Choosing the Right Bike

alpha1phi

Jun 12, 2007
I've recently gotten back into biking...and am looking at buying a new bike. I would like to buy something that I can use to mountain bike - but also ride gravel or cement trails (since there seem to be more of those around). Is there a certain style bike that could be used for both...? I am willing to buy different wheels if necessary. What are your thoughts on Womens bikes? Brands that you would suggest? Thanks! :)

Yeah you can get a hybrid bike.
Its like a roadbike/mountain bike. Has smaller tyres than a mountain bike but larger than a road bike (less knobbs than mountain also). It has a flat bar handlebars normally too.
There are heaps of styles and shapes. Have an ask about at bikeshops .

alpha1phi said:
I've recently gotten back into biking...and am looking at buying a new bike. I would like to buy something that I can use to mountain bike - but also ride gravel or cement trails (since there seem to be more of those around). Is there a certain style bike that could be used for both...? I am willing to buy different wheels if necessary. What are your thoughts on Womens bikes? Brands that you would suggest? Thanks! :)

alpha1phi said:
I would like to buy something that I can use to mountain bike - but also ride gravel or cement trails (since there seem to be more of those around). Is there a certain style bike that could be used for both...? I am willing to buy different wheels if necessary. What are your thoughts on Womens bikes? Brands that you would suggest? Thanks! :)
Do you specifically need a women's bike? I haven't had any problems with fit on men's bikes, particularly not with mountain bikes.

I ride a men's medium Giant Sedona LX. There is a women's model as well, but it doesn't come in my size in the LX. It's a hybrid mountain bike with a seating postion that I have been told is called 'sit up and beg'. I use it for mountain bike orienteering and as my commuting bike for work.

It's not tough enough for downhill, but fine for bikepaths, gravel, limestone and single trail. When I was buying it, I told my LBS that I wanted to ride the Munda Biddi Trail, and this was the bike they recommended. It suits me very well indeed.

Since you would be more comfortable and capable mountain biking on a true mountain bike, I would get a MTB that has lockout shocks.

You can lock the shocks on pavement and be more efficient.
BTW...
Most MTB's have better seat tube angles (73°). This gets your hips and thighs ( a woman's strong point) behind the bottom bracket. Being back lets your get your foot behind the pedal to push forward. This lets you use your thighs to push forward on the pedals, using the seat as your anchor. And pull the pedals toward you, again using the saddle as your anchor. Way more efficient. Instead of trying to use your upper body, to push down on the pedals.

Invision sitting on the leg press at the gym. The back of the seat is your anchor to push from, without it you would have to use your arms. The saddle is that anchor to push from.

This is why a lot of women feel stronger on a MTB over a road bike. (the seat tube angle).

All WSD means to most manufacturers is a shorter top tube. So called compact frames don't get you behind the BB! Check out the geometry! It does make a difference!

If you get a road bike get one with a 73° to 73.5° seat tube. Orbea, Lemand, Cervelo.

Cheers!