Chris Hoy/Dave Brailsford : scope national awards

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Those of you in Britain and Ireland would have seen the annual BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2008 last night on TV

Momentous night for the sport of cycling - with Chris Hoy winning the overall BBC Sports Personality 2008 award ahead of Rebecca Adlington and F1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton.

As well as Hoy, Dave Brailsford won the BBC Sports Manager of the Year 2008
award as well.

It goes without saying that Team GB won the BBC Team of the Year 2008 award.
Victoria Pendleton accepted the award on behalf of the team.

Hoy is the only the second cyclist ever to win the BBC award - Tom Simpson being the last recipient.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/dec/14/chrishoy-cycling

Wasnt Hoy and Hamilton meant to have a drag race or something? Didnt OH&S shut it down? Typical pommies and their 'rulz'
tongue.gif

Geoff Vadar said:
Wasnt Hoy and Hamilton meant to have a drag race or something? Didnt OH&S shut it down? Typical pommies and their 'rulz'
tongue.gif

They were supposed to race yesterday afternoon - but the event was cancelled due to safety issues.

That award ceremony last night was a great showcase for the Brit cycling ; Wiggins, pendleton, cooke, thomas, hoy etc were all there.
Beating the likes of Man Utd, Wales grand slam team - to win the best team vote, really does say something.

Of the top 10 personalities in this years list, Wiggins, Hoy, Romero and Cooke
were on that 10.

limerickman said:
They were supposed to race yesterday afternoon - but the event was cancelled due to safety issues.

That award ceremony last night was a great showcase for the Brit cycling ; Wiggins, pendleton, cooke, thomas, hoy etc were all there.
Beating the likes of Man Utd, Wales grand slam team - to win the best team vote, really does say something.

were on that 10.
How come some snooker or darts player or Phil Tufnel didn't win it?

classic1 said:
How come some snooker or darts player or Phil Tufnel didn't win it?

Phil Tufnel !!!!!!!!!!!!
For his fielding !

LOL.

You aussies used give tuffers terrible stick.

limerickman said:
were on that 10.
Look its good dont get me wrong but where you are kicking goals in the growth in 'racing' cyclists. You are killing it. In the last 5 years competitive cycling in the UK has gone through the roof.

There are a whole bunch of people claiming we (Oz) have 'turned the corner' in terms of getting back to being competitive with the brits. Personally I think that is buttered fairy bread but maybe they are right.

limerickman said:
Phil Tufnel !!!!!!!!!!!!
For his fielding !

LOL.

You aussies used give tuffers terrible stick.
We still do. He is a visual comedy genius.

Geoff Vadar said:
Look its good dont get me wrong but where you are kicking goals in the growth in 'racing' cyclists. You are killing it. In the last 5 years competitive cycling in the UK has gone through the roof.

There are a whole bunch of people claiming we (Oz) have 'turned the corner' in terms of getting back to being competitive with the brits. Personally I think that is buttered fairy bread but maybe they are right.

Sue Barker (former tennis player) works as BBC sports compare at the show.

The GB team were all lined up on stage and Barker asked Wiggins how did it feel to win an Olympic Gold medal.
Wiggins shrugged his shoulders and said "it felt alright" with a fixed deadpan expression.
The audience sort of laughed uncomfortably.

Barker said "only alright ?" - and Wiggins said "yeah, it was no big deal".
Again audience laughed.

Realising what he said - and how it may have come across - Wiggins stated "I'm sorry if people don't like what I just said - but we knew what we had to do and we went out and did it. We knew we went well in Manchester (world championships) and Beijing did not come as a surprise".

award ceremony is here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/default.stm

Brilliant, Wiggins is a legend. As is Chris Hoy and pretty much the entire track team for Bejing. Now all we need is someone who can compete on the GC....

Sue Barker (former tennis player) works as BBC sports compare at the show.

The GB team were all lined up on stage and Barker asked Wiggins how did it feel to win an Olympic Gold medal.
Wiggins shrugged his shoulders and said "it felt alright" with a fixed deadpan expression.
The audience sort of laughed uncomfortably.

Again audience laughed.

Realising what he said - and how it may have come across - Wiggins stated "I'm sorry if people don't like what I just said - but we knew what we had to do and we went out and did it. We knew we went well in Manchester (world championships) and Beijing did not come as a surprise".
Well, it's not like he hadn't done it before.....

limerickman said:
Again audience laughed.

not upstaged by a dead horse this time. ;)