Chris King Threadless Headset on Carbon Steerer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brent Olson, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Brent Olson

    Brent Olson Guest

    I am having one heck of a time with this. I have a Reynolds Ouzo Pro 1" full-carbon fork and a chris
    king 1" threadless head set. Cups are pressed into the frame no problem-o, I have the crown race
    "driven home" on the fork. I then install the fork into the frame and you're supposed to slide the
    upper part of the headset (top bearing cap) on the carbon fork. There's a little rubber o-ring on
    the chris king part. It just won't slide down unless I use something other than my hands. If I
    remove the o-ring, the part will slide over the steer with some effort, but I can do it by hand.
    I've tried using soap (afraid of petroleum products) to help it along, but she won't go.

    Do I need the rubber o-ring? Any tips on getting the o-ring on there without marring the top
    bearing cap?

    I'm using this as a guide. They say I need to keep the o-ring.

    http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html#nothread

    Tags:

  2. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    Brent Olson wrote:

    > I am having one heck of a time with this. I have a Reynolds Ouzo Pro 1" full-carbon fork and a
    > chris king 1" threadless head set. Cups are pressed into the frame no problem-o, I have the
    > crown race "driven home" on the fork. I then install the fork into the frame and you're supposed
    > to slide the upper part of the headset (top bearing cap) on the carbon fork. There's a little
    > rubber o-ring on the chris king part. It just won't slide down unless I use something other than
    > my hands. If I remove the o-ring, the part will slide over the steer with some effort, but I can
    > do it by hand. I've tried using soap (afraid of petroleum products) to help it along, but she
    > won't go.
    >
    > Do I need the rubber o-ring? Any tips on getting the o-ring on there without marring the top
    > bearing cap?
    >
    > I'm using this as a guide. They say I need to keep the o-ring.
    >
    > http://www.chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets.html#nothread
    The Chris King o-rings are pretty tight. You might file or sand a very small bevel (not more than
    about .5mm) on the cut end of the steerer tube, to help the o-ring start onto the tube. As long as
    the bevel is small you won't lose significant clamp area for the stem. Soap is a good idea to
    lubricate it. You can use a blook of wood or hard plastic to protect the cap if you need to tap it
    on, or just to give something bigger to push on.

    Dave Lehnen

  3. deja3-<< I then install the fork into the frame and you're supposed to slide the upper part of the
    headset (top bearing cap) on the carbon fork. There's a little rubber o-ring on the chris king part.
    It just won't slide down unless I use something other than my hands. >><BR><BR>

    righto-make sure the end of the steerer is smooth, a little emery papaer to smooth it, and we use a
    tap, tap of a rubber mallet...Ya want this oring to be tight or it wouldn't need to be there.