Chris Horner's Tour Reports Are Amazing!

donrhummy

Jan 5, 2006
You have to listen to Chris Horner's Tour reports on VeloNews TV. They're easily the most insightful, interesting and well-thought-out reports on the TDF anywhere (and that includes the Eurosport guys, the Versus guys, etc). It's hard to believe he's an active cyclist -- he takes a lot of time and thought on every answer.

http://www.velonews.com/vntv/

Just scroll back through them and they have a bunch of his "Chris Horner Diaries" in there. Unfortunately, they've removed some of the older ones from stage 8 and earlier but there are still some really good ones.

Horner always gives a good interview. I think he's the only American racer who seems to have any tactical sense. All the others get their race tactics from their DS via the radio.

Evans is a brilliant tactican and naturally some of this has rubbed off on Horner.:)

donrhummy said:
You have to listen to Chris Horner's Tour reports on VeloNews TV. They're easily the most insightful, interesting and well-thought-out reports on the TDF anywhere (and that includes the Eurosport guys, the Versus guys, etc). It's hard to believe he's an active cyclist -- he takes a lot of time and thought on every answer.

http://www.velonews.com/vntv/

Just scroll back through them and they have a bunch of his "Chris Horner Diaries" in there. Unfortunately, they've removed some of the older ones from stage 8 and earlier but there are still some really good ones.

Thanks for the link. Interesting comments about Astana. Horner didn't mince words about Andreas' team doing everything to wreck his chances of overall GC.

Too bad Honer won't speak out on the real stories of his industry.

Horner embarrassed himself last summer covering up for Landis's steroid bust.

Don;t be too impressed by Horner. He is just another shill looking ahead for post racing employment.

Too bad Horner won't speak out on the real stories of his industry.

Horner embarrassed himself last summer covering up for Landis's steroid bust.

Don't be too impressed by Horner. He is just another shill looking ahead for post racing employment.

Klodifan said:
Thanks for the link. Interesting comments about Astana. Horner didn't mince words about Andreas' team doing everything to wreck his chances of overall GC.
Yeah I noticed that too and thought it was dead-on accurate and hilarious!

If Kloden hadn't been forced to drop back for Vinokourov on stage 8, he'd likely have been no more than 1 min. behind Rasm. and a certain lock for yellow with a huge lead post-TT.

Can't wait till his next report.

heinkel12 said:
It wouldn't be the first time the Tour had been won that way.
A stage, maybe, the Tour? Never.

This is one (mind you I said one) of the reasons Levi's never been a real threat to the podium.

well you could argue to some extent that guys like lance and indurain sucked alot of wheel, but in the case of lance, for example (i wasn't watching during the indurain years), in '03 when he had his closest tour he sure as hell didn't just sit around sucking wheel in the mountains because ulle demolished him in the first ITT. he attacked when he had to. if levi was actually racing for a win (or even podium), he would have tried to make something happen in the alps, because he's for sure going to lose time to several contenders (most notably evans and klodi), and then he'll have only the pyrenees. sure, you could argue that those are the harder stages but look at chicken. he's used every mountain stage that offers him a good chance to gain time on the better TTing GC men to his advantage. that's not even riding a tactical Tour- that's just common sense.

SaintAndrew said:
well you could argue to some extent that guys like lance and indurain sucked alot of wheel, but in the case of lance, for example (i wasn't watching during the indurain years), in '03 when he had his closest tour he sure as hell didn't just sit around sucking wheel in the mountains because ulle demolished him in the first ITT. he attacked when he had to. if levi was actually racing for a win (or even podium), he would have tried to make something happen in the alps, because he's for sure going to lose time to several contenders (most notably evans and klodi), and then he'll have only the pyrenees. sure, you could argue that those are the harder stages but look at chicken. he's used every mountain stage that offers him a good chance to gain time on the better TTing GC men to his advantage. that's not even riding a tactical Tour- that's just common sense.
Definitely ever cyclist has to suck wheel at some point, but that's not how they win. They win by making the attack at the right moment and making it stick. If Lance hadn't done that, we'd never have "the look" that he gave Ullrich. He did dominate in the TT's but he also put time and hurt into his opponents in the mountains as well. If all you do is suck wheel, you're guaranteed to be fairly high up in the standings but you'll never put time into your main GC opponents -- you'll finish in the same time.

I know it's a pipe dream but I would love to see Rasmussen make the podium and do well in the TT's (not win them but do well enough not to lose tons of time). Don't know if it means anything but Magnus Burkhardt said he saw some TT bikes in Rasmussen's garage during the off-season for the first time this year and he thinks he's been working on his TT.

But back to horner...I don't know if anyone noticed but they're interviewing a number of other cyclists besides Horner (Zabriskie in particular) and he and Z had a "bet" going about who could say a word more. But what's interesting is that while they tied those two interviews together, Horner's is head and shoulders above Z's. Zabriskie offers very little insight into the race and never breaks it down. His answers are the usual athlete-saying-nothing-real while Horner actually breaks down what happened and why. Interesting contrast.