Choose a tire that grip in wet pavement & soil

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Roger Wong, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Roger Wong

    Roger Wong Guest

    I'm using Tioga Factory XC 1.9. The tire is virtually no traction in web pavement. I ride mostly in
    mountain but I had ride around 5km to get to the mountain.

    Are there any tire that provide proper traction in web pavement and soil while the rolling
    resistance is acceptable? Of course, I expect the tire works OK in dry condition as well.

    Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

    Tags:

  2. Roger Wong says:

    >Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

    I have been using Specialized HardRock'rs for years. Never found a reason to change - good grip in
    most conditions, most surfaces.

    Steve

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Roger Wong" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm using Tioga Factory XC 1.9. The tire is virtually no traction in web pavement. I ride mostly in
    >mountain but I had ride around 5km to get to the mountain.
    >
    >Are there any tire that provide proper traction in web pavement and soil while the rolling
    >resistance is acceptable? Of course, I expect the tire works OK in dry condition as well.
    >
    >Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

    Depending on how far you want to push it in the dirt (and how muddy the conditions you ride in are),
    you might consider one of the semi-slicks like the Ritchey SpeedMax. They roll almost as well as a
    true knobby on the asphalt and on fire roads, but have enough knobs on the edges to hook up
    reasonably well in the dirt. You can't ride them with the wild abandon your megaknobbies allow, but
    if you're smooth you'll go faster overall on many rides (especially those involving asphalt).

  4. Fred Hinkson

    Fred Hinkson Guest

    Try IRC KUJO.

    MTB Ride hard die free.

  5. > Well. I know I have asked a lot. Basically a all-condition tire. Any suggestion?

    Continental Vertical Pro or similar...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training