Chris King no-threadset on carbon steerer, o-ring troubles

I could try getting some o-rings, any idea how to accurately measure the
existing one?

I put on a LOT of grease this time, no additional success.

I have to admit, I'm very hesitant to start sanding down the carbon fiber
steerer. It looks pretty thin as it is and I'm not sure how much tolerance
there is for taking material off...

-pete

news:[email protected]...

Pete Grey wrote:
> I could try getting some o-rings, any idea how to accurately measure the
> existing one?
>
> I put on a LOT of grease this time, no additional success.
>
> I have to admit, I'm very hesitant to start sanding down the carbon fiber
> steerer. It looks pretty thin as it is and I'm not sure how much tolerance
> there is for taking material off...

On all my bikes with a CK headset I find that the ring is a very tight
fit on the steerer.
Do you have the possibility to measure the inner diameter of the O-ring
when it is in the groove of top cap with a workshop microscope
(contactless)? It can't be compressed much when it is restrained in the
groove. If all else fail, bring it to a machine shop to enlarge the
diameter of the groove.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

Pete Grey wrote:
> I could try getting some o-rings, any idea how to accurately measure the
> existing one?
>
> I put on a LOT of grease this time, no additional success.
>
> I have to admit, I'm very hesitant to start sanding down the carbon fiber
> steerer. It looks pretty thin as it is and I'm not sure how much tolerance
> there is for taking material off...

On all my bikes with a CK headset I find that the ring is a very tight
fit on the steerer.
Do you have the possibility to measure the inner diameter of the O-ring
when it is in the groove of top cap with a workshop microscope
(contactless)? It can't be compressed much when it is restrained in the
groove. If all else fail, bring it to a machine shop to enlarge the
diameter of the groove.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

I think I've figured it out.
I believe my top-cap is slightly out-of-round. King had me measure my
steerer, and it nearly perfectly round, on several points of the steerer,
and all <=1.125".
However, I took a King top-cap off another bike, and was able to install it
by hand, with a good amount of force, but by hand all the way down the
steerer.

I ordered a new top-cap from King, should get here tomorrow or Friday.

-pete

news:[email protected]...

Have you ever had your face spackled with *********?