Choosing All Round Purpose cycling shoes?

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
I'm trying to decide on a new pair of cycling shoes. From my experience, it'd be better to have a stiff pair of road cycling shoes which would offer the best stability when riding - this is most evident on long days in the saddle. However, from looking at them, they appear awkward to wear and would be uncomfortable for walking even short distances.

Would I be better off going for an off road pair of cycling shoes that appear to give the stability needed but also have that little bit of flex for when nipping into shops etc.

Northwave seems to have a good selection of shoes for both off road and road.

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> I'm trying to decide on a new pair of cycling shoes. From my
> experience, it'd be better to have a stiff pair of road cycling shoes
> which would offer the best stability when riding - this is most
> evident on long days in the saddle. However, from looking at them,
> they appear awkward to wear and would be uncomfortable for walking
> even short distances.

Depends what you mean by "uncomfortable" and "short distance". With
carbon-soled road shoes + Look cleats & covers, I don't experience
discomfort as such when popping into a garage to buy a sandwich, for
example. Just have to walk slowly in a funny way!

> Would I be better off going for an off road pair of cycling shoes that
> appear to give the stability needed but also have that little bit of
> flex for when nipping into shops etc.

Yes if you only want to buy one pair of shoes and want then to be practical
for plenty of walking. But if you want better efficiency and comfort on
longer rides, consider getting a pair of racing shoes with rigid soles - MTB
or road, depending on pedals.

If your cycling varies from local utility use some days to recreational day
rides other days, I think the best solution is to have more than one pair of
shoes, preferably more than one bike as well, with different pedal systems
as well if you like.

~PB

On Jul 5, 3:37 pm, dannyfrankszzz <dannyfrankszzz.2t9...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to decide on a new pair of cycling shoes. From my experience,
> it'd be better to have a stiff pair of road cycling shoes which would
> offer the best stability when riding - this is most evident on long
> days in the saddle. However, from looking at them, they appear awkward
> to wear and would be uncomfortable for walking even short distances.
>
> Would I be better off going for an off road pair of cycling shoes that
> appear to give the stability needed but also have that little bit of
> flex for when nipping into shops etc.

My compromise was some Shimano "touring" shoes. RT30s. Less bulky,
stiffer, and better ventilated than my previous off-road shoes, but
you can
still walk about a bit.

stephen

> My compromise was some Shimano "touring" shoes. RT30s. Less bulky,
> stiffer, and better ventilated than my previous off-road shoes, but
> you can
> still walk about a bit.

Good choice. I have a pair myself.

To commute, I actually wear MTB shoes with SPD cleats (even though I
ride a road bike) This means there is large grip which is about as
prominant as the cleat. The cleat still has contact with the ground,
but is balanced by the grip on the rest of the shoe touching the
ground too. Seems to work, I've had double punctures before and had to
walk miles home in them. Cleat suffered a bit, but my legs were fine.