Choosing between two bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by *John*, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *John*

*John* Guest

I've narrowed my choice for my first mountain bike purchase (I'm a roadie) down to two bikes:

The Specialized Enduro http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03Enduro&bl=mountain&my=2003

and the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR disk
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03StumpjumperFSRDisc&bl=mounta in&my=2003

Being pretty new to mtb's, to me they appear to be fairly similar bikes with different shocks and a
    few different variances. Could some of you take the time to comment between the two?

Thanks in advance,

John

Tags:

2. John Morgan

John Morgan Guest

> Being pretty new to mtb's, to me they appear to be fairly similar bikes
    with
    > different shocks and a few different variances. Could some of you take
    the
    > time to comment between the two?

*John*, the Stumpjumper is a great trail bike that can handle rough terrain. Its 90mm of rear travel
    should be enough for most of the trails out there if you're just starting out. It weighs in at about
    29 pounds, so it's not super lightweight... but the performance of the bike should be quite nice.
    (In this case, the parts spec. sacrifices weight for high performance... when it comes to the disk
    brakes and front suspension, etc.)

The Enduro is a beefier bike that can handle quite a bit more abuse. Go with the Enduro if you want
    a go-anywhere, do-anything full suspender. It would also be a better choice if you are are a heavy
    rider. Its 100-130mm rear travel will not be as efficient pedaling as the Stumpjumper, though. It
    weighs between 30 and 31 pounds, so it isn't super light, either.

Make your choice based on what kind of riding you want to do... either bike will make a great trail
    bike though. I would go with the Stumpjumper, if it were me... I prefer the efficiency and lighter
    weight over tougher and longer travel.

If you have a bikeshop nearby, take them both for a spin and see which suits you better.

-John Morgan

3. Slacker

Slacker Guest

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Being pretty new to mtb's, to me they appear to be fairly similar bikes
    > with
    > > different shocks and a few different variances. Could some of you take
    > the
    > > time to comment between the two?
    >
    > *John*, the Stumpjumper is a great trail bike that can handle rough terrain. Its 90mm of rear
    > travel should be enough for most of the trails out there if you're just starting out. It weighs in
    > at about 29 pounds, so it's not super lightweight... but the performance of the bike should be
    > quite nice. (In this case, the parts spec. sacrifices weight for high performance... when it comes
    > to the disk brakes and front suspension, etc.)
    >
    > The Enduro is a beefier bike that can handle quite a bit more abuse. Go with the Enduro if you
    > want a go-anywhere, do-anything full suspender. It would also be a better choice if you are are a
    > heavy rider. Its 100-130mm rear travel will not be as efficient pedaling as the Stumpjumper,
    > though. It weighs between 30 and 31 pounds, so it isn't super light, either.
    >
    > Make your choice based on what kind of riding you want to do... either bike will make a great
    > trail bike though. I would go with the Stumpjumper, if it were me... I prefer the efficiency and
    > lighter weight over tougher and longer travel.
    >
    > If you have a bikeshop nearby, take them both for a spin and see which suits you better.
    >
    > -John Morgan

Dang John, did you get laid-off @ SuperGo ;^ ) That was actually some sound advice.
    --
    Slacker

4. John Morgan

John Morgan Guest

> Dang John, did you get laid-off @ SuperGo ;^ ) That was actually some
    sound advice.
    > --
    > Slacker

LOL-- well where do you think I learned it? Not here, certainly!

-John Morgan

5. John G

John G Guest

Given the chooice, I'd go w/ the Enduro's fork on the StumpJumper frame, and replace the brakes w/
    Avid mechanical's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.