Choosing new tyres

night_fusion17

Jul 28, 2009
Hello. I want to replace the knobbly 26x1.95 tyres on my mountain bike with slicks as I do not take it off road and only use it on the road.

I understand that the narrower the tyre, generally the faster you will go. I've found two tyres that I would like, but I don't know which one to choose. They are Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.5 or Kenda Sport Semi Slick 26 x 1.25.

Thanks,
Matt.

Continental Sportcontact 26 x 1.6"... 65 Psi Max. No punctures, light and fast. I love em!

I'll also agree that the Continental Sport Contact is a fine tire. I got over 5000 miles from a pair, and they're fast and sure-footed. I didn't have as good luck as the other gentleman on punctures, though. I had approximately 2 dozen punctures on them over their lifespan, but everyone's commute is different. I encounter a lot of glass. So far, no punctures on the Kojaks, but I rarely use that bike for commuting, so it's not a fair comparison. I think either of these tires would be a good choice.

As with many things, tires are a compromise. It's hard to find "fast", "light-weight", "comfortable", "long wearing", "good grip", "low rolling-resistence", "bullet-proof", and "CHEAP" all in one selection. You have to prioritize.

Sorry I took so long to reply, I've had problems with my connection.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to keep looking for now, so many choices, and don't really want to rush this decision as I'm on a limited budget. I'm definitely going to look at the Continental sport contact tyres though.

night_fusion17 said:
Sorry I took so long to reply, I've had problems with my connection.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to keep looking for now, so many choices, and don't really want to rush this decision as I'm on a limited budget. I'm definitely going to look at the Continental sport contact tyres though.

I have a pair of foldable Contenental Grand Prix tires I would sell for $30 including shipping. I mounted them for one road ride and have never used them since. They fit your criteria of being fast, but realize this is just like a road tire. 120 psi and very small. Bike will not look or ride like a MTB with these installed.

salsa_usa said:
I have a pair of foldable Contenental Grand Prix tires I would sell for $30 including shipping. I mounted them for one road ride and have never used them since. They fit your criteria of being fast, but realize this is just like a road tire. 120 psi and very small. Bike will not look or ride like a MTB with these installed.

Thanks, I might take you up on that. I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure how much postage will be on them. What size are the tyres, so I know if they will fit properly.

As I said before, I only use it on tarmac and never take it off road. My plan for the bike is to take it to university with me in September to save walking the 2-3 miles each way, and for the occasional bike ride along the bike path, so the tyres don't need to be that fast, but that'll be nice.

Thanks.