Chris Horner and Astana

Tom Kunich

Guest
Here's a question - we know that Chris Horner was probably hired to support
Levi and Contador. He's probably one of the best support riders out there as
well.

Will Astana give Chris some wins this year or simply use him as a foot mat
like his previous Euro-teams?

"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Here's a question - we know that Chris Horner was probably hired to
support
| Levi and Contador. He's probably one of the best support riders out there
as
| well.
|
| Will Astana give Chris some wins this year or simply use him as a foot mat
| like his previous Euro-teams?

Ask Chris. He's about as open and straight-forward as they come.

I do suspect that a number of races he might have targeted have been shut
off for him though, as the team has to re-direct their priorities to races
other than the ASO & RCS events. Astana would get better PR from absolutely
totally dominating every possible event they do enter, and that would likely
mean everyone working as a team for either Levi or Contador. The flaw in
that thinking is that neither Levi nor Contador are the type who could get
into a small breakaway, while Horner certainly is.

OK, I'm changing my thinking as I type this. I think Horner's chances have
actually improved significantly, since everyone will be watching Levi &
Contador.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:01:15 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>| Here's a question - we know that Chris Horner was probably hired to
>support
>| Levi and Contador. He's probably one of the best support riders out there
>as
>| well.
>|
>| Will Astana give Chris some wins this year or simply use him as a foot mat
>| like his previous Euro-teams?

Kunich is in my kill file, so I missed the orignal post, but it's
worth pointing out that Horner won stages in the Tours of Romandie and
Switzerland in the last few years, and was also given the go-ahead to
ride for a stage at the Tour of France.

> Will Astana give Chris some wins this year or simply use him as a foot mat
> like his previous Euro-teams?

Can you just give riders wins?

With virtual Tour wins and unofficial suspensions I guess you can.

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:01:15 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >| Here's a question - we know that Chris Horner was probably hired to
> >support
> >| Levi and Contador. He's probably one of the best support riders out there
> >as
> >| well.
> >|
> >| Will Astana give Chris some wins this year or simply use him as a foot mat
> >| like his previous Euro-teams?

> Kunich is in my kill file,

Hater.

> so I missed the orignal post, but it's
> worth pointing out that Horner won stages in the Tours of Romandie and
> Switzerland in the last few years, and was also given the go-ahead to
> ride for a stage at the Tour of France.

I think Astana will probably look for any results since they can't do the one big
race they wanted (and the one that likely bacame the fallback big race either).
Whether that means they'll decide to support Horner or not remains to be seen.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:01:15 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...
> > >support
> > >as

> > Kunich is in my kill file,

> Hater.
>
> > so I missed the orignal post, but it's
> > worth pointing out that Horner won stages in the Tours of Romandie and
> > Switzerland in the last few years, and was also given the go-ahead to
> > ride for a stage at the Tour of France.

> I think Astana will probably look for any results since they can't do the
> one big
> race they wanted (and the one that likely bacame the fallback big race
> either).
> Whether that means they'll decide to support Horner or not remains to be
> seen.

Look for Astana to embark on the Patriots Protocol: infuriated by being
punished, they will wreak their victorious vengeance on every darned
race they can enter. Every classic, every fiddly tune-up stage race,
even the Eneco Tour and that Protour team time trial nobody cares about.
Astana, Astana, Astana.

Of course, following the Patriots Protocol, they'll screw up and lose at
Worlds,