Choosing a new bike: seeking your input

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Howard

I have ridden a 30-year old (Ross Professional) heavy 10-speed on and off now for the past 30 years.
After my doctor said I had high cholesterol etc.I decided to dust it off out of storage, and I am
now totally F****** hooked on biking. I love to ride.

I bike to work at least 2-3 days a week (9 miles each way). I ride on the weekends (10-40 miles
each trip).

I live in the Bronx and Man, the streets are really rough!

Finally, I am 52, 6 feet tall, short legs, long torso, and dying to replace this heavy bike,
although I have done *everything* possible to make this bike work (adjustments, clothing, clipless
pedals, hydration units) until I can put the real bucks into something sweet. (Besides, this bike
has been an education in what not to get, and an insight into how I really ride.)

So, Here's the Question:

I would like to get a road bike for these commutes/rides which is tough enough to withstand the
Bronx, NYC, and all the other places I go. But, I want a really sweet, comfortable ride, such that
the bike "falls away" and I am running thru the air. (I have experienced this: it's gotta be similar
to surfing in the tube or any other Karmic experience. That's my goal.

My bike buddy suggests Lemond Buenos Aires because of the geometry, but I don't want to think I'll
be too worried about the wheels getting banged up or out of round because of the unfortunate
conditions I ride in. His advise sounds solid. He suggests that 105 components are my "floor".

What does anybody think would be a great bike under these conditions? I don't race and don't plan
to, but I LOVE to go fast. I pedal downhill almost always.

I am especially interested in hearing from NYC riders and their thoughts and experiences, and
suggestions.

I expect to pay about 1500 and can wait til summer's end to get a better deal (I ride down to 40
degrees and as long into the winter as possible). I am also looking on Ebay, too.

Thanks in advance,

Howard Levinger

Status
Not open for further replies.