Choosing a pack-portable, road/trail pump

Paul

Guest
Hey Guys,

I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?

Paul

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey Guys,
>
> I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
> with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
> of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?
>
> Paul

Topeak Turbo Morph is the pump I carry.
It sticks out a little out of the top of the Camelback but what the heck.
Unless you want to carry a regular floor shop pump, there isn't any better
pumps around.

:
: I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
: with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
: of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?
:
: Paul

Topeak Road Morph. period.

Pat in TX

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Hey Guys,
>
>I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
>with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
>of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?

Topeak morph.
--------------
Alex

Paul wrote:

> I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
> with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
> of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?

If the Topeak Road Morph is small enough for you, I can highly
recommend it. Mine's been very reliable for several years now, and the
gauge seems reasonably accurate (compared to my floor pump).

RichC

Thanks for all the info! After looking around a bit, it doesn't seem
like there are as many with gauges on them as I thought there would
be. I think I'll go with the Topeak; but first I'm measuring my
Camelbak Blowfish to see if there will be enough room for it.
Also, will the Road Morph work for MTB tires? As you can tell, road
gear is new to me, as I'm just starting out road biking.

Thanks,

Paul

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

>>Cyclaire
>>see:
>>http://tinyurl.com/8vokn
>>Truly innovative, gauge included, pumps to 120 psi easily, does
>>schraeder and presta valves.

> Anyone have first hand experience with this pump?
> -------------
> Alex

Just starting to use mine. It seems to take a long time to air up a
tire compared to my floor pump, but I don't care if it gets the job
done. I have it bungied to one of my bottle racks right now. My new
bike has semi-eliptical tubes and the regular mounting bracket won't
work. If it wasn't for that reason, it would interfere with the routing
of the cables. I only have presta valves and it does okay with them but
I have not had to use it "in the wild."

On 18 Aug 2005 07:55:55 -0700, "Andrew W"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Cyclaire
>
>see:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/8vokn
>
>Truly innovative, gauge included, pumps to 120 psi easily, does
>schraeder and presta valves.
>
>Andrew Webster

Wow! Now that's a very neat looking pump. I wonder if they will ship
to the US?

Paul

Paul wrote:
> Thanks for all the info! After looking around a bit, it doesn't seem
> like there are as many with gauges on them as I thought there would
> be. I think I'll go with the Topeak; but first I'm measuring my
> Camelbak Blowfish to see if there will be enough room for it.
> Also, will the Road Morph work for MTB tires? As you can tell, road
> gear is new to me, as I'm just starting out road biking.

Most modern pumps, including the Morphs, will work with either Presta
or Shrader valves. The original Mountain Morph has no gauge and is a
little shorter than the Road. The Road's gauge is inline with the hose
and a bit hard to read. There's a new "Turbo Morph" that has a big
round pressure gauge.

The entire line is viewable at
http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_morph_lead.html

RichC

Check out the Crank Brothers pump - it is switchable mountain/road, and
it does have a gauge. Same size as any typical MTB pump, and very very
well made.

Per Paul:
>I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
>with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
>of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?

Devil's Advocate/Strawman suggestion:

Get one of each.

Anything that will do 120 psi is going to take you forever to pump up a fat tire
with.

OTOH, for fat tires you probably don't need a gauge - at least I don't.... just
count strokes, knowing how many it takes to get to 35 psi.

Zefal's mini DoubleShot weighs next to nothing and is about as small as a pump
can get. Does my Mutano Raptors reasonably well...
--
PeteCresswell

States in reference given:

158mm long x 64mm wide x 53mm high

Agreed not the smallest or lightest, but OP wanted a pump that "works
well
with road and mountain bikes" and with a gauge.

"Easily the heaviest" - yes, but not outrageously so. A standard
Blackburn full size frame pump is quoted as "Weight for shortest
length: 247g" so 302g is in the right area.

My experience with mini pumps is that they are a pain, taking too many
strokes to get to a decent pressure.

This one fulfils OPs requirements.

As a touring/commuting cyclist I rarely travel without some sort of bag
or panier, this pump is much easier for me to carry than a traditional
(long) pump.

Like many things, it depends on your requirements. This suggestion is
portable and could be your only pump (though I already have a track
pump at home). It won't suit everyone, but it's good to have a choice
of different types as well as different manufacturers.

Andrew Webster

Outdoors Frontier has a mini foot pump that comes in a bag that straps
on the downtubes with gauge that will do 110 psi. enough room in bag
to add additional tools and a patch kit

Ed

>Outdoors Frontier has a mini foot pump that comes in a bag that straps
>on the downtubes with gauge that will do 110 psi. enough room in bag
>to add additional tools and a patch kit

How much does it weigh?

I diddn't weigh it but most of it is ABS placstic I believe.
The 2 times I used it to inflate 700/38c tires it filled them real fast
and I didn't wear out my arms. Its easier using the foot,

Ed

Quote:
Get one of each.

Anything that will do 120 psi is going to take you forever to pump up a
fat tire
with.
EndQuote

That's what I did. I have one on each bike for just that reason. The
only thing wrong with the morph pumps is the clip that attaches them to
the frame, but since you plan on carrying on your back, it shouldn't be
a problem.

Eric

Paul wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I need a pump small enough to carry in my hydro-pack that works well
> with road and mountain bikes. I would really like one with some sort
> of gauge on it also. Any suggestions?
>
> Paul

There are many of these available:

"http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47976767.htm" $11

"http://www.giyo.com.tw/prod04.htm" The GP-21 is rebranded by various
distributors, including Bike Gear, and is often sold in the bicycle
section of hardware stores for around $18-20. I have one, and it's fine,
but I've not tried to go past 80 psi or so.
"http://store.bicyclerevolution.com/pyduacmigafr.html"
"http://penncycle.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4906"

"http://bicyclesource.us/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4326"
Serfas Measuring Stick, $25

"http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25418&lsubcat_id=1523&lcat_id=7608&referpage="
Crank Brothers Pro Mini Pump. $27.

"http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25699&srccode=1749"
Supergo® MP1 Pump $13

"http://www.trianglemountainbikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&currency=USD&products_id=234&source=Froogle"
Topeak Mini Master Blaster DX with Gauge