Choosing between 4 bikes. Need advice.

chubakabra

Aug 19, 2006
Hello. Nice forum you've got here!

I'm an absolute newbie in the world of cycling, well at least on this level. As the fall is starting here in northern Norway there are a lot of discounts on bicycles these days and I'm planning to buy one. However I'm a little bit lost...

First of all, the market for such bicycles here are very limited. Beeing a newbie I want this first one to be bought locally so I can get the help I need later on. Next time, maybe, I can go online or order something from another city or country. I just wanted to say that so when I now ask for advice on choosing between 4 bicycles, I will get that and not a bunch of more or less good advice on getting a totally different one (I know how these forums often work ). But it still would be nice to hear about possible drawbacks on each model, and good things as well.The bottom line is; these four are the one available to me right now, locally and in my price range.

Well, the four are:

Merida Road 905: Link

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 ALU CARBON MIX ULTEGRA/105 Double: Link

Scott Speedster S30: Link

Hard Rocx Cambrium RR (in norwegian but you experts will probably recognize the info anyyway): Link

The first one are the most expensive originally, with the three others a bit less expensive. All four are now on sale for the same price. They are partially at different dealers so I find it difficult to get unbiased info on them.

I do know all about Ultegra beeing "better" than 105 beeing better than Tiagra etc, but thats about it. Hence I do not know anything about frame quality, wheelsets and so on and how to balance components giving the best over all bicycle (wich components/qualities to prioritize...).

Pros and cons on each model? Which would you choose and why? Any you absolutely not would buy?

On a more general basis I'm wondering how "obsessed" I should be about weight? These four are from 8.5 to 9.8 kilos I think, is that difference something I should be concerned about?

Regards

Olav
Tromsø, Norway

I would recommend the Bianchi based on your choices. It has more Ultegra and carbon fiber + I think they build a pretty good frame.