Chris King's Head?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Caher, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hi all,
    The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some Chris King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part like that – or am I missing something? I can perhaps see why a race face cranks can cost over £250 where you might get real lightweight and strength but surely a head is quite a basic part like a nut?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Caher wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some

    Chris
    > King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part

    like
    > that

    the same people who would pay £xx for a Park pizza wheel?

  3. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On 4/10/04 4:54 pm, a person known to the world as "MartinM"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Caher wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some

    > Chris
    >> King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part

    > like
    >> that

    > the same people who would pay £xx for a Park pizza wheel?

    But the Park toilet-roll holder: that's ok, isn't it? Isn't it?

    Ian
    --
    After bitter Usenet experience, my email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  4. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Caher wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some

    > Chris
    > > King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part

    > like
    > > that

    > the same people who would pay £xx for a Park pizza wheel?

    or £xxxx for a Colnago

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Ian Walker wrote:
    > On 4/10/04 4:54 pm, a person known to the world as "MartinM"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > Caher wrote:
    > >> Hi all,
    > >> The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some

    > > Chris
    > >> King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part

    > > like
    > >> that

    > > the same people who would pay £xx for a Park pizza wheel?
    > >

    > But the Park toilet-roll holder: that's ok, isn't it? Isn't it?

    I saw that in the Evans catalogue but did not study it in depth, what's
    it supposed to look like?

  6. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On 4/10/04 5:24 pm, a person known to the world as "MartinM"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> But the Park toilet-roll holder: that's ok, isn't it? Isn't it?

    > I saw that in the Evans catalogue but did not study it in depth, what's
    > it supposed to look like?

    It's made from a steerer tube, headset, steerer and a very short set of
    forks which hold the roll. Just need to convince the other half that this
    is what the house needs...

    Ian
    --
    After bitter Usenet experience, my email address is invalid to prevent spam.
    Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Just need to convince the other half that this
    is what the house needs...

    rather you than me ;-)

  8. On 4 Oct 2004 09:30:09 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message <[email protected]>:

    >Just need to convince the other half that this
    >is what the house needs...

    An excellent first homebuild project, I'd say. But don't forget to
    use a QR axle, or you'll have to leave a spanner on a bit of string
    next to it...

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ian Walker wrote:

    >>> The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some
    >>> Chris King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a
    >>> part like that

    >> the same people who would pay £xx for a Park pizza wheel?
    >>

    > But the Park toilet-roll holder: that's ok, isn't it? Isn't it?

    Looks quite bog standard compared to the Campag gold plated corkscrew.

    (Sorry:).

    ~PB

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 4/10/04 5:36 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 4 Oct 2004 09:30:09 -0700, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message <[email protected]>:
    >
    >> Just need to convince the other half that this
    >> is what the house needs...

    > An excellent first homebuild project, I'd say. But don't forget to
    > use a QR axle, or you'll have to leave a spanner on a bit of string
    > next to it...

    Hmm.. I have an old, unused 105 front hub (may as well go for quality ;-).
    Next time I have the welder out...

    ...d

  11. Caher wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some Chris
    > King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part like
    > that – or am I missing something? I can perhaps see why a race face
    > cranks can cost over £250 where you might get real lightweight and
    > strength but surely a head is quite a basic part like a nut?

    Headsets are a PITA when they go wrong because you need special tools or
    a good bike shop to fit them - so if a headset lasts as long as even
    *two* ordinary ones it may be worth it.

  12. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi all,
    > The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some Chris
    > King heads for £125!

    Not really much for a decent bust, but who's Chris King and why were they on
    sale in a bike shop?

    Seriously though, apparently they are very good and guaranteed for life. In
    my life I've got through more than £125 worth of mtb headsets. With the
    benefit of hindsight and foremoney it would have paid me to buy one long
    ago.

    Pete

  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Caher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Hi all,
    >> The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some Chris
    >> King heads for £125!

    > Not really much for a decent bust, but who's Chris King and why were they
    > on
    > sale in a bike shop?
    >
    > Seriously though, apparently they are very good and guaranteed for life.
    > In
    > my life I've got through more than £125 worth of mtb headsets. With the
    > benefit of hindsight and foremoney it would have paid me to buy one long
    > ago.
    >
    > Pete

    Actually the guarantee is only a poxy 10 yrs, not lifetime ;-)

    Although with the age of some posters on here........

  14. Caher

    Caher New Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Hmm that was the disguised message - convincing the other half how essential it is to own such parts! Fox forks I might be able to justify but a headset…

  15. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD87385A.515E%[email protected]
    > On 4/10/04 5:24 pm, a person known to the world as "MartinM"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> But the Park toilet-roll holder: that's ok, isn't it? Isn't it?

    >> I saw that in the Evans catalogue but did not study it in depth, what's
    >> it supposed to look like?
    >>

    > It's made from a steerer tube, headset, steerer and a very short set of
    > forks which hold the roll. Just need to convince the other half that this
    > is what the house needs...

    mine looks good and is always commented on by cyclists, but not drivers?! I
    hasten to add that I didn't buy it, I was given it as a leaving present from
    Airbus. I'm still trying to work out whether there was a hidden message
    there.