Choosing Tires

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gm0bbq, Jul 30, 2012.

1. gm0bbq

gm0bbq New Member

Hi everyone,

So, I have a 2011 Cannondale CAAD8 105 ( http://www.infinitecycles.com/bikes/road-bikes-2011/caad8-s-201/ ). Don't get my wrong, I love my bike.. but I've been riding around the streets of LA and in the last 6 months, I've gotten 3 flats using the Schwalbe Lugano tires that came with it.

I'm in the market to buy some new tires, but I'm a little torn on what to get. I'm basically just looking for something that'll offer a little more protection, but won't dramatically compromise how smooth my bike rides. I don't mind paying extra to have it ride smooth. I've been recommended the Gatorskins and Race Lites, but I'm having trouble picking which one to get. Right now, I'm choosing between these:

http://bontrager.com/model/06999/

http://bontrager.com/model/09127

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/race/racetyres/gatorskin/gatorskin_en.html

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Bryan

Tags:

2. el gato

el gato New Member

Only 3 flats in six months? I wish I could say that. I've never had a tire that wouldn't flat from various sharp objects or slash wide open from broken glass. That said, the Gatorskins seem to have a good rep. I'd put my money on those.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I'd skip the Bontragers, and if Continental is going to be your chosen brand, then I'd seriously consider the Grand Prix 4-Season tires. They'll ride better than the Gatorskins and should be more durable than GP4000 tires. They should have plenty of flat protection. Also worth considering are Michelin Krylions (though no longer made, a lot of places are still selling them) and Maxxis Re-Fuse tires. FWIW, how big are you? What size tires do you use? What inflation pressures do you use?

4. gm0bbq

gm0bbq New Member

Thanks el gato.

alienator-- I was thinking about those because the guy at the shop recommended the Grand Prix 4000 s. If they ride as smooth as the ones I have now with some protection, I don't mind paying extra. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.

I'm about 5'8, 145 pounds. I ride a 51cm CAAD8 (short legs, long torso = ), 700x23c wheels with just a notch over 100psi on each tire. Please tell me I haven't been doing something wrong, cause personally I like the way it rides.. haha.

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Despite being designed as a flat out racing tire, I've experience great puncture and cut resistance from Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comp tires. Rears do wear rather quickly, but I sure can't complain about how they deal with crap on the roads.

Three punctures/cuts in six months isn't really too bad of a track record in general though and IMO is better than normal for racing/training tires in a large metro area.

Our team tire sponsor is Kenda. I've not used them (take it for what it cost you), but the guys have good things to say about the Kountach: http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicycle/road/kountach.aspx

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

How many miles have you put on the tires in those 6 months?

7. gm0bbq

gm0bbq New Member

Thanks CAMPYBOB. I'll take a look.

alienator-- Thinking about it a little more, it's probably more like 9 months. And in 9 months, I want to say 1000 - 1500 miles-- I'm not that hardcore of a biker yet. =P

8. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

+1. And if you want to go the extra step in flat protection AND ride quality get yourself a pair of Vittoria latex inner tubes. As latex bleeds air faster than butyl, you will have to pump up before every ride, but the difference is there and noticeable: more puncture resistant, lower rolling resitance, better ride quality, less weight (weight weenies can take solace in loosing almost an ounce on each wheel), and panache. There is no price that can be put on panache*. The most expensive clincher on the market (?), but in this case you get what you pay for.

* technically there is no price that can put on panache, but in this instance the added panache will set you back a twenty spot on each wheel.

9. doctorold

doctorold Member

FWIW....I put 4800 miles on Bontragers with no flats. I currently have over 4500 miles on Vittoria Rubino Slicks with no flats. Is it the tires or me? Maybe a little of both.

10. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Is it the tires or me?

It's you!

I know guys that ride brain dead and blind. They never 'see' that pothole or broken bottle glass on the road or the pile of small limestone rocks at the end on a driveway...Next thing, you're standing on the roadside waiting for them to change a tube/tire.

Then, there's idiots like me...jumping RR tracks and bunny hopping curbs and doing 30 in a pack so dense you couldn't see a BMW 535i twenty yards in front until the seas parted.

I am impressed with the overall construction quality of the modern wired-on tires. Vredestein...Michelin...Kenda...Vittoria...Continental...literally, it's just pick one you get lucky with.

Any tire can get cut to junk in under 50 miles and that same tire might live 2500 trouble-free miles under the next guy.

Oh, and for riding on the urban battlefields, tire savers are still a good option IMO: http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedplaypedals/5334656872/

11. gm0bbq

gm0bbq New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I went with the 4000s.

Though, I am gonna check out the Latex Tubes. I ordered a set to see how I like 'em. =]

Happy riding everyone!

12. dcrghujuikhjd

dcrghujuikhjd New Member

Only 3 flats in six months? I wish I could say that. I've never had a tire that wouldn't flat from various sharp objects or slash wide open from broken glass. That said, the Gatorskins seem to have a good rep. I'd put my money on those.

13. Dave Pace

Dave Pace Member

What about putting in Mr Tuffy tire liners?