Christian Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, i'm another christian roadie. Not much diff. to cycling when i was non-christian. I just get convivted when i tell a motorist to get f&*@%d. But cycling in Australia you have always got one foot in your grave and the other on a banana peel, with the clowns driving cars, 4wd's, trucks, 4wd's, 4wd's & 4wd's. Although i think it has given me a certain amount of patience while training but i still race way hard.

Agreed! Although I attempt to keep my thoughts and words out of the gutter, sometimes it is rather hard to avoid letting loose with a tirade of abuse when you see your life/safety flash before your eyes due to idiot drivers who drive around in a world of their own (or just don't care).

Can you please be more specific when you say Christian,do you mean baptists,jehova's whitneses,pentecostals or the real Christians like the Orthodox or Catholics (at least they weren't founded in the last 150 years but more like 2000 years ago !) because we ride bikes too.Funny...but i never even thought Christian+Bike=?
I hope i did not offend anyone,i hope.
Thank you
P.S...maybe now somebody will ask of jewish bicyclists,or maybe muslim ? why not....!

I call myself a Christian since I believe in Jesus and have the Holy Spirit within me. The word 'Christian' means 'Christ in me'. So whether you worship at a Baptist, Catholic or any other church, I think as long as you love Jesus and believe He died to save us all, you're part of the Family.
I think the dude who started this thread didn't mean to discriminate or exclude anyone, but was simply interested to see if there were others out there with a similar worldview as him and also had a passion for cycling. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
The two (faith and sport) don't need to go together, but shouldn't necessarily be separate either.

Jess it seems like you understand me perfectly. The two need not go together, but in my case they do. I was simply doing exactly what you said, and finding out if there were others out there who had the same faith as I did!

see ya

I too am a God fearing Jesus Christ following man who happens to enjoy cycling. I have no affiliation with a particular denomination, just a lover of Jesus Christ and His word.

I find it amuzing how non-believers get so upset over threads like this. Wonder what causes the need to respond instead of realizing it is not about them and move on?

Praise Him always!

Pman, I guess us Infidels/Heathans feel that a Bicycle Forum may not be the best venue for Religious/Political discussion.

:)

Shabby, sprocketgrinder. Just out of curiousity, why should cyclists that want to profess their faith be an irritation? And why do you feel the need to put them down?

I am a Christian that has ridden with Christians, atheists, Muslims, agnostics, Hindus, Wiccans, and lawyers, and while we all may have a different spiritual longing, we all agreed on the pure, earthly joy of cycling.

Any discussion on Christianity is going to generate debate like this. This is because Christianity preaches "exclusivity". ie. if you are a christian, you are saved having believed that Christ died for your sins and you have a relationship with the one and only true God, a relationship that "non christians" do not have.

Thus this segregation/antagonism is to be expected. However, the bible teaches us to be loving to all people so as to win them over.

To the Christians out there: Good on you for raising the topic.

To the non-christians: please do not be offended by our "compartmentalism".

PS I am a bible believing Christian

Good point. Regardless of whether we're talking about faith or any other interest, worldview, hobby, whatever - people are naturally drawn to those with a common interest or belief. And there will be anomosity from those who don't agree or have no interest in knowing more about the common bond that group shares. That's cool.
However, we're all on this forum in the first place coz we have a common interest in cycling of some sort. We all cycle for different reasons, but most of us get fitness, competition, enjoyment etc out of it, but I don't think it's wrong to seek something deeper in the hours you spend spinning out the kms with a bunch of people or even by yourself each day/week. Regardless of whether you believe God created the world, we've all got to lift our heads at some stage and admire our world's beauty just on sunrise (when everyone else is still in bed!) or the view from the top of a climb you've just conquered. And the conversation and fellowship you have with those you cycle with usually makes those times all the better. :)

Originally posted by chuy
religion is soooo over rated

And yet you chose to read and reply to this particular title. Hmmmm. Not so overated as you would have us believe.
"Me thinks he doth protest to much?"
Could there be an underlying desire to know more about the relationships to Christ represented among this chat?
After all is said, done (and argued about) aren't we talking about a relationship rather than a religion?

Food For Thought

Originally posted by Specialized27
Well I understand that some people might do that, but honestly any person who is truly a christian would ride with anyone. I dont care what someone believes in, and even though it might be something I wouldn't do it does not give me the right to look down on someone. I would never pass up the opportunity to ride with someone regardless of age, or race, or religious background....some people might do that, but I am not one of those.......good point though

I am not christian, however, have absolutely no problem with religion and those who choose to follow whichever god they wish. I do have a problem with certain religious types who are contemptuous of those who who do not have the same beliefs as they. Let me state a specific cycle related incident:

I was Mountain biking on a pretty long trail and caught up to 2 guys taking a break. I said hello, and that I didnt really know the trails out this far. They said I could follow them if I would like. We all three rode together and had a good time for about 45 minutes and came to a clearing to take another break.

One guy began conversation with me in an unusual manner:
"Where do you think you go when you die?" He asked
I pointed to a muddy pond and sarcastically responded "In there," I thought he was just joking. I was also sorta creeped-out to be alone with strangers in the woods asking me where I might go when I die.
"No really, where do you think we go when we die", he said.
"Well, I dont know really.. Six feet under is where our bodies go", I replied.

We talked for a minute and he started asking me if I believed in the son of God, Jesus. What did he mean to me, etc. Being somewhat taken aback I said I was not religious, per se. I also told him that I would rather not get into a religious discussion in the woods with a stranger, and would like to enjoy the outdoors and possibly meet some new friends. He then yelled at me to "Get lost!". So.. I rode off without a word.

These are the sort of antics that put me off to christianity/religion in the first place. That and the strangers who wont leave your doorstep without handing you a pamphlet about their 'one true god'. How many one true gods are there?

Like I said, I have no problem with religion.. whether its Christianty or anything else. If it helps you get through your day, more power to you! I do really hate someone who attempts to force their values off onto an unsuspecting stranger. Unfortunately, historically Christians have had a problem with that.

dclnmurray,

I know this to be true. I didn't have to read it though, I was given the sight to see it.

I too love life and cycling.

K

If I convert to Christianity, will I be able to ride my bike faster? Are Christians faster on bicycles than Jews and Muslims?

Originally posted by Specialized27
Hey,
I was just wondering who all out there was a christian cyclist? I am and am very proud of it! So just let me know who you are out there, and if you are not a christian DO NOT use this forum as a christian bashing forum....thanks,

Godbless,

Kyle

This seems very stupid.

Originally posted by Hassaan
This seems very stupid.
'

religonreligoni'mtalkingaboutreligondon'tyouloveit?!

I am a Christian, I am a cyclist.

Hassaan needs to find a new forum.

Graison

Status
Not open for further replies.