Chris King Ti headset question

remdog said:
I'm sensing a lot of gealousy from other riders who don't own a Moots. It's sad to say that not everyone has the opportunity to own one of these fine bikes.
Yes, I'm really broken up that my hand built titanium frame (MADE IN THE USA, for those who care) cost a fraction of a Moots. Perhaps some day I'll have that opportunity.

DarkRider said:
He is coming off as a bit of a "hater", but I was in denial about it until you made the point...
Not a "hater", just terribly amused.

artmichalek said:
Yes, I'm really broken up that my hand built titanium frame (MADE IN THE USA, for those who care) cost a fraction of a Moots. Perhaps some day I'll have that opportunity.

Not a "hater", just terribly amused.

I am genuinely happy that you chose a US Made frame, I commend this, and it was a MAJOR reason why I chose this bike over many others I rode.. But you still don't need to be an arrogant jerk.

Adam-from-SLO said:
So... it simply sounds like you like to ride- get in shape(boost the cardio some) , enjoy the outdoors and life ! ;) I think most here also share the same base reasons for riding as well.

As far as what your saying when you say " why deny technology improvements" , ... well, to each his own. Most people who buy a full suspenstion rig tend to do so with a Aluminum frame(most cost affective, stiff, front/rear susp. ...... frame material is still important- but not nearly as critical as when you go hard-tail).

Personally, I do not deny technology either- man, front fork technology is WAY out there.... talk about every 3-4 years it just jumps leaps + bounds !!!! :eek: :) , 9-speed system at my thumb-tips :p :) , clipless pedals, V-brakes (or disc if that is your method of stopping power) , etc.

BTW, on my MTB- I currently have slicks on my wheels(if you typically ride road w/ your MTB...... you might want to invest $40 into a set for that purpose... and yes you will roll faster up/down the road ;) ).

Also.. BTW, I concur with the other poster, having to remove your headset to clean- then reinstall should be every 5-10 years - for most riders, even riders who ride 5 days per week- HARD :D The bike shop who told you , that in order to "maintain" your bike , was either 1. seeing you have a high end MTB $$ , and maybe also you have $$ coming out your A$$ - so why not get this guy in our shop to spend even MORE money on his bike, or 2. did not know what they were talking about , or 1 + 2 combined :)

.... maybe I'll get bold enough to post pics. of my MTB here one day :D

Thanks for your colorful and interesting reply... First off, yes.. post a pic of the beast... l'd love to see it!

Second, the rebuilding of a bike every 1-2 years is something a few pro-bike shops told me they do.. It's kind of like a car.. you can either change the oil every 13000 miles, and the transmission fluid never as the owners manual says.. or you can change your oil every 6500 miles, and the transmission every 25000 and have it last 2-3 times longer... it is after all YOUR car... For the lousy $50 it's going to cost me, I'd sooner err on the side of over maintenance.

DarkRider said:
Thanks for your colorful and interesting reply... First off, yes.. post a pic of the beast... l'd love to see it!

Second, the rebuilding of a bike every 1-2 years is something a few pro-bike shops told me they do.. It's kind of like a car.. you can either change the oil every 13000 miles, and the transmission fluid never as the owners manual says.. or you can change your oil every 6500 miles, and the transmission every 25000 and have it last 2-3 times longer... it is after all YOUR car... For the lousy $50 it's going to cost me, I'd sooner err on the side of over maintenance.

Drive train is one thing - very good idea to constantly maintain. A BOMBPROOF King HS........ , as many people do- even racers- weekend warriors, etc. ......... its not majorly imparitive to uninstall/clean/reinstall . If you do it once every 1-2 years, really its a waist of your time.

Its not a good idea to compare bikes, to automobiles :eek:
Autos tend to need WAY more maintainence then a well put together bicycle(cars tend to be put together mostly by machine(except maybe a first generation M3 :) ), tightening screws, etc.. ...... plus they are resource hores/junkies :) , as opposed to bicycles- that are very low impact on the environment.

I'll post a good pic. of my MTB in about 1 month, after I put on real MTB knobby tires- so its properly represented as a MTB( I currently have a pair of Specialized Fat Boy 1.25" tires Thanks again Paul !!!!!!!!!!!!!! , w/Air-B latex tubes- Thanks Sunstorm Cyclery....... !!

Here is a run down of how my MTB is composed:

*2001 Seven Cycles Sola- 3/2.5 Argon Butted Ti. oversized tubing 18" C-C
*Marzocchi 2005 Marathon XC Fork.... very, very nice ;)
*SRAM 9-speed through out, X-7(shifters), X-9(Cassette, R.Derailleur)
*Race-Face Turbine-Forged Isis/ Standard Crank- siver w/Race Face SGX BB
*Avid Ultimate V-Brakes , Avid Single Digit 7 Ti. brake levers
*King Silver HS
*White Bros . Ti. Riser bar 1" , Kore Aheadlite stem-silver
*Syncros Hardcore Seatpost, Selle Italia Prolink Trans-Am Ti/Carbon saddle
*F.Wheel:King silver/ Mavic 517 Ceramic 32-hole butted DT spokes/Brass nips ;)
*R.Wheel:XTR hub / Mavic 517 Ceramic 32-hole butted DT/Brass Nips
*Shimano XTR 952 Front Derallieur , Shimano XT chain
*Ellite Cussi Stainless Steel-hollow cage
*ODI Rogue clamp grips

Not so sure how much this beast weights ....... like I care ;) I just ride baby !!!! My plan, is to get real good at X-country MTB , enter some races-hopefully do well, make a name for myself- then possibly one day be able/get offered a spot to try out on a pro- Road bike team :D