Chris King's Head?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Caher, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Caher

Caher New Member

Hi all,
    The other day I walked into my local bike shop and noticed some Chris King heads for £125! Why would anyone pay that amount for a part like that – or am I missing something? I can perhaps see why a race face cranks can cost over £250 where you might get real lightweight and strength but surely a head is quite a basic part like a nut?

Thanks

Tags:

2. gruppo

gruppo New Member

Why would anyone pay $5000 (US) for a bicycle? Isn't it just two wheels held together by a metal triangle? You even have to power it yourself!

3. Caher

Caher New Member

Good point but a bike is the sum of its parts (many parts) but a headset is way more simplistic than that. My objective is to upgrade my bike but also justify to the higher powers some of the parts i might need.

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I guess it all depends on what you feel are the 'weakest points' on your ride.

IMHO, a King headset, as wonderful as it may be, would not be my first priority in an upgrade (given a limited amount of money and desire to upgrade my bike).

The first things I would look at are

1) comfy seat (my nether regions are important to me);
    2) wheels; and
    3) ergo-derailleurs combo;
    4) ultra sensual super duper carbon cranks (they just look too cool)!

What the heck, get a whole new bike! :D

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I've never had an issue with Ultegra HS that I have bought new for $10-20. Even if they shouldn't last as long as a King, I can buy alot of them for the price of a King.They both do exactly the same job. But not as many of them priceless bling and poseur' points with a plain Jane Ultegra.

6. JohnO

JohnO New Member

When I replaced the headset on my MTB, I briefly looked at the CK headset. USD$140 at the LBS, or $35 for an Aheadset unit. Have to say this, the CK headset was just plain beautiful.

There is absolutely no performance difference between the Aheadset unit, a Shimano 105, a Campy Chorus, or the CK headset. For the price of the CK headset, I bought the aheadset, plus a set of Easton Monkeylite handlebars for my MTB.

Even bling has it's limits...

7. sam218

sam218 New Member

what threadless headsets are good values (in US?)