Chorus or Centaur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wm, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. [email protected] (Gene) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Antti-<< Centaur has a cheap bottom bracket which supposedly isn't as durable as the Chorus
    > > bottom bracket. >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > 'Supposedly' is right, more misinformation about Campagnolo. We install dozens and do not have a
    > > problem with these(AC-H) BBs.....
    > >

    > The Chorus BB is not so durable in the first place. Mine failed at three years ( ~5000 miles ).
    > Campy BB's do not have such a good reputation. As noted in an old(-er) posting (different thread),
    > for a few $$ more a Phil Wood is a great option.

    But I've been using the same Chorus bottom bracket since 1998. Somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000
    total miles on it. And its still working. The Chorus bottom bracket sells for about $45. A fairly
    good value. Not sure why someone would feel the need to spend $100 to $150 for a Phil Wood bottom
    bracket, the cups, and installation tool.

  2. dougvidak

    dougvidak New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2003
    I really can't tell you the difference regarding quality, but when I was shopping around, I found a chorus/campy value at gvhbikes. I looked hard for best value, and was looking for Veloce, but this seemed the very best value. You might want to check it out. Good luck.

  3. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    [email protected] (Gene) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Antti-<< Centaur has a cheap bottom bracket which supposedly isn't as durable as the Chorus
    > > bottom bracket. >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > 'Supposedly' is right, more misinformation about Campagnolo. We install dozens and do not have a
    > > problem with these(AC-H) BBs.....
    > >

    > The Chorus BB is not so durable in the first place. Mine failed at three years ( ~5000 miles ).
    > Campy BB's do not have such a good reputation. As noted in an old(-er) posting (different thread),
    > for a few $$ more a Phil Wood is a great option.

    For a few dollars more?! Try three times the cost. I have gotten 12,000 miles so far out of my
    Chorus BB and it shows no sign of quitting. So if I get only 15,000 miles out of this BB, and more
    likely 20,000, and replace the sealed bearings *only* when it is time, I can probably get 50 -
    75,000 miles out of it before it craps out for some other reason for less than half the cost of a
    Phil. Not knocking the Phil,I'm sure they're great, but they sure are spendy.

    I will comment negatively, however, on the Campy Chorus HS. Poorly sealed at best, and as such,
    needs frequent re-packing (read 2-3 times per season + every time I get caught in the rain). When
    set up properly and with fresh grease, it's great. Problem is those conditions exist for about 10%
    of my riding.

    App

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Appkiller <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I will comment negatively, however, on the Campy Chorus HS. Poorly sealed at best, and as such,
    >needs frequent re-packing (read 2-3 times per season + every time I get caught in the rain). When
    >set up properly and with fresh grease, it's great. Problem is those conditions exist for about 10%
    >of my riding.

    Use a boot.

  5. O. Simonsen

    O. Simonsen Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Antti-<< Centaur has a cheap bottom bracket which supposedly isn't as durable as the Chorus bottom
    > bracket. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > 'Supposedly' is right, more misinformation about Campagnolo. We install dozens and do not have a
    > problem with these(AC-H) BBs.....

    I had one that suddenly "gave up". It was a Daytona from fall '99, so it must have been one of the
    first produced. It lasted 2 winters of use (not abuse!)before it had to be replaced.