Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chris King no-threadset on carbon steerer, o-ring troubles

Started by Pete Grey · · Last activity · 1 post · 402 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 November 2007
Last activity
4 November 2007
Original author
Pete Grey
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
402
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm having a bit of a battle with getting the top-cap over the steerer on a
    bike I'm building.
    This isn't my first King headset install, I've done maybe a half-dozen, plus
    many other headset installs.

    The darn o-ring is simply too tight. As in WAY too tight. I can get the
    cap maybe 2-3mm down the steerer (put a nice bevel on it already), and
    that's it, by hand.

    I can't budge it with a rubber mallet. I can move it by using my crown race
    setting tool, but it takes quite a tap to get it to move further down.
    Given that, I suspect I won't be able to adjust the headset even if I can
    get it snugged down, as there wouldn't be any play to even adjust?

    Any ideas? I've tried greasing the o-ring and steerer, also silicone lube
    on both. Same results with either, not going anywhere fast.

    This headset was on the exact same frame fork model# awhile back, but I got
    hit and it bent my headtube so I got a new fork to be safe on the rebuild.
    I'm puzzled, any help would be greatly appreciated....

    Thanks,

    -pete

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.