Chorus vs Dura Ace

Chuck731

Nov 15, 2005
Hi. I've been a Shimano rider all my life. I last used Ultegra 9 speed for the last 5 years. I don't seem to have become particularly enamored to Ultegra, just got used to it. I tried a Campy chorus and in the short time I rode it (15 minutes) didn't devlope and strong feelings either for it or against its ergonomics compare to the Ultegra I am use to.

Now I got my dream frame, I am debating if I should go Dura Ace, or Chorus. I light light equipment, but is not fanatical about a few 10s of grams. I like smoothness of operation, low maintenance, reliability, durability. Nice fit and finish is a bonus. The price difference between Chorus and Dura ace on ebay is negligible.

Also, does Chorus carbon cranks exhibit enough stiffness increase to be noticable?

if you are looking to get the best I would decide between Dura Ace and Record. Since you have been a shimano rider for a while, I would stick to Shimano. I have riden Campagnolo ever since I started racing, so I will stick with Campy.

There are people that say that it is more appropriate to compare Chorus to Dura Ace. I dunno. If you buy Chorus you surely won't be disappointed. In the past it's been mostly true that a given year's Chorus is the previous year's Record. I don't know if that's always the case, though.

The reason why I am deciding between Chorus and Dura Ace is price. Internet prices of Chorus and Dura Ace is comparable, while Record cost half again as much.

Also, It seems to me that Record is a far more exotic grouppo than Dura Ace, with carbon fiber and titanium components. While Chorus and Dura Ace are broadly comparable, mostly conventional grouppos, perhaps differing only in minor refinements.

BTW, Carbon fiber brake levers? It seems to me that brake levers are the last places where carbon fiber can do any decisive good. Why is it the first place on the chorus to get carbon fiber treatment?

alienator said:
There are people that say that it is more appropriate to compare Chorus to Dura Ace. I dunno. If you buy Chorus you surely won't be disappointed. In the past it's been mostly true that a given year's Chorus is the previous year's Record. I don't know if that's always the case, though.
Functionally, Record and Chorus are really the same. Record uses carbon in the BB shell, and derailleur cages, Chorus uses aluminum. Also, the Record cassettes use titanium in the largest sprockets while Chorus uses all steel. Some of the hardware in Record is lighter (chainring bolts are alum while Chorus uses stainless..yada yada...) Record saves you a bit of weight and gains lots of poseur points.

Chuck731 said:
The reason why I am deciding between Chorus and Dura Ace is price. Internet prices of Chorus and Dura Ace is comparable, while Record cost half again as much.

Also, It seems to me that Record is a far more exotic grouppo than Dura Ace, with carbon fiber and titanium components. While Chorus and Dura Ace are broadly comparable, mostly conventional grouppos, perhaps differing only in minor refinements.

BTW, Carbon fiber brake levers? It seems to me that brake levers are the last places where carbon fiber can do any decisive good. Why is it the first place on the chorus to get carbon fiber treatment?

Record half again as much? That's a stretch. You can find it at comparible prices to Dura Ace. Just looking at one site, Excel Sports, Dura Ace group is $1139 and Record is $1450. Chorus is the cheapest at $1089. And that's without doing any internet leg-work at all.

PeterF said:
Functionally, Record and Chorus are really the same. Record uses carbon in the BB shell, and derailleur cages, Chorus uses aluminum. Also, the Record cassettes use titanium in the largest sprockets while Chorus uses all steel. Some of the hardware in Record is lighter (chainring bolts are alum while Chorus uses stainless..yada yada...) Record saves you a bit of weight and gains lots of poseur points.

Poseur points, eh? That must be why people buy it, right? Poseur points? Is there some level of qualification necessary to buy Record....or Dura Ace for that matter....without being branded "poseur" by those cycling gurus in the know?

alienator said:
Record half again as much? That's a stretch. You can find it at comparible prices to Dura Ace. Just looking at one site, Excel Sports, Dura Ace group is $1139 and Record is $1450. Chorus is the cheapest at $1089. And that's without doing any internet leg-work at all.

