Choosing the right chain!

argon18rider

Oct 7, 2012
Hi there,

Have been riding for a couple of years and have only just started getting into my own bike care and maintenance.

Having just discovered how important checking chain length is discovering this is most likely a problem on all my households bikes I'm needing to replace them all.

Jumping on wiggle I've pretty quickly realised how many types there are.

The information that I can gather from the chains I have are as follows:

Shimano HG 5600 (Argon18 road bike)

PYC Narrow 50 (Cell Hybrid)

CN UG 80 RF (Old mountain bike)

SRAM PC 1051 (Merida road bike)

Shimano HG Narrow GR (Old Cannondale road bike)

Are any of these similar chains or do I need to buy 5 different types. Any other ways to identify what I need to buy? Basically looking for any help you can give me on selecting the right chains.

Thanks

It seems that the

Shimano 105 5600 10-Speed Chain would suit the Argon18?

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]SRAM PC1051 10 Speed Chain with PowerLock for the Merida[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]And from what I can find would the Shimano chain suite the other bikes?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Just really not sure about the old mountain bike?[/COLOR]

You can use the Shimano 10spd chain for the Argon and the Merida. The Shimano chain is a better chain than the SRAM chain.

Originally Posted by alienator .

You can use the Shimano 10spd chain for the Argon and the Merida. The Shimano chain is a better chain than the SRAM chain.
Thanks,

From what I've been reading basically speed classification is the only real indicator of what chain fits? Other than that it just comes down to personal choice of brands..

argon18rider said:
Thanks, From what I've been reading basically speed classification is the only real indicator of what chain fits?  Other than that it just comes down to personal choice of brands..
That's pretty much it.

The Shimano is better? In your words, "Prove it"

A qualification : The some say the Shimano shifts slightly better but the SRAM lasts longer. I've worked in shops that only stocked a few Shimano chains for the few customers who wanted them and sold SRAM to vast majority. The shop that pushed sram "hardest" loved Shimano "everything else"

Pat Stowe said:
The Shimano is better?  In your words, "Prove it"
I don't have to: it's just my opinion. It has however interesting that quite a few teams running SRAM chains have instead switched to Shimano chains because of issues with SRAM chains.

I don't have to: it's just my opinion.
It has however interesting that quite a few teams running SRAM chains have instead switched to Shimano chains because of issues with SRAM chains.
When? Not at the '09 Tour of California. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/california09/tech.php?id=/tech/2009/features/toc_new_gears_09

"...However, that seems to have changed for the 2009 season as there were virtually no mismatched drivetrains to be found (and believe us, we looked)."

Perhaps 2008?

Originally Posted by Pat Stowe .

The Shimano is better? In your words, "Prove it"

A qualification : The some say the Shimano shifts slightly better but the SRAM lasts longer. I've worked in shops that only stocked a few Shimano chains for the few customers who wanted them and sold SRAM to vast majority. The shop that pushed sram "hardest" loved Shimano "everything else"
I picked Sram 9 speed chain for my new frame back in 2003 because of the Powerlink; no need to buy or fiddle with a chain tool. Used several of them with good results until a new chain failed on me.....had a defective roller which just "popped off" on my first ride. After that, I switched to Shimano HG-93. Since then, I've stayed with the HG-93. Using the connection pin isn't a problem for me, since I never remove the chain until it's worn out, usually 4-6K miles.

But hey, like tires or anything else, use what you like. Would be pretty boring if we all rode the same equipment. A very experienced buddy of mine likes KMC chains, says they are best quality for the money. I put a KMC track chain on my fixed-gear bike, worked perfectly for $9 from the LBS. But have never tried their higher $ road chains.

qdc15 said:
When? Not at the '09 Tour of California. http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/california09/tech.php?id=/tech/2009/features/toc_new_gears_09 "...However, that seems to have changed for the 2009 season as there were virtually no mismatched drivetrains to be found (and believe us, we looked)." Perhaps 2008?
After Cancellara broke his SRAM chain in the '09 Tour of Flandars, Saxo Bank completely switched groups from SRAM to Shimano: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/archive/tech/322466/cancellara-derailed-by-broken-chain.html Before they died, Saunier Duval used Shimano chains on their SRAM kitted bikes. Astana had Shimano chains on SRAM kitted bikes (pic of Shimano chain on Amstrong's bike):
Since those are all from a few years past and may be the result of bias of some sort on the teams, here's an objective test from 2011 (Tour Magazine, Germany) that shows how poorly SRAM chains wear compared to others:

Don't overlook KMC chains. When I was running Dura Ace 7800 I swapped out from a DA chain to a KMC X10. It was not only lighter but imo seemed to run smoother. They also now make an 11spd for Campy.

I've never measured a chain - a new one each season may be overkill for my modest 4000 mile yearly average but seems to do the trick. Some of those are race miles, I love to cross chain, and I ride in the rain. Edit: However I'm not sure if that is a fiscally sound policy for 5 bikes - you may be well served to measure.

danfoz said:
Don't overlook KMC chains. When I was running Dura Ace 7800 I swapped out from a DA chain to a KMC X10. It was not only lighter but imo seemed to run smoother. They also now make an 11spd for Campy. I've never measured a chain - a new one each season may be overkill for my modest 4000 mile yearly average but seems to do the trick. Some of those are race miles, I love to cross chain, and I ride in the rain.  Edit: However I'm not sure if that is a fiscally sound policy for 5 bikes - you may be well served to measure.
Yup. As it happens KMC makes Shimano's chains.

