Chorus BB Question..

Kb

Guest
How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be serviced, or are they sealed units
like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference between the chorus and record
bb's, other than a piece of carbon?

Thanks!!

"KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be
serviced,
> or are they sealed units like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference
> between the chorus and record bb's, other than a
piece
> of carbon?

You buy sealed bearings (~AU$35) from a bearing shop when it starts making dreadful noises. Mark Lee

"KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be
serviced,
> or are they sealed units like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference
> between the chorus and record bb's, other than a
piece
> of carbon?

I have a Record bb, which I've overhauled. It's not a simple procedure. The large (left side)
bearing slides off relatively easily with a few taps after removing the retaining ring, but the
smaller bearings on the right side take more persuasion (a bearing press) to remove.

The bearings are standard SKF cartridge bearings, and are quite cheap to replace once you've removed
them. I've pulled mine apart twice in two and a half years. First time I replaced the bearings,
second time I just cleaned it (with the right side bearings in place) in an ultrasonic tank, then
regreased it and put it back together. On reflection, a thorough clean was probably all it needed
the first time around, too.

Of course longevity depends on lots of things, such as how much you ride in the rain etc.

The Record bb differs from the Chorus in using an oversize lightened axle, and a carbon cover,
neither of which contribute to longevity, and only minimally to weight. Next time I buy one, I'll
buy Chorus.

Regards,

Suzy

--
---
Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

KB-<< How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced?

Not very often, long lasting, sealed bearings, not really servicable-Make sure the frameset is
prepped tho-BB faced.

<< Also, any difference between the chorus and record bb's, other than a piece of carbon?

The Record BB uses a oversized, thin walled spindle which is lighter and the Chorus is a thicker
walled, heavier spindle. The 'carbon' is just a crud guard, aluminum on Chorus.

KB wrote:
> How often do the new Chorus BB's need to be replaced? Can they be serviced, or are they sealed
> units like Ultegra that you just toss after a while? Also, any difference between the chorus and
> record bb's, other than a piece of carbon?
>
> Thanks!!

My Record BB died after 14,000k. For about 20 dollars more(US)I went for the Phil Wood BB. I
couldn't recommend it highly enough. It makes Campy BBs look like junk. I like just about everything
Campy, but their BB and their chain (another long story) suck.

Kenny Lee