$1450 is the price without the carbon crank. The cheapest price with carbon crank I've seen is about $1650, which is 50% more than Dura-Ace.

BTW, New 10 speed Ultegra is only $700, how much difference is there between Ultegra and Dura Ace 10 spds?

alienator said:
Poseur points, eh? That must be why people buy it, right? Poseur points? Is there some level of qualification necessary to buy Record....or Dura Ace for that matter....without being branded "poseur" by those cycling gurus in the know?

i agree... that's like saying u cant buy craftsman or snapon tools cause your not a prof. mechanic or a carpenter... if ya want it get it, what ever makes u happy.

i went from 9 speed ultegra to chorus and i love it.. would never go back.
chorus and record are the same damn thing... record is 25 grams lighter, (1/3 of a cliff bar) and like 50$ more, they both use berrings and all the good stuff.

alienator said:
I was actually poking a little fun at myself with my Cat 5 licence, expanding waistline and Record components. They are excellent components though, but I doubt in a blind test I could tell Record from Chorus...

OK, I am a complete novice. Although I've been riding mountain and road bikes since I was a child (42 now), and racing has only been a recent pastime, I think I can offer some sound advice.

Firstly, buying any bike or component consists of only ONE desire. And that desire is 'because you want it'. Whether you're as skilled as a Tour rider or as clumsy as a recreational rider, whatever you choose to purchase must please YOU and only YOU. Both groups have been rated very good and will easily suit any realistic need in functionality. BUT....what does the little kid in you want? I mean, do you think a Campy group has more prestige and is, simply put, 'cooler' than Shimano? You mention that you have found your dream frame right? Is the frame more euro-style, ultra-modern high tech, or kind of retro? If the frame looks Italian or classic, I would go with Campy. If it's more contemporary and made from some high-tech materials, I would maybe go Shimano. These are just my opinions if the given groups are nearly equal (as I believe they are) in meeting the requirements you've listed. If it was me I would probably go Campy...purely for the reason that I've never had Campy on any of my bikes. Don't get me wrong, for the money NOTHING seems to come close to my new ten speed Ultegra group. But for a dream bike a more polished group would be in order, as you've pointed out.
I wish I could offer more in the way of technical advice. But I am a novice ya know. Good luck and have fun deciding!!

I have bikes with both Record, and Centaur...and can barely notice the difference in shifting and braking.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with the "Poseur" comment. I agree that you should buy whatever you want. A bike to me is part exercise gear but also part collectors item. I always rode Shimano Ultegra and 105 which was perfectly fine, but when I got my latest frame (Pinarello Opera) I really wanted to build my dream bike. I originally thought about going Dura Ace, but mostly because I thought Record was over my budget. What I found was that if you look for deals (ebay mostly), you can build a full Record bike for under $1,100. I think some of the carbon (derailleur cages) is a bit over the top, but what the heck. You only live once. It's not exactly collecting dust either.

Personally, I'd give Campy my/your business .......... as they are more specialized then Shimano(only road components) ....... and Shimano will still make alot of profits in the end, from OEM bike component parts, fishing reals, etc.

The reason for Carbon brake levers ?? :eek: Well, its a three part thing 1. cool looks, 2. light weight , 3. most importantly.... in cold weather, then fingers dont get stung by that Aluminum ice-cold feel ;)

I'd recommend Chorus(good value) ...... but substitute out the BB + Hubs for Record(- Record will give you higher durability- better bearing races, servicability is straight forward/easy + lighter weight) ......... for probably about $50-75 more

I refuse to "second guess" myself , and buy a product that I either 1. dont believe in , 2. having doubts about , 3. cannot justify the price involved .

For example, I just bought a MTB part... that I did not want to pay over $400 for something of high quality(retail of $600+)- and that will give me good service for 5+ years. I was contemplating going with something that was $270 ..... but was lacking adjustability........ which in the future I could very well be in need of that adjustability. So, I opted for the $400 item ......... so that I wont be put into a position 1-2-3 years from now... when I could more then likely use the adjustability...... then be put in a position of selling a used 2 year old component for 1/2 or less its value ..... and put that $$ towards the "latest and greatest thing out there"- and basically be out more $$ in the proces all because I did not do it right the first time . Consumerizm is fine and dandy- that is what our "capitalistic society foundation is built upon".... and Retail stores thrive off of the New Years latest and greatest product to be sold ......... but I'm done with the "every 3-4 years" going out and spending some good $$$ on the latest and greatest , when my Campy Record/Chours ..... Marzocchi ....... Time , etc. components are plenty durable to last many.... many 1000's of miles 5-10+ years with proper maintenance.

