dannyfrankszzz said:I'm trying to decide on a new pair of cycling shoes. From my
experience, it'd be better to have a stiff pair of road cycling shoes
which would offer the best stability when riding - this is most
evident on long days in the saddle. However, from looking at them,
they appear awkward to wear and would be uncomfortable for walking
even short distances.
Depends what you mean by "uncomfortable" and "short distance". With
carbon-soled road shoes + Look cleats & covers, I don't experience
discomfort as such when popping into a garage to buy a sandwich, for
example. Just have to walk slowly in a funny way!
Quoted message said:Would I be better off going for an off road pair of cycling shoes that
appear to give the stability needed but also have that little bit of
flex for when nipping into shops etc.
Yes if you only want to buy one pair of shoes and want then to be practical
for plenty of walking. But if you want better efficiency and comfort on
longer rides, consider getting a pair of racing shoes with rigid soles - MTB
or road, depending on pedals.
If your cycling varies from local utility use some days to recreational day
rides other days, I think the best solution is to have more than one pair of
shoes, preferably more than one bike as well, with different pedal systems
as well if you like.
~PB