Chris King Threadless Headset on Carbon Steerer

Brent Olson

Guest
I am having one heck of a time with this. I have a Reynolds Ouzo Pro 1" full-carbon fork and a chris
king 1" threadless head set. Cups are pressed into the frame no problem-o, I have the crown race
"driven home" on the fork. I then install the fork into the frame and you're supposed to slide the
upper part of the headset (top bearing cap) on the carbon fork. There's a little rubber o-ring on
the chris king part. It just won't slide down unless I use something other than my hands. If I
remove the o-ring, the part will slide over the steer with some effort, but I can do it by hand.
I've tried using soap (afraid of petroleum products) to help it along, but she won't go.

Do I need the rubber o-ring? Any tips on getting the o-ring on there without marring the top
bearing cap?

I'm using this as a guide. They say I need to keep the o-ring.

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html#nothread

Brent Olson wrote:

> I am having one heck of a time with this. I have a Reynolds Ouzo Pro 1" full-carbon fork and a
> chris king 1" threadless head set. Cups are pressed into the frame no problem-o, I have the
> crown race "driven home" on the fork. I then install the fork into the frame and you're supposed
> to slide the upper part of the headset (top bearing cap) on the carbon fork. There's a little
> rubber o-ring on the chris king part. It just won't slide down unless I use something other than
> my hands. If I remove the o-ring, the part will slide over the steer with some effort, but I can
> do it by hand. I've tried using soap (afraid of petroleum products) to help it along, but she
> won't go.
>
> Do I need the rubber o-ring? Any tips on getting the o-ring on there without marring the top
> bearing cap?
>
> I'm using this as a guide. They say I need to keep the o-ring.
>
> http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html#nothread
The Chris King o-rings are pretty tight. You might file or sand a very small bevel (not more than
about .5mm) on the cut end of the steerer tube, to help the o-ring start onto the tube. As long as
the bevel is small you won't lose significant clamp area for the stem. Soap is a good idea to
lubricate it. You can use a blook of wood or hard plastic to protect the cap if you need to tap it
on, or just to give something bigger to push on.

Dave Lehnen

deja3-<< I then install the fork into the frame and you're supposed to slide the upper part of the
headset (top bearing cap) on the carbon fork. There's a little rubber o-ring on the chris king part.
It just won't slide down unless I use something other than my hands. >><BR><BR>

righto-make sure the end of the steerer is smooth, a little emery papaer to smooth it, and we use a
tap, tap of a rubber mallet...Ya want this oring to be tight or it wouldn't need to be there.