.. sorry for the ramblings... had to get that out of my system. ;)

Adam-from-SLO said:
Personally, I'd give Campy my/your business .......... as they are more specialized then Shimano(only road components) ....... and Shimano will still make alot of profits in the end, from OEM bike component parts, fishing reals, etc.

The reason for Carbon brake levers ?? :eek: Well, its a three part thing 1. cool looks, 2. light weight , 3. most importantly.... in cold weather, then fingers dont get stung by that Aluminum ice-cold feel ;)

I'd recommend Chorus(good value) ...... but substitute out the BB + Hubs for Record(- Record will give you higher durability- better bearing races, servicability is straight forward/easy + lighter weight) ......... for probably about $50-75 more

I agree about the carbon levers. The feel good in hot or cold weather and they now come standard with the Chorus group as well. I was under the impression that the Chorus and the Record BB were essentially the same thing, only Record comes with a carbon shell for a little bit of weight reduction.

Adam-from-SLO said:

I agree about the carbon levers. They feel good in hot or cold weather and they now come standard with the Chorus group as well. I was under the impression that the Chorus and the Record BB were essentially the same thing, only Record comes with a carbon shell for a little bit of weight reduction.

PeterF said:
Adam-from-SLO said:

I agree about the carbon levers. The feel good in hot or cold weather and they now come standard with the Chorus group as well. I was under the impression that the Chorus and the Record BB were essentially the same thing, only Record comes with a carbon shell for a little bit of weight reduction.

I had a 2000 Chorus BB..... installed by myself , and road it for about 1K miles ....... noticed when I spun the free-wheel, the crank seemed stiff(unlike Campy). I disassembled the crank/BB ....... and the Chorus bearings were toast/shot... about 3-4 had exploded/broken in half/etc. Not so sure if Campy re-did the Chorus BB for the 10-speed 2001+ line :confused: I then installed a 1996 Record(non-Carbon) triple sealed bearing(bomb-proof) ........ and everything has been fine ever since(every 6-8K miles.... the BB will start to creek.... must disassemble , clean, I may use loctite 66 on the shell to keep everything snug, and rethread/tighten BB thread well) .... I am 155lbs , not sure how much watts, etc. I put out. I have also ridden the Record Carbon BB(starting when it first came out in 1997) ....... and I've put 15K miles on it, trouble free ;)

This may be useful info. for anyone putting together a Campy drive-train, etc.- to know whats what, durability, etc.

My understanding is that Campy stuff is 'rebuildable' and shimano isn't? My first bike had Ultegra 9-speed and my new one has Centar, Velose and Chorus 10 speed and my observations are as follows:

My campy stuff seems to stay 'in-tune' longer.
I really like the thumb shift with the Campy vs. using the brake lever.
Campy is a bit more pricey and harder to find in a pinch here in Tucson. Otherwise I like them the same. My next bike will most likely have Campy at least Chorus.

azdroptop said:
My understanding is that Campy stuff is 'rebuildable' and shimano isn't? My first bike had Ultegra 9-speed and my new one has Centar, Velose and Chorus 10 speed and my observations are as follows:

My campy stuff seems to stay 'in-tune' longer.
I really like the thumb shift with the Campy vs. using the brake lever.
Campy is a bit more pricey and harder to find in a pinch here in Tucson. Otherwise I like them the same. My next bike will most likely have Campy at least Chorus.
I prefer the thumb shifters as well, plus the abilty to shift multiple gears is very nice. The rebuildable aspects of Campy are nice too, especially with the levers.

Dura-Ace brake-shifters are not rebuilable -- I think that is what is being spoke of. No big deal. If they break, you replace them.