chorus or dura ace

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dorian, Jul 18, 2003.

1. dorian

dorian New Member

I'm picking up a frame that has downtube mounts for the shifter cables. I've heard Shimano may be better as far less cable rub on the head tube, but Campy gives more bang for the buck.

Either way I figure I'll use carbon fiber patches on the headtube, so would the different cable routing even matter?

I've got to pick a groupo and wonder if there's really much difference between chorus and dura ace.

Thanks for any input.

Dorian

Tags:

2. sal61

sal61 New Member

Dorian,
    Never riden Shimano so I'm no help there, but I have had an 8 sp Chorus group on my bike since '95 and can't speak highly enough about the group. Well it is time to upgrade and I also considered DA and Chorus. Went with the Chorus. The group will be here Monday. 10 sp was the deciding factor.
    Steve

3. dirtrider

dirtrider New Member

I found the Campy thumb shifters to be awkward. When riding with my hands on the hoods, my thumbs just couldn't seem to operate them without strain. I had to shift my weight off the arm that I was trying to shift with in order to get my thumb up on top of the lever. Very annoying. I presume that most people don't have that problem or are willing to put up with it, but you might want to try 'em first to make sure they're comfortable for you.

4. ajo

ajo New Member

I used Shimano (Ultegra) for 5 years, but just recently changed to Chorus. Oposite to "dirtrider" I really prefer the Chorus gear shifter, works much better than Shimano, more precise, easier to get the right handle - no problem with the thumb lever. Go for Campy!

5. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

Dura-ace is top-of-the-line stuff. Shift lever preferences are personal, but the Dura-Ace is a little lighter, the cranks are stiffer, the brakes are better and IMHO the shifting is smoother. You might want to wait for the new 10-sp Dura-Ace too - its even lighter as well.

6. BugMan

BugMan New Member

That was also my experience. I tried them both out when I got my first bike, so I was not 'used' to either system. STI was instantly comfortable, but the Campy thumb lever was awkward in the drops and impossible on the hoods - made my decision easy. Since it's a personal thing, I suggest you try them both out and then decide based on that alone - differences in weight and technical specifications are minor compared to whether it feels comfortable or not.

7. patch70

patch70 New Member

As above, go for whatever you find more comfortable. I like Chorus and will continue to use Campy as I am used to it now.

8. xavier

xavier New Member

Personal preferences apart.

If you want it to last many years and not replace items a few times a year - buy Campagnolo. Parts are made to last many years.

9. Topmounter

Topmounter New Member

Whether these things remain true today I am not completely sure, but I still tend to prefer new Dura-ace over new Record/Chorus for my day to day riding.

- Dura-Ace is easier for me to work on, more consistent design across MTB and Road lines, fewer "unique" tools
    - Dura-Ace has traditionally been less expensive to replace and easier to find good deals on parts for
    - Dura-Ace design seems more straight-forward and not so overwrought to me, which I like for everyday riding
    - Dura-Ace weight compares favorably to Record

Nonetheless, Campy stuff is beautiful and should retain its valuable better than Dura-Ace

Both are great, I would say make your decision based upon your preference to the look and feel of each.

10. ajo

ajo New Member

Dura-Ace is usually more expensive to replace&repair: Campy sell every single nut and bolt as replacement part - but when something fails on Shimano you have to buy the entire component. (A damaged spring in the STI level = a complete set $$$ handles instead of a $ spring.)
    Straight-forward design: I don't agree - but if you're used to MTB-equipment....
    Record is lighter than DuraAce (But it depends of which component, some DuraAce components are lighter, some Record components are lighter). Depending on which combination of products used (including/excluding hubs, seatpost etc). If we are talking about brakes, deralliurs, shifters and crank/chain/cogs, Record is a bit lighter. (Might be changed with DuraAce 10, but probably changed back to Campy favour when introducing Record 2004). The differense is anyway/using any combination less than 100 g on a complete bike anyway.

Two additional Campy features:
    - The front shifter is easier to get in middle position, avoiding rubbing when using big ring/big cog and small ring/small cog.
    - When opening the brake release mecanism (separating the pads to be able to shift wheels and avoid rubbing when a wheel has become untrue during the ride) - you still has 100% braking power.

You should also consider Chorus = 100 Record functionallity, cheaper and only a bit heavier. (A mix using Chorus but Record BB, levels and cogs gives equal weight to DuraAce)

But I totally agree with your conclusion:
    Both are great, I would say make your decision based upon your preference to the look and feel of each.

11. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I have had a devil of a time getting my Chorus 10sp shifting adjusted. Likely it's because 1) I'm inexperienced and not good at it and 2) neither are any of the LBS around here.

Shimano is EVERYWHERE here in Nor Cal. Campy is rare and seems to need a few special tools (i.e., for the chain) that aren't exactly laying around in my toolbox.

The two sets really differ only (in terms of feel) in shifting. I say Shimano shifts smoother and quieter. Some would say that means better. I like the method of shifting better on the Campy (i.e., the levers). And I couldn't stomach putting non-Italian parts on my Colnago...

12. dorian

dorian New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to go with dura ace. This is my first sweet road bike. Maybe one day I'll become a campy convert.

13. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Dorian -- hopefully you don't. That would mean you wasted money on D/A... ;-)

14. tafi

tafi Member

AJO is a very intelligent fella. I would also like to lend my two bob's worth. Campag is worth it from the servicability point of view (ask any engineer bike rider) and its ergonomics are also better than Shimano in my opinion.
    A couple of people have complained about the thumb shifter. Lets put that into perspective. Most people spend 80% of their ride on the hoods. Campag hoods are more comfortable than Shimano. How long does a gear shift take? About 0.5~1second. You would have to be a bad cyclist to spend as much as 1% of your ride time shifting gears.
    the choice is academic.

15. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Any complaints about the thumb shifter are probably just familiarity - I've been riding a Chorus (w/Record triple crank) setup for a year. Got on a friend's Ultegra equipped bike this spring, and boy did those shifters feel weird...

As far as operation on the road - the 10 speed with triple crank has never missed. I thought there might be a problem with a triple, 10 on the back, and short wheelbase, but it's been great. No chainsucks, no hanging between gears.

Only trouble I ever had with the Chorus group was linking the 10 speed chain. That was solved with a removable link from Branford Bikes. Since my chain gets tossed in the ultrasonic cleaner every few months, that one time only pin was definitely a non starter.

16. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Dura-Ace shifting is lighter than Chorus/Record. Shimano is like, "click clik." Campy goes, "ker-chunk!" I like the lighter feel of Dura-Ace. I agree with the other guys that don't like the thumb shifter.

One thing I think most of us agree on... The Campy stuff looks a lot better with the hidden cables than the ugly Dura-Ace in your face, back to the 70s, shifter cables that stick out. And yes, I own Dura-Ace. Shimano shifting is better than Campy, but it looks like hell.

17. Chesapeake Boy

Chesapeake Boy New Member

fFunny how people see things differently... I was just testing Shimano and Campy before I made the leap... I road a Dura Ace Bike.... Skfting was klunk... klunk....klunk..... THen I road a Record and a centuar bike... shifting was like a dream... I ended up getting Chorus group, and plan to upgrade to Record Ergo and rear dearailler....

18. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

Shimano shifting is definitely lighter action than Campy.

19. Chesapeake Boy

Chesapeake Boy New Member

That is exactly what I mean... I will say 100% that Campy is smoother and easier than Dura Ace

20. BaCardi

BaCardi New Member

That's what I mean. Dura-Ace is smoother and easier shifting than Record/Chorus.