Chorus BB Question..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kb, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Kb

    Kb Guest

    How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be serviced, or are they sealed units
    like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference between the chorus and record
    bb's, other than a piece of carbon?

    Thanks!!

    Tags:

  2. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be
    serviced,
    > or are they sealed units like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference
    > between the chorus and record bb's, other than a
    piece
    > of carbon?

    You buy sealed bearings (~AU$35) from a bearing shop when it starts making dreadful noises. Mark Lee

  3. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be
    serviced,
    > or are they sealed units like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference
    > between the chorus and record bb's, other than a
    piece
    > of carbon?

    I have a Record bb, which I've overhauled. It's not a simple procedure. The large (left side)
    bearing slides off relatively easily with a few taps after removing the retaining ring, but the
    smaller bearings on the right side take more persuasion (a bearing press) to remove.

    The bearings are standard SKF cartridge bearings, and are quite cheap to replace once you've removed
    them. I've pulled mine apart twice in two and a half years. First time I replaced the bearings,
    second time I just cleaned it (with the right side bearings in place) in an ultrasonic tank, then
    regreased it and put it back together. On reflection, a thorough clean was probably all it needed
    the first time around, too.

    Of course longevity depends on lots of things, such as how much you ride in the rain etc.

    The Record bb differs from the Chorus in using an oversize lightened axle, and a carbon cover,
    neither of which contribute to longevity, and only minimally to weight. Next time I buy one, I'll
    buy Chorus.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --
    ---
    Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

  4. KB-<< How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced?

    Not very often, long lasting, sealed bearings, not really servicable-Make sure the frameset is
    prepped tho-BB faced.

    << Also, any difference between the chorus and record bb's, other than a piece of carbon?

    The Record BB uses a oversized, thin walled spindle which is lighter and the Chorus is a thicker
    walled, heavier spindle. The 'carbon' is just a crud guard, aluminum on Chorus.

  5. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    KB wrote:
    > How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be serviced, or are they sealed
    > units like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference between the chorus and
    > record bb's, other than a piece of carbon?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    My Record BB died after 14,000k. For about 20 dollars more(US)I went for the Phil Wood BB. I
    couldn't recommend it highly enough. It makes Campy BBs look like junk. I like just about everything
    Campy, but their BB and their chain (another long story) suck.

    Kenny Lee