Choosing a pack-portable, road/trail pump

Per Eric:
>That's what I did. I have one on each bike for just that reason. The
>only thing wrong with the morph pumps is the clip that attaches them to
>the frame, but since you plan on carrying on your back

One more strawman: I carry everything needed to fix/reinflate a tire in a
little sub-saddle wedge - well, maybe not so little.... but the Zefal doubleshot
fits in there quite nicely along with an extra tube or two, patch kit, shop rag,
tire irons...and a few other non-related items.

The advantage I see to that scheme is that I don't have to remember to carry
anything or put anything in my waist pack/camelback/whatever. It's just
*there*. Incremental weight of the empty wedge can't be more than an ounce
or so.
--
PeteCresswell

Per Earl Bollinger:
>Have you every tried to actually use one of those mini pumps to actually
>pump up a tire yet?
>I have a couple in my junkbox, almost totally useless for pumping up bicycle
>tires.

Zefal DoubleShot: WTB Mutano Raptors - 200 strokes gets 'em to 35 psi.

Wouldn't even *think* of trying to inflate a road tire with it.
--
PeteCresswell

Earl Bollinger wrote:

> Have you every tried to actually use one of those mini pumps to actually
> pump up a tire yet?

Yes. I have two mini pumps with gauges. They are fine for road tires.
Pumping up a MTB tire could be a career.

Never checked the accuracy, but it's close enough, and I didn't buy them
because they had a gauge. I've had them quite a while, and I think that
most of the older mini-pumps had gauges.

In rec.bicycles.misc [email protected] wrote:
> Check out the Crank Brothers pump - it is switchable mountain/road, and
> it does have a gauge. Same size as any typical MTB pump, and very very
> well made.

I've tried the Crank Bros Alloy pump and the TopPeak Turbo Morph. The
former really doesn't allow you to get to road pressures easily (I
could only manage about 80 PSI the one time I tried it and that was
HARD), but it worked fine for lower pressure/high volume on the fatter
knobbys and slicks on my MTB.

I bought the Turbo Morph after that disappointment and it's been great
for getting my 700C23's to 120 PSI on the roadside when I get the
occational flat.

The Crank Bros is interesting in that you switch it between Presta and
Schraeder just by turning the head around, but that's of little use to
most people.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/