Choose: OCR1, TCR1, 1200, F80

costamesanewb

Mar 15, 2006
I am just getting into biking and have been doing a ton of research. I am looking at the sub $1000 range. I have done some shopping and found 2006 models of:

Giant OCR1 -$899
Giant TCR1 - $1029
Trek 1200 - $849
Felt F80 - $809

I want a bike that I will be able to ride hard and fast, but take some 40+ mile rides on the weekends. I will probably compete in some tri's within a year or so as well. Please give me as much input as you can. I really appreciate it.

I'd go with something maybe a little higher end. There's nothing worse than buying a bike and a year later regretting it. Try to find a team or group to ride with. See if they have any connections with a local bike shop to get you a good deal on a bike. I'd suggest getting a Trek 2100 for you. It will come to about $1500 if your shop will cut you a small break. It has a decent frame with pretty good components and average wheels. It's good for you because it gives you an opportunity to upgrade if you really like cycling but even for commuting this bike will really move you along.

-Rudy

costamesanewb said:
I am just getting into biking and have been doing a ton of research. I am looking at the sub $1000 range. I have done some shopping and found 2006 models of:

Giant OCR1 -$899
Giant TCR1 - $1029
Trek 1200 - $849
Felt F80 - $809

I want a bike that I will be able to ride hard and fast, but take some 40+ mile rides on the weekends. I will probably compete in some tri's within a year or so as well. Please give me as much input as you can. I really appreciate it.

TCR1 if its the composite frame 2006

hd reynolds said:
TCR1 if its the composite frame 2006
Gee, look at the poll. The guy specified aluminum and the price, so, no, it's not the carbon fiber one he looked at.

Insight Driver said:
Gee, look at the poll. The guy specified aluminum and the price, so, no, it's not the carbon fiber one he looked at.

Where in his post did he specify its aluminum?

FYI, the GIANT 2006 catalogue has the TCR1 as a complete bike with composite frame/fork... as well as a TCR2 and a TCR3.

They have a 2006 TCR aluminum and a TCR Team aluminum but only as a frame w/ composite fork - and it says TCR only not TCR1. Even OCR1, OCR2 are composite framed complete bikes while the OCR3 is an Aluminum framed complete bike.

2005 models maybe but not 2006.

If you want to do TRIs, then the OCR is out, it is a comfort bike, Giant do not recommend it for Tri use.

So its the Felt and the TCR, the Felt is a triple, so what do you need? Hill climbing or flats? From my experience, and observations, its just personal preference.

I will look up the Trek Geometry and post a comment later.
Later: The geometry is siimilar to the OCR, I would not recomend it for TRI use. A bit "entry level" on components too.

Well, mostly flat. I don't think I need a triple, because I am already in pretty decent shape. The weight is not that big of an issue, because I know I won't get anything that light for around $1000. I am also pretty light (150 lbs), so flex isn't an issue either. I appreciate all the responses. Keep 'em coming.

I bought my wife an OCR1 (2005) for her birthday. I've ridden it a few times, and can tell you that it does have a more upright position, but that can be altered pretty easily with a different stem.

One thing about compact frames is that they tend to have very stable handling, more like a mountain bike in some ways. The OCR1 is like driving a Cadillac; very smooth. I recommend it for ride quality.

Look at the bianchi line of bikes. I have been very impressed at what the have to offer for the price point. Other than that, I am inclined to say go a step up towards the 1300-1500$ price point. Although in saying that I also realize that that could be out of your price range period. If that is the case, then simply ride all of these. I think at this price range it is hard to say that any one bike is simply better than the other. They all come with pretty similar components. Check out Raleigh too...they have come out with some super nice stuff for '06. Also, look for last years models. I was shopping around and found an old 04-05 Felt F55 full ultegra and carbon fork and seat stays for 1150$ at my LBS. They had just swapped the wheels out to basic wheels. Very good deal. Look around and see what ya find.
~Nick

I just found a F75 for $1142. The frame is better, better wheels and components. Seems like my best option. What do you think?

costamesanewb said:
I just found a F75 for $1142. The frame is better, better wheels and components. Seems like my best option. What do you think?
As long as it fits, buy it. It will serve you well for all your stated purposes, including TRI use. :D

hd reynolds said:
Where in his post did he specify its aluminum?

FYI, the GIANT 2006 catalogue has the TCR1 as a complete bike with composite frame/fork... as well as a TCR2 and a TCR3.

They have a 2006 TCR aluminum and a TCR Team aluminum but only as a frame w/ composite fork - and it says TCR only not TCR1. Even OCR1, OCR2 are composite framed complete bikes while the OCR3 is an Aluminum framed complete bike.

2005 models maybe but not 2006.
For whatever it's worth, I have the 2006 GIANT catalog and I just ordered the TCR C1, which is the full composite frame. (page 12) There is a TCR1 on page 14 which is aluminum w shimano 105 setup. Based on his price quote I'm sure he/she is referring to the aluminum frame. My advice to the original question is to spend a little more if you can. I purchased my first road bike about 9 months ago, entry level ($600) and am already buying up. $$$$$$!!!!!!! I'm hoping my new TCR C1 will keep me happy for years to come!

I just went for a 2005 TCR C3. The bike felt amazing and was on sale for $1300. I don't think I could've found a better deal on a new bike that felt so nice. What do you think? Thanks for all the replies.

I don't know about you, but I had lots of wheel problems with my specialized allez sport and it was a 900 dollar bike. Think about getting out of the entry level... shop in the 1000+ range. They always say, nothing talks like money, especially when it comes to quality.

costamesanewb said:
I just went for a 2005 TCR C3. The bike felt amazing and was on sale for $1300. I don't think I could've found a better deal on a new bike that felt so nice. What do you think? Thanks for all the replies.
good choice and a good deal. I have a 05 Giant TCR2 Composite for 14 months now with no problems. Paid $1850.00 for it which was a good deal from a friend who is a Giant dealer. I am getting ready to part with the TCR2 and get a Cervelo Soloist carbon or keep the Giant and get a Soloist Team Alum too. Like others have said if you ride a lot you will upgrade eventually.

alienator said:
Have you ridden any of these bikes?
He just bought one. Read the whole thread for the details.

I think you got a good deal! I'm hoping to catch a good carbon frame next spring on sale.

I rode them all, but once I got on the carbon, there was no turning back. That Cervelo looks so sweet! I wanted to try it out, but I knew that I would end up having to buy it from everything I hear about it. And it would be dumb for me to spend $2000+ on a first bike. But I couldn't see me not getting serious about the sport after riding the TCR C1.