Choose a tire that grip in wet pavement & soil

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger Wong

I'm using Tioga Factory XC 1.9. The tire is virtually no traction in web pavement. I ride mostly in
mountain but I had ride around 5km to get to the mountain.

Are there any tire that provide proper traction in web pavement and soil while the rolling
resistance is acceptable? Of course, I expect the tire works OK in dry condition as well.

Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

Roger Wong says:

>Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?
>

I have been using Specialized HardRock'rs for years. Never found a reason to change - good grip in
most conditions, most surfaces.

Steve

"Roger Wong" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm using Tioga Factory XC 1.9. The tire is virtually no traction in web pavement. I ride mostly in
>mountain but I had ride around 5km to get to the mountain.
>
>Are there any tire that provide proper traction in web pavement and soil while the rolling
>resistance is acceptable? Of course, I expect the tire works OK in dry condition as well.
>
>Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

Depending on how far you want to push it in the dirt (and how muddy the conditions you ride in are),
you might consider one of the semi-slicks like the Ritchey SpeedMax. They roll almost as well as a
true knobby on the asphalt and on fire roads, but have enough knobs on the edges to hook up
reasonably well in the dirt. You can't ride them with the wild abandon your megaknobbies allow, but
if you're smooth you'll go faster overall on many rides (especially those involving asphalt).

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

> Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

Continental Vertical Pro or similar...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Status
Not open for further replies.