After Cancellara broke his SRAM chain in the '09 Tour of Flandars, Saxo Bank completely switched groups from SRAM to Shimano:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/archive/tech/322466/cancellara-derailed-by-broken-chain.html
Before they died, Saunier Duval used Shimano chains on their SRAM kitted bikes.
Astana had Shimano chains on SRAM kitted bikes (pic of Shimano chain on Amstrong's bike)...
The link you provide is about Saxo Bank switching from Shimano to Sram, not the other way 'round;
"Saxo Bank’s decision to change groupset supplier mid-way through the Classics season is certainly an unusual one."

Saxo Bank, Astana and Fuji-Servetto (formerly Saunier Duval) all currently using Sram.

qdc15 said:
The link you provide is about Saxo Bank switching from Shimano to Sram, not the other way 'round; "Saxo Bank’s decision to change groupset supplier mid-way through the Classics season is certainly an unusual one." Saxo Bank, Astana and Fuji-Servetto (formerly Saunier Duval) all currently using Sram.
At the time the first thing they did was change chains from SRAM to Shimano. The one thing that SRAM chains have over the others is that they are comparatively cheap, as in inexpensive.

At the time the first thing they did was change chains from SRAM to Shimano.
And then they changed back in 2009. I suspect a mechanic didn't fasten the quick link correctly on Fab's chain. We all make mistakes especially when working with something new. If there were problems with Sram chains breaking in 2008, they were corrected by 2009, three years ago.

Early ten speed chains were prone to breakage including Shimano's.

KMC manufactures chains for both shimaNO and SRAM. SRAM also uses a company in Portugal to manufacture some of their chains (Euro market, as a guess).

Campy now manufactures chains in-house. Rohloff of Germany used to manufacture chains for Campagnolo...I have no idea when they pulled production inside. Campy used to recommend Regina chains and freewheels back in the day and were careful not to step on Regina's turf.

Color me UNsurprised that half those chains were dead in a lab test at 1740 miles. Bring them to Ohio and we'll kill them ALL in 2000 miles.

Running hollow rivets and slotted/drilled plates may look cools as hell and save another 5 grams, but there's no way I'ld want to climb or short, steep 'stall walls' on them. God bless the Campy God of perfectly set splice rivets! Amen!

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

And then they changed back in 2009. I suspect a mechanic didn't fasten the quick link correctly on Fab's chain. We all make mistakes especially when working with something new. If there were problems with Sram chains breaking in 2008, they were corrected by 2009, three years ago.

Early ten speed chains were prone to breakage including Shimano's.
10s PowerLock links were defective (plate cracks) in the 2008/2009 timeframe and involved in a CPSC recall. Failure rate was 2.5/1000. SRAM replaced them free through LBSs - just had to know about it and ask.

Reactions: qdc15
I forgot about that locking link failure, sitzmark. Those were the ones manufactured in Portugal.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09342.html

NEWS from CPSC U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 8, 2009
Release # 09-342 Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 346-2928
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908 Bicycle Chains and Chain Connector Links Recalled by SRAM Due to Fall Hazard WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: 10 Speed SRAM Bicycle Chains with PowerLock connector links
Units: About 24,000
Manufacturer: SRAM LLC, of Chicago, Ill.

Hazard: The recalled PowerLock connector links, used on bicycle chains, are brittle and can crack, allowing the chain to separate from the bicycle and posing a fall hazard to the rider.

Incidents/Injuries: One incident has been reported in the United States and three outside. No injuries have been reported.
Description: The recall involves SRAM PowerLock connector links, which are sold individually, on 10-speed bicycle chains and as original equipment on some bicycles. The recalled PowerLock connector links are [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]identified by a date code of M or N[/COLOR], which is located on the side of the PowerLock connector link. 10-speed SRAM chains that were equipped with recalled PowerLock connector links include the following chain model numbers: PC-1030, PC-1050, PC-1070, PC-1090 and PC-1090R. The recalled chains were also installed on some Guru, Surly, Salsa, BMC, Serotta, Seven, and Ridley brand complete bicycles. The individual PowerLock connectors and bike chains with these connectors were sold from January 2009 through August 2009; bicycles with affected chains were sold from April 2009 through August 2009.

Sold at: Specialty bicycle retailer stores nationwide from January 2009 through August 2009. PowerLock connector links were sold separately for about $5 or as part of 10-speed chains for between $35 and $85.
Manufactured in: Portugal

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled PowerLock connectors, chains and bicycles with these connectors and contact their SRAM retailer for a free replacement PowerLock connector link.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact SRAM at (800) 346-2928 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday CT or visit the firm's Web site at www.sram.com

Check your SRAM chains, if you think you still have an older one on your bike. A chain that breaks unexpectedly is not only a fall hazard, it can cause loss of control that can get a rider killed in traffic.

I don't remember shimaNO having any chains recalled, but they did have the CSPC recall cranksets, handlebar stems and handlebars (Pro Vibe, imported by shimaNO this fall).

kitofasteners.com is specialize in producing the complete range of equipment for right chain. The level of quality of the kitofasteners is best. kitofasteners believed in producing and supplying the high quality products. The largest industrial fasteners manufactures in India.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

10s PowerLock links were defective (plate cracks) in the 2008/2009 timeframe and involved in a CPSC recall. Failure rate was 2.5/1000. SRAM replaced them free through LBSs - just had to know about it and ask.
Yeah, I didn't know what I was talking about and too proud to say "I'm wrong." Sorry.

Most of my bikes have eight speed cassttes, I have no experience with race level components. I like the Sram eight speed chains and cassttes. The chromed ones, they're shiny. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif