Choosing the right bike advice wanted

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Since a Brompton is deliberately set up to have a more upright riding position (in addition to
> having small wheels), actually it's remarkably similar. Fact is, you *do* get laughed at a lot
> on a Brompton by kids you pass. Can't think of any reason other than Bromptons not looking
> "cool", [...]

Perhaps it's you Peter ;-)

Colin

Chris wrote:

> Pete thanks for that. Wow that is one functional looking assembly of bike parts! I seem to recall
> that the design form was banned from racing sometime in the 1930's due to its efficiency!

Yup, after Faure bagged the Hour record on a Mochet Velocar. Outside of the UCI, the International
Human Power Vehicle Association (and its affiliates) run races for bikes where the idea is to go as
fast as possible, as opposed to as fast as possible inside baroque restrictions for construction.
The IHPVA Hour record is about 30% better than the UCI one. Best undrafted flying 200m is 81 mph,
set last year.

But mine isn't especially fast: it uses that setup because it's better for comfort and, in the
particular case of the Streetmachine, better for carrying loads compared to traditional tourers
(OTOH it's heavier and more unwieldy to carry, transport and store and doesn't do offroad as well,
and prices start high and get higher).

> I do think it must have a lot of street cred though lol

It varies. On the whole, reaction is very positive with a lot of "cool bike!" and "wow!" and "I want
a bike like that!" accompanying amazed expressions, but there are some kids that just laugh at you.
You need to be something of an exhibitionist to ride a recumbent: you *will* get noticed and
commented on, practically every ride. Quizzed at considerable length quite often too.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Perhaps it's you Peter ;-)

I had considered that as the most likely option, but I don't get the same thing on the MTB or my old
upright tourer...

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it's you Peter ;-)
>

> I had considered that as the most likely option, but I don't get the same thing on the MTB or my
> old upright tourer...

I have had the occasional giggle from the girls at Durham School but not much more than that. I
regularly pass a group of young lads on BMX bikes wrecking paving and they just tend to stare as I
whizz past them up the hill. I think its because they could never move that quickly up hill without
their knees hitting their head.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Peter Clinch wrote:
> >
> > Since a Brompton is deliberately set up to have a more upright riding position (in addition to
> > having small wheels), actually it's remarkably similar. Fact is, you *do* get laughed at a lot
> > on a Brompton by kids you pass. Can't think of any reason other than Bromptons not looking
> > "cool", [...]
>
> Perhaps it's you Peter ;-)

I now have very few problems from the local kids. They used to laugh a *lot* at the brommie but as
they have now become accustomed to me on any number of machines - trice, tandem, tandem trike, Bike
Friday, audax, bike with cargo trailer or trailer bike, TCR (not mine tho'), kids mtb, etc they have
now pretty well given up. It's now 'boring' I suppose.

The answer? - you need loads and loads more bikes.

John B

John B wrote:

> The answer? - you need loads and loads more bikes.

I'm convinced! Wonder what the bank manager says...

Since I'm now carless again I am thinking of a more serious load machine. Most likely just get a BOB
but a Burrows 8 Freight is really quite appealing as the Ultimate Shopping Bike...