Christian Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I am a Christian as well. I am also a cyclist, although I am a Christian first because I think my everlasting spirit comes before this world, and all the things in it. I as wll do not unsderstand why the minute someone or a group of people profess their faith (as they should) that they get railed for it? Why is it that we as Christinas get loped into the same category as other religous faiths that believe in God?
I for one following God's word will not poke fun at those who choose to lead a agnostic lifestyle. Reason being as I did as well at one point. One's belief is exactly that. We should all just apprecitate just one thing in common, which is the reason we participate here. Just exercise a little maturity, and leave the negatiity to yourself. As the old addage goes, "If you having nothing good to say say nothing at all."

Hunter,
We get nailed for being Christians because we're different to those who don't believe in Jesus or don't believe in anything at all. Many people feel intimidated or confronted by those who stand for something bigger than themselves. However, there are many out there for have had negative experiences with Christians for one reason or another and choose to keep their distance from anything faith-related or 'religious'. Everyone has a choice to believe in whatever they want. Just remember that if you're being persectured for standing up for what you believe in, you're challenging people's status quo and making them think. Keep going, be sensitive and meet people where they're at! :)

Originally posted by Jess
Hunter,
We get nailed for being Christians because we're different to those who don't believe in Jesus or don't believe in anything at all. Many people feel intimidated or confronted by those who stand for something bigger than themselves. However, there are many out there for have had negative experiences with Christians for one reason or another and choose to keep their distance from anything faith-related or 'religious'. Everyone has a choice to believe in whatever they want. Just remember that if you're being persectured for standing up for what you believe in, you're challenging people's status quo and making them think. Keep going, be sensitive and meet people where they're at! :)

;) :D

mountain biking itself is a spiritual experience isn't it? Big mountains are revered by us as they are by other religions, Mt Ararat where Noah landed for the Jews and Christians, Chomolungma is the Goddess Mother of the World to the Bhuddists, Alpe d'Huez, Mt Ventoux for the roadies, and any number of downhill rides or day epics for mtb'ers.
All the people in the world to argue with and we're arguing amongst ourselves. Each to their own, in my opinion and, as long as no-one tries to force their religion onto me i'll happily ride with anyone.
Take care.

Originally posted by lfdavis
Shabby, sprocketgrinder. Just out of curiousity, why should cyclists that want to profess their faith be an irritation? And why do you feel the need to put them down?

Hey champ, you've posted 5 times. It's Cycling forums, not Christian forums.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but people will gag when you try to jam anything down their throat, especially once you invade their environments.

Oh, and at least 8 or 9 religions are wrong if there is one supreme being. At least atheists haven't picked the wrong one.

One of the characteristics of christianity, like other religions and fundamentalist dictatorships, is that the subjects do not consider themselves to be oppressed. They believe that the benevolent deity/dictator has their own best interests at heart and that they'll be taken care of by the father figure of the regime/religion. The leaders of such organizations send forth propagandists/evangelists to give witness to the awesome power of the autocracy and seek new associates to further the cause and increase the mass of the structure.

Those who ask too many questions though or try to discover new truths and challenge traditional dogma risk upsetting the balance of the establishment and endangering the masses. Those heretics they reason, must be shunned for the benefit of the continuum or the powerful wrath of the ruler may come down upon them. The disciples must associate with each other frequently and perform the rituals of allegiance to the potentate to reaffirm belief in the structure and smother any sparks of dissent lest the entire structure start to burn and the scripture/manifesto be exposed as pabulum

The oppressed, subjugated herds of adherents would surely flourish and thrive in the liberated universe that awaits those who renounce their allegiance to the potentate, but attempting to open their eyes to this truth is a futile and sometimes dangerous proposition.

And that’s why I enjoy riding more with folks whose identity is not so closely tied to their religion.

And you are not oppressed by your anti-religion views?

Because you refuse to open your eyes, you are a slave to this world.

The Truth will set you free.

Originally posted by Hunter
I as wll do not unsderstand why the minute someone or a group of people profess their faith (as they should) that they get railed for it? Why is it that we as Christinas get loped into the same category as other religous faiths that believe in God?
I'll take a shot at this one.

What religious persons should consider is that there's something inherently confrontational about the above-mentioned act -- "professing their faith." Mind you, by saying this, I'm not suggesting that it's an act you should therefore refrain from, and keep your beliefs secret. Nonetheless, the antagonistic relationship between believers and non is inherent to the nature of the teachings -- you're in a position of self-proclaimed enlightenment; you know something others do not; you're right, non-believers are fundamentally wrong; they're either subject to a the powerful gift you can offer, or they remain something a bit lower, something to be pitied, or to struggle with if need be. Though I understand fully that many Christians deeply respect a respectful non-Christian, and treat others with compassion, the ultimate reality is that those notions are present and commonly understood, and that creates a dynamic.

It's bound to result in some friction, from time to time. A forum subject like this one, for instance, may seem perfectly benign to you, Hunter, but to some non-Christians, it's a touch threatening; it carries an inherent challenge. You can be the friendliest, most non-threatening guy in the world, but part of the subtext is, "Any other enlightened ones out there also cycle? I could use a cycling buddy that I may actually see in the afterlife, as opposed to one who will rot in hell."

What's this all mean? Well, again, I don't think you should refrain from this kind of professing, or open discussion; I don't think you should avoid seeking out other Christians, even in secular forums. I'm glad you posted this thread. I do think, however, that you need to be accepting of the antagonistic nature of these relationships. Expect to create friction in secular settings.

I, by the way, was raised in a Christian household. I no longer identify myself as Christian, though I consider myself spiritual. I believe in greater truths, so to speak -- but I resist organized religion.

I respect anyone's beliefs whether it be God or other as long as they repect my beliefs, what ever they may be. We live in a society in which we alone are right and if you're not with us then you are against us. I encounter this attitude a lot, especially living in a town dominated by the two most hypocritical religions- the church of LDS and Catholicism (very sorry if I spelled that wrong).
Now, I may still be in high school; but I pride myself on being informed before I make up my mind. I have studied both religions and the conclusion above is my own. I will gladly talk with anyone who wishes to "convert" me to their faith as long as they give me my fair time to talk to them about my beliefs. Not a single person who has wished to convert me has been willing to do this.
Look at the western religions (LDS and Christianity). Included is what is at the heart of our society: a father figure who will punish you if you're not good. You get your one chance and then BAM it's over. Much like our intolerant society.
Look at the eastern religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, ect) and they often wil not "punish" you if you don't play by the rules, but you don't get to move on (whether it be to "heaven" or to a higher state). Eventually, you will figure it out.
I'm not saying either method is right or wrong, but it is interesting how religions often mirror the society that created them. Makes it hard to look at one and truthfully say "that is correct" when you could have just as easily been born under a different religion and therfore believed that it is the only way. Does this mean that a majority of people on earth are doomed to Hell just beacuse they live in a different area than you? Or beacuse they were never exposed to the same religion?
I believe in a higher being that, when you finally believe, will accept you into "heaven" what ever that may be. My beliefs and mine alone. Agree if you wish, don't if you wish not. But, do not label me simply beacuse I do not wish to agree with you and I will return the favor.

Respect others, and they will respect you. Wish life choices were that simple. I've got several worthly personal beliefs, but why do motorists still treat me like a cockroach? Ah, well.......started reading this thread and intially thought it was a trolling exercise. Read more and realised most of it wasn't too bad. Now time to go for a pedal....

I think this!

Many people know about God, but they don't know him.

You see many people can claim to know about lance armstrong from what they read and hear. But we know about him only.
Few can claim to know him.

The same is true about God many people claim to know about God and have ideas that have come from there past experinces and unfortunately christians themselves.

You see religon would say, do this and that and you will make it to heaven. When we all know such laws are impossible to keep...we all fall short.
Where Christianity is Gods effort to reach mankind in the form of grace.
You see the bible teaches us that we have a loveing God who has incrediable plan for our lives, the world would say you come from nothing you are going no where.

Yes you may live a life without God and it may be one that is good, but I beleive with God showing your true path you will reach so much further with peace in ones heart.

You see without God in your life you always be running for the horizon wondering what its all about, there will always be a part missing a longing for something.

Well you see that part is God.

You see the bible explains life as a race with two paths.
One is wide which leads to destruction and many are on it.
The other a path that is narrow that leads to a future, few are running on this path the bible explains.
Which are you running?

The bible talks of people that will be ever hearing but not understanding
You will be ever seeing but not perceiving.
For the peoples hearts have become calloused:
they hardly hear with there ears, and they have closed there eyes.

You see many are closed to God.
Pick up a bible ask God to show himself to you through his writtern word, he will.

You see the bible says that Jesus stands at the door of our hearts knocking!

If you open the door you will be opened to a life so freeing its beyound words.

Take a chance

Ask God to show himself to you.

Or stay on the wide path, blind.

hay God bless you all

To lokstah,
Yes Jesus sure did stir up people in his time to the point he was crucified.
When jesus said statements like "I am the I am" sure caused a fuss.

When we hear the words of Jesus

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my father as well"

This sure stirs people up, depending on what you see?

What do you see freind?

What stirs in your heart when you hear these words?

Originally posted by Specialized27
Hey,
I was just wondering who all out there was a christian cyclist? I am and am very proud of it! So just let me know who you are out there, and if you are not a christian DO NOT use this forum as a christian bashing forum....thanks,

Godbless,

Kyle
I'm also a Christian and darn proud of it too.

I DONT CARE ABOUT U OR WOT U WANT TO BE. AT THE END OF THE DAY I'M GOIN INTO MY GRAVE AND U INTO URS. SIMPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.