
> FP

Diet and exercise first. How agressive one should be if this does not work
probably depends on any other factors - e.g. age, gender, family history, etc.

Bill

You should also get your HDL checked. The ratio total chol/HDL is the
key. If your HDL is high you may be fine.

francispoon wrote:

> My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
> i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
> thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.
>
> Interested in some views. Thank you in advance.
>
> FP

This is what our Dr. Chung had to say about
it on the 20th of June, 2003 :

`What separates out the folks at risk is the
ratio of total cholesterol divided by HDL.
Total cholesterol in isolation is hardly
useful except when extremely high (greater
than 300 - where the "small" differences in
CHD event rates is hardly trivial).'

Your cholesterol is NOT "very high," it is
"high normal." Mine is lightly higher than
yours. There is also no evidence that
drugging it down is at all beneficial.See:
http://www.ti.ubc.ca/pages/letter48.htm

Also from:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/OilingAmerica.2.html

============= start quote =============
The ongoing Framingham Study found that there
was virtually no difference in coronary heart
disease (CHD) "events" for individuals with
cholesterol levels between 205 mg/dL and 294
mg/dL - the vast majority of the US
population. Even for those with extremely
high cholesterol levels - up to almost 1,200
mg/dL - the difference in CHD events compared
to those in the normal range was trivial.29
=============== end quote ============
reference 29:

29. Smith, R. and E. R. Pinckney, Diet, Blood
Cholesterol and Coronary Heart Disease: A
Critical Review of the Literature, Vector
Enterprises, Sherman Oaks, CA, USA, 1991,
vol. 2

Regards, A.L.

francispoon wrote:

> My medical check-up shows i have very high cholestrol(about 250). Do
> i need to take medication for it? Is the medication a life time
> thing? My doctor told me to go for a dietary control first.

It is reasonable to try diet, exercise, and losing weight first.

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist