Choosing All Round Purpose cycling shoes?

dannyfrankszzz

Mar 8, 2003
I'm trying to decide on a new pair of cycling shoes. From my experience, it'd be better to have a stiff pair of road cycling shoes which would offer the best stability when riding - this is most evident on long days in the saddle. However, from looking at them, they appear awkward to wear and would be uncomfortable for walking even short distances.

Would I be better off going for an off road pair of cycling shoes that appear to give the stability needed but also have that little bit of flex for when nipping into shops etc.

Northwave seems to have a good selection of shoes for both off road and road.

dannyfrankszzz said:
I'm trying to decide on a new pair of cycling shoes. From my experience, it'd be better to have a stiff pair of road cycling shoes which would offer the best stability when riding - this is most evident on long days in the saddle. However, from looking at them, they appear awkward to wear and would be uncomfortable for walking even short distances.

Would I be better off going for an off road pair of cycling shoes that appear to give the stability needed but also have that little bit of flex for when nipping into shops etc.

Northwave seems to have a good selection of shoes for both off road and road.
FWIW. All of Shimano's MTB shoes have a VERY STIFF sole ... basically, Shimano's MTB shoes (both, nylon & carbon soled) have the same sole as on their comparable ROAD shoe + the addition of the rubber tread ... the cleat mount will vary based on the shoe type.

The sole on some of the Shimano "touring" shoes do have some